Leicestershire area

Foul hooked

Having recently returned to angling, and finding that quite a few of my old haunts have been taken over by private clubs, become carp lakes or no longer seem to hold fish i am looking for some general info/tips on fishing in the Leicestershire area. I live on the outskirts of the city on the south side (Wigston) and have been fishing the canal and River Soar at Aylestone meadows recently along with a small lake nearby but am looking for a bit of variety. Whilst i am not adverse to a bit of carp fishing now and then i would much prefer mixed waters where i can catch a mixed bag of Roach, Rudd, Bream (or even better Crucian - my favourite fish) etc using standard float/feeder techniques. Is the Soar around Birstall area still free fishing, or day ticket and is it any good these days for example. Anybody fish the Wreake around Brooksby/Hoby area and again is it accessible on a day ticket.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Sounds like your on the right tracks already with birstall aylestone meadows etc, I will add as mentioned above peatling pools the original pool on the left next to the shires pub. There are some lovely silvers In here of a decent stamp that can all be caught short on traditional tactics with maggots. Also shearsby valley has a dedicated silvers lake on arrival at the complex it’s the first lake on the left

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was in Broome Angling for quite a few years and one of their two main complexes is South of Leicester - Kilworth Sticks

They have another set north of Leicester towards Asfordby and you don't need to buy many day tickets before you get your money back. Also used to automatically get you a Leicester Amalgamated card which gives you lots of the River Soar - I assume it still does as I only dropped my ticket for it last year.

<edit> Kilworth is quite commercial in feel, Frisby has 2 commercial type lakes and 3 more natural waters.

Last edited:

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
If you fancy heading Melton way, Eye Kettleby lakes has crucians, roach, bream etc

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I was in Broome Angling for quite a few years and one of their two main complexes is South of Leicester - Kilworth Sticks

They have another set north of Leicester towards Asfordby and you don't need to buy many day tickets before you get your money back. Also used to automatically get you a Leicester Amalgamated card which gives you lots of the River Soar - I assume it still does as I only dropped my ticket for it last year.

<edit> Kilworth is quite commercial in feel, Frisby has 2 commercial type lakes and 3 more natural waters.

The Leivester Amal book was included with the membership book for 2020-21, so I would expect it will be included in next year's.
Broome Angling Society website is here.

Membership runs from the 1st June to the 31st May. I don't know if membership is still open for this year New applications for the 2021/2022 season will be taken from the beginning of May 2021.

crocky

Having recently returned to angling, and finding that quite a few of my old haunts have been taken over by private clubs, become carp lakes or no longer seem to hold fish i am looking for some general info/tips on fishing in the Leicestershire area. I live on the outskirts of the city on the south side (Wigston) and have been fishing the canal and River Soar at Aylestone meadows recently along with a small lake nearby but am looking for a bit of variety. Whilst i am not adverse to a bit of carp fishing now and then i would much prefer mixed waters where i can catch a mixed bag of Roach, Rudd, Bream (or even better Crucian - my favourite fish) etc using standard float/feeder techniques. Is the Soar around Birstall area still free fishing, or day ticket and is it any good these days for example. Anybody fish the Wreake around Brooksby/Hoby area and again is it accessible on a day ticket.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
lakeview fishery landyke lane melton mowbary plenty lakes

Pickard1

Judging on the original post that foul hooked likes mixed silvers fishing, I would definitely recommend Hollows Farm at Thorpe Satchville. Worth the drive from Wigston and 10 miles closer than the pasties at Lakeview!

The river at Birstall is technically on the MAL book, but I've never seen a bailiff.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Makins lakes lagoon and lizard are full of silvers ,loads of skimmers and some big roach which are not fished for normally .
Peatling pools have 3 lakes which have loads of silvers in them (But they do have monster carp in as well ) .

bream fisherman

I agree with Pickard1
Hollow Farm last Thorpe Satchville is a great mixed fishery. Not easy to fish, you have to work at it. Plenty of bream, roach, perch amongst others. With a chance to bag a 10lb+ carp if you want to in the margins. One end is deep (near the carpark) and is great for bream and silvers, whilst the other end is shallow and the big carp hang about round the lilies. good fun. Ive always done best with casters over groundbait for the silvers. half the pegs are staged as well.

If you like summer crucians, and can put up with crayfish, then Whetstone Gorse Phase 2 is good for them. Bit pricey, but worth spoiling yourself now and again. bit 'hook a duck' in the summer.

Foul hooked

f you like summer crucians, and can put up with crayfish, then Whetstone Gorse Phase 2 is good for them. Bit pricey, but worth spoiling yourself now and again]
Have fished whetstone gorse quite regularly. The crayfish can be a pain, but they are getting everywhere these days. Have had some good days sport there with the Rudd and carp on the small lake. there are some decent bream too in the larger lake but it can be hard sometimes once the smaller fish dissapear in the autumn.

Before the latest lockdown started was wondering if there was any small streams/rivers that might be worth a go in winter. Used to fish the Wreake around brooksby many many years ago but had heard that it had gone off due to extraction. Also fished the eyebrook, chock full of roach that came up out of the reservoir but i believe that the farmer has stopped all access now? Anyone know of anywhere on the Sense/wreake etc that still holds a decent number of fish?

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Had some fantastic roach out of Makins in the winter, casters. Was some time ago, keep wondering about a trip back. Lake 5