Lazy / Delusional Advertisers

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
The amount of adverts for secondhand gear that just show either a single picture and one line title of what's for sale continues to surprise me. It smacks of laziness as in, it is, what it is take it of leave it, attitude.

if I am selling something then I try to get a number of decent pictures to show the item from every angle and include as full a description as I can, after all I am trying to sell something. Maybe working in the commercial world has geared towards doing this as a matter of course as it seems an obvious thing to do.

Had to laugh at an advert I had seen on Facebook tonight a used Nash Indulgenge MF60 Bed Chair for sale reduced from £450 to £400 when Angling Direct & Bristol Angling are selling brand new ones for £399.99 ! :eek: I have sold a few items on here and have always put what I consider a fair price for a used item, I do wonder if people put a high amount in and keep reducing it in the hope that some sucker will buy it thinking they are getting a bargain.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's a few trying to cash in on the lack of available stock Kev. As for the lack of photo's it could be that some of the allegedly "Immaculate Bargains" may not appear exactly as described. The ones that crack me up are the ones with pictures of gear smothered in crud. 🤣

Whisker

Site Supporter
Some photos are blurred, how hard can it be to retake until you get a good, clear shot?
Makes me laugh when they say “just needs a bit of a clean”... well chuffin’ clean it then!
“This doesn’t work but it’s an easy fix”... well chuffin’ fix it then if it’s that’s simple! 😂

Some of the potential buyers frustrate me more Kev.
Ad says “collection only”, potential buyer asks “will you post...?”.
Ad says “will not split”, potential buyer asks “how much for just the... ?”.
Potential buyer says “I’ll have this, can collect tonight/tomorrow”... bloke never turns up! 🤬

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
even giving things away for free i had muppets saying will i post it! even though all the things i sell/give away always have collection only in bold letters!!!

Also sold stuff and agree a price and the person turns up with £10 less than agreed! (one bloke drove 80 miles for a £50 pair of rods (i did advertise for £80) so he got a great discount then he turned up with £40 and got annoyed when i said sorry but we agreed £50, there is a cashpoint a mile away!!!!)

Or you agree a price including a discount (battery lawnmower), loads of messages, agree collection only and all fine then the next day i got a message saying "can you post as im in london" when we already agreed everything!!!

Even free things people message and say yes i want it, so i then turn down the next 10 people who message and say sorry its gone then the original buyer never turns up to collect the item!

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
"Well looked after, etc., etc.,", then photographed in an overgrown garden with dog poo etc., or photographed in a garage with loads of rubbish on the floor.

I'm afraid, that if people cannot have basic care for the house etc., then I'm very susceptible to how they have looked after their kit. so its not just the article I look at but the background whenever possible plus obviously the feedback.

Bought a pole of someone here, good description, good photo's, good background - Got there - and it (the pole) was immaculate and the garage made me envious - Rolls Royce test bay engineers would have been impressed.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
or pet free home and there is a pic of a dog or cat in the background lol

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I aint good at posting photographs (not to bad on ebay where Ive learnt to use Picasa as a starting point to load pictures)

but I am good at describing the things I sell in words

if I post an ad without pictures, I quite often get asked if I will post a photo, sometimes I can after a bit of struggle, sometimes I cant, if I do miracuously manage to get a picture done, you often hear nowt else from those asking

not everyone is as computer savvy as others, but if you cant take my word for what Im selling is in the condition I have stated it is, the deals off to a bad start from the beginning,

so you might as well look elsewhere, Im never in a great hurry to sell, and am prepared to wait

I would like to think that those that have bought the stuff I have sold on here have been satisfied with my descriptions and the purchase

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I aint good at posting photographs (not to bad on ebay where Ive learnt to use Picasa as a starting point to load pictures)

but I am good at describing the things I sell in words

if I post an ad without pictures, I quite often get asked if I will post a photo, sometimes I can after a bit of struggle, sometimes I cant, if I do miracuously manage to get a picture done, you often hear nowt else from those asking

not everyone is as computer savvy as others, but if you cant take my word for what Im selling is in the condition I have stated it is, the deals off to a bad start from the beginning,

so you might as well look elsewhere, Im never in a great hurry to sell, and am prepared to wait

I would like to think that those that have bought the stuff I have sold on here have been satisfied with my descriptions and the purchase
You did me proud Mick. Thank you. 👍

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Agreed to buy a rod off someone on here. Offered full asking price. Arranged to go the next day and pick it up, 100mile round trip. Cancelled all plans for fishing. Got up the next morning to a PM saying he had decided not to sell. Two weeks later he had the rod back in the classified, £20 dearer.
Needless to say I never bothered

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
There's a few trying to cash in on the lack of available stock Kev. As for the lack of photo's it could be that some of the allegedly "Immaculate Bargains" may not appear exactly as described. The ones that crack me up are the ones with pictures of gear smothered in crud. 🤣
I don’t get that either Peter, why sell something, particularly a seat box covered in Sh1t. It’s not much effort to clean it.

Whisker

Site Supporter
And the ones who say “I’ll have it (at the advertised price). Then you get “Can you knock me a tenner off ‘cos I’m travelling from ***** which is a 50 mile round trip?”

Oh, so you’ll have it but you want me to pay for your chuffin fuel? 🙄 If you want it, come and get it, if you expect me to pay for YOUR fuel... jog on buddy!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I had a recent experience had someone after some tubes to keep ledger tips in. I had one and a top kit tube going spare so sent them free of charge even though it cost me £12 postage and when I sent as msg asking if it arrived ok, all i got back was I'm at work so don't know. Just makes you wish you hadn't bothered. :mad:

@mickthechippy I take your point about there not being many pictures, at least you back it up with a decent description, my post was more aimed at those shall we say younger people (at the risk of being ageist :D) that could send more pictures and add a description, but it all seems just far too much effort.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Some photos are blurred, how hard can it be to retake until you get a good, clear shot?
Makes me laugh when they say “just needs a bit of a clean”... well chuffin’ clean it then!
“This doesn’t work but it’s an easy fix”... well chuffin’ fix it then if it’s that’s simple! 😂

Some of the potential buyers frustrate me more Kev.
Ad says “collection only”, potential buyer asks “will you post...?”.
Ad says “will not split”, potential buyer asks “how much for just the... ?”.
Potential buyer says “I’ll have this, can collect tonight/tomorrow”... bloke never turns up! 🤬
Or like this ad.

LG Sound bar with sub woofer, wall mounts and remote control. If you can see the ad then it means the item is available, any questions regarding its availabilty will be ignored. Collection only from PE29

First reply question

Is it sold if not how much will you take for it?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
There are those adverts though which go like the following

fishing tackle for sale

and contain a single picture of a jumble of items, rods, reels, boxes etc

Ive answered a couple like that and asked for a contact number, which often takes a while to come through

on calling I find out, its a relative of someone who has died and they are clearing the house-property

so I arrange a visit-look see,

the person selling often has no idea what the gear is and asks me to make an offer or states the price they think its worth

little bit of negotiation and the offer to take the lot ( and other random stuff on occasion) sees me going home with some pretty good bargains

sort what I want to keep, and resell the rest

gotta take a chance when its there

stikflote

Site Supporter
I had better check my advert. then.
i did have to put it had a barrow with it i had never used it, it is hanging in my tool shed,
and i had totally forgotten. it