Lee Thornton Video - Shotting?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have just watched a video featuring Lee Thornton fishing Partridge for F1s in Winter. In going through his two rigs using identical floats I cannot reconcile his shotting to the float's stated loading.

Floats used were 4x12. This equates, as I would expect, to 0.256g according to this shotting calculator

Angler's Shotting Calculator

Rig 1, track. Shotting 2 No.10 and 3 No.12. The shotting calculator shows this to be a total of 0.096g using shot and 0.262 using Styls. Lee does not mention Styls so I assume he is using standard shot.

Rig 2, far bank. Shotting 5 No.10s. This equates to 0.15 in shot and 0.175 in Styls.

Not only is the stated shotting way under the apparent capacity of the float but the two don't match up in total weight.

I use floats marked in grammes and I know that a 0.2g float (BGT) takes 7 No10s (0.21g). A 4x12 should take approximately 25% more loading (0.256g). So there is no way I can see a 4x12 fishing correctly using the shotting Lee describes.

Can anyone help me understand something I am obviously not getting.

The video in question is below and the shotting is mentioned from 24:50 to 26:30.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
maybe he made a mistake 🤷‍♂️
maybe it was part of the post production team putting bits of recording together 🤷‍♂️
maybe we shouldnt believe all we see and make up our own minds lol 🤷‍♂️
Maybe the person who makes the floats marked them wrong 🤷‍♂️
Maybe contact him to find out :unsure:

Certainly doesnt add up as you have clearly shown :)

piscatorial

My chart differs to the calculator slightly

Spilt_Shot_Conversion.jpeg

his 2xNo 10 plus 3x No12 = 0.14g

his 5x No 10 = 0.2g

The R.H. table is wrong on some equivalents lol

Philnun87

I couldn’t see, but maybe he had some shot under the stem of the float, but can’t imagine he would have that much there surely.

He’s a professional and I am clearly not, but tbf I don’t see why you would have a 2 shot bulk and then droppers, why not just spread say no 11s throughout if you want a nice slow fall