Leads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillm

Hi, I am looking to get a few leads to use with PVA mesh bags on a quivertip. Am I best getting inline ones and should they be fixed or free running. I already have the guru speedmesh and I don't cast very far. Also does the brand matter?

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Same as Newie, but much prefer the square leads as I find they dont bury as easy.

walkerc3

Proud Geordie
If your not castine very far you could go on lighter leads. I personally think the GURU square leads are amazing and would always recommend them . The square design keeps your lead in place once its hit the bottom so you know when the PVA is melting your hookbait wont move away from your freebies. I like the 2/3oz lead for most of my tip fishing.

As for free-running or fixed I always use free running for fish safety but it would depend on fishery rules. The Guru PVA melts pretty quickly but you can experiment with different PVA's and see the rate of breakdown. Ive experimentedwith the Korum and Guru and found the Korum better for deeper water.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by svenc

Same as Newie, but much prefer the square leads as I find they dont bury as easy.

distance style leads are fine mate, as you have light leads 1.5oz, with the PVA bags, so its going to sink slowly anyway....

Larry

Lazarus
I was thinking of getting some of the Solar pva bag systems looks an easy way of attaching Pva bags.
http://www.solartackle.co.uk/adv_rg/adv_rg03.html#pvaclip
or the pva bag ring swivels
Also looks agood way of attaching pva bags

http://www.solartackle.co.uk/adv_rg/adv_rg04.html#pvabagring

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
dont see the point in those larry, why not just thread the PVA stick onto your hook link or attach the hook to the bag if your using bags.....

walkerc3

Proud Geordie
Are you into speciman carp fishing or just normal commercial fishing?

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by walkerc3

Are you into speciman carp fishing or just normal commercial fishing?

sounds like commercial, reading the quivertip bit [8D]

Larry

Lazarus
Originally posted by common_carp

dont see the point in those larry, why not just thread the PVA stick onto your hook link or attach the hook to the bag if your using bags.....
Dave,
I was looking at the point of making things easy for me when attaching the pva bag with own dexterity problems with my hand's .

Brute1981

As a Carp fisherman I'd use inlines every time if I could, the only time I'll consider using anything else is if I'm fishing over silt (lead clip) or fishing chods (square pear).

A inline with the swivel pushed inside the lead will give you the best hookup rate of any lead system, it's safe, one of the least prone to tangling and the best when fishing with solid PVA bags.

Last edited:

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
I just got these In-Line Leads that have rubber washers on that sit in a groove, what you do is place the Lead in the bag up to the groove and roll the rubber band/washer over the neck of it, thus securing the bag, bait and bomb in a tidy package. good for long distance too!

getfishing

Pete
I think Alex Bone said to use a 1oz as you need a bigger lead to overcome the drag of the PVA bag.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by Larry

Originally posted by common_carp

Dave,
I was looking at the point of making things easy for me when attaching the pva bag with own dexterity problems with my hand's .

fair play mate, i wasnt to know [:C]

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by pmdirectuk

I just got these In-Line Leads that have rubber washers on that sit in a groove, what you do is place the Lead in the bag up to the groove and roll the rubber band/washer over the neck of it, thus securing the bag, bait and bomb in a tidy package. good for long distance too!

absolutely useless design IMO been there done it and it never worked

Status
Not open for further replies.