LED kitchen cabinet lighting

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Hi
I’m considering buying these from Screwfix

I want to cut them into lengths to fit accurately underneath my wall cabinets. I am quite competent at soldering RGB cable to the cut copper terminals. My real question is by me increasing the overall length of the product would it have a detrimental effect upon the driver.

To buy the individual items separately online is in excess £75 :unsure:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The length of the strip is 5m and can be cut down to suit.
Do you mean to cut it into strips and connect the strips via soldered wire across all wall cabinets ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
a couple year ago, i had course to rout out an untold length of MDF boxings to take this stuff

each run was around 4mtrs in length, the glowed as bright at the end of the run as at the start

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
The length of the strip is 5m and can be cut down to suit.
Do you mean to cut it into strips and connect the strips via soldered wire across all wall cabinets ?
That’s correct Dave. The overall customised length maybe as much as 9m by the time I’ve ran the wire to the other side of the kitchen.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I can't see how it would affect it over that run.
The only thing I would say is you will be restricted to just one light setting.

I've got LED lighting under the wall units in our kitchen, above a set of tower units and down lights in the ceiling, and ceiling mounted extractor, plus a display unit.

The lights are set up so the LEDs have individual controls for luminance, but are switched so that the ceiling lights are seperate, the display cabinet and diagonally opposed tower unit lights are on another switch, and two diagonally opposed sets of LED's under wall units are on a third switch. The extractor is independantly switched

For effect it works really well, but tbh once you set the LED's with the remotes the remotes will end up in a drawer unused after the novelty wears off

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
im pretty sure the sparkys joined any of the lengths together with a tape type thing ?

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
@Dave why would it be restricted to one light setting. I was under the impression the remote would still have all its functions. To be honest for that price I wouldn’t be too bothered if I buggered it up ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I meant whatever you set the light at would be the same across the room

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
I actually found this video very helpful and also strangely therapeutic!!!