Lego or ring?

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
While sat in the pub last night and rather merry on a few JDs me and the Mr got talking about Lego and how growing up I always wanted Lego but year on year I never got any. Not having a brother either I had to settle on playing with the school Lego. 😞

It led us to talk about how much I would love the Lego Millennium Falcon. All 7541 beautiful pieces of it. When built it's 84cm long, 54cm wide and 21cm tall and costs a meager £650.
But it really is spectacular.

Screenshot_20211017-070055.png

Now for some reason, known only to the Mr, he decided to ask the question. "Would you prefer the Millennium Falcon Lego or an engagement ring?"
What a ridiculous question I thought and or course I immediately said the Millennium Falcon Lego!!!
Much to Mr Munch's horror and some muttering about saying that I said that a little too quickly for his liking....blah blah blah!!!

Oooops!!! 🤷

But now I'm sat here reflecting on last night's drunken conversation over a nice pot of hot steamy coffee and I've realised that now sober. I would still prefer the Millennium Falco Lego. Sorry darling. 🙈

Now, don't get me wrong. My choice of Lego over ring is not from a lack of love that I have for the Mr. It's more to do with a lack of love for jewellery.

That leads me to my question....

What were your favourite toys growing up? Do you still have any and/or use them now? Train sets? Models? Lego? Etc. Is there any you really wanted growing up or that you would love to own now?

ravey

I must admit, I liked my Lego. We had a biscuit tin full of bricks, and it was possible to build a pitched roof house out of what was in the tin. My dad always used to on about how painful it was to tread on…!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Tonkas were my favourite toys. We lived on the edge of a building site being one of the first houses on a large estate. I used to watch all that machinery and was obsessed by it. Played with the Tonkas in the garden for hours on end. I had the one with the back hoe and the bucket on the front just like a real JCB.

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
Site Supporter
Meccano and a Mamod steam engine, sadly long gone but probably worth a bit now...
I forgot the hovercraft that my brother-in-law built me, had a glow plug engine in it....

Attachments

• img446.jpg
    img446.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 14

MrBen

Site Supporter
I’m still a brick head, and enjoy my lego. Whether it’s building my latest set or playing the games on my Xbox, forza with a lego cat is awesome, you can’t beat threading past things that look like superstars whilst driving some lego 😎

Rob F

Site Supporter
Had loads of lego and loved it, all passed on as I got older.
Also had and prized a full set of all five thunderbirds, 1 to 5, wish I'd hung on to them as I understand they're worth a bit now!
First air rifle from my grandad at 8 yrs old, a 177 which proved to be really bad news for action man.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
It's hard not to say Lego. We never had any sets bought for us as such, just a large pile of mixed bricks and stuff that got made into never ending things.

Usage only subsided when I got my first computer, all hail the mighty second-hand ZX81 with the 16k ram with the dodgy connection.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had a Johnny Seven, but my fave toys were my Meccano set and me fishing rods

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never had a favourite toy, my passion was for books, still is today.

My favourite books as a child was the set of Encyclopedias my parents bought when I was about 7 years old. I must have read every page.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Same Geoff. I remember getting a 12 volume set of the Waverley Encyclopaedia. Absolutely stunning looking set. I was about 8yrs old & didn’t appreciate it until I started secondary school when it came into its own. I’m sure my Grandparents, who brought me up, got it on the tick. It’s still in my book case, though, looking as great as the day it was bought. My 3yr old granddaughter loves looking at the pictures…..

Browner

Site Supporter
One of the joys of having a son is that you get to play with all your childhood toys again.
Lego, love the stuff. we spent hundred of hours playing with Lego. Totally timeless.
Hornby and Scalextrix, brilliant.
Meccano, Action Men, Matchbox cars, Airfix, the list is endless.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Same Geoff. I remember getting a 12 volume set of the Waverley Encyclopaedia. Absolutely stunning looking set. I was about 8yrs old & didn’t appreciate it until I started secondary school when it came into its own. I’m sure my Grandparents, who brought me up, got it on the tick. It’s still in my book case, though, looking as great as the day it was bought. My 3yr old granddaughter loves looking at the pictures…..
I joined the Army when I was nearly 18, while I was away my mother got rid of the Encyclopedias as nobody else had an interest in them. My mother had loads of reference books which were promised to me if and when she died. Her second husbands family sold them and the majority of her possessions without us even get a chance to collect anything.