Lens Servicing

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'm lucky enough to have been gifted a Sigma 150-500mm 5-6.3 APO lens (Nikon Mount) but the zoom mechanism is quite stiff and there seems to be some spots on the inner lens... can anyone recommend a good lens servicing company please..?
Many thanks

Arry

Site Supporter
Would the Nikon Chaps work on a Sigma lens...?
(Casting my net wide)

DFL

Site Supporter

Arry

Site Supporter
Just found the Sigma servicing company... they are in Welwyn... will give them a ring in the morning if they can't help, I'll try the others... many thanks chaps

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's easy enough to do DIY mate.
1) Take lens into shed and trap tightly in a vice
2) Extend lens to full length and gently cut about 2 inchs from the end using a hacksaw (half blunt blade is best)
3) take the two halves and put them in the dishwasher on hottest cycle possible
4) dry using the wifes best hairdryer (this has the added bonus of not leaving water marks on the inside of the lens)
5) get a cotton bud/ ear bud and smear copius amounts of copper grease around the workings inside the extending part of the lens and around the outside where it slides into the main body
6) making sure the two sides of the cut are clean mix araldite and stick back together
7) if you've followed these instructions to the letter you now have a wonderful ornament, have created some wonderful new swear words and discovered a much higher level hatred for Trogg
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Trogg .....Alan, Do you get many enquiries/orders to carry out lens servicing/repairs? :unsure::oops:;)

Not many, don't know why, i blame the imeegrunts, brexit, the EU, Corbyn, Abbot, the IRA, Hammas, Basques, ISIS and Trump... they're all conspiring against me!

Total

Site Supporter
Not many, don't know why, i blame the imeegrunts, brexit, the EU, Corbyn, Abbot, the IRA, Hammas, Basques, ISIS and Trump... they're all conspiring against me!

Can't keep everyone happy mate! :ROFLMAO::giggle:

Arry

Site Supporter
It's easy enough to do DIY mate.
1) Take lens into shed and trap tightly in a vice
2) Extend lens to full length and gently cut about 2 inchs from the end using a hacksaw (half blunt blade is best)
3) take the two halves and put them in the dishwasher on hottest cycle possible
4) dry using the wifes best hairdryer (this has the added bonus of not leaving water marks on the inside of the lens)
5) get a cotton bud/ ear bud and smear copius amounts of copper grease around the workings inside the extending part of the lens and around the outside where it slides into the main body
6) making sure the two sides of the cut are clean mix araldite and stick back together
7) if you've followed these instructions to the letter you now have a wonderful ornament, have created some wonderful new swear words and discovered a much higher level hatred for Trogg
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
Might as well go down this route.....
Sigma's service dept said.... and I quote,

"Sorry its a very old lens and we no longer service them, enjoy it for what it is and good luck"

very helpful..... Not

DFL

Site Supporter

Not sure why West Ham can share any blame?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not sure why West Ham can share any blame?

Cos they's Suvveners, but what compounds it, they is from Larndun but not the real one, oh no they is coming from the pretend one in East!!

Arry

Site Supporter
Is this the football thread....? I think not... take yet footy comments over there please...🤬😘

Arry

Site Supporter
Not yet... been trying the zoom mechanism and it seems to be freeing off with use maybe it's been stored for a long time... called the shop back this morning, gonna give me a call back but they are short staffed

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's the lens i'm thinking of mate there should be some tiny screws around the top of the lens, they're about the size of the screws in the arms of your glasses.

Once you get them undone you can gently (very gently) use a soft cloth or a filter bulb to clean the dust off the lens glass, there is another option...give MPB a shout and see what they'll offer you for it in PX for something else ;)

Arry

Site Supporter
If it's the lens i'm thinking of mate there should be some tiny screws around the top of the lens, they're about the size of the screws in the arms of your glasses.

Once you get them undone you can gently (very gently) use a soft cloth or a filter bulb to clean the dust off the lens glass, there is another option...give MPB a shout and see what they'll offer you for it in PX for something else ;)

Hmmmmm reluctant to try this.... I have a habit of breaking/losing things while I am fixing them.... the shop called me back and a full service and clean of the lens is going to be £120 and it's local to me so no postal damage to worry about..