Lawn Farm Honeysuckle

Stewie74

Site Supporter
This morning was my latest (4th) adventure in match fishing. Along with 19 other intrepid anglers I made my way to Lawn Farm fishery near Cambourne, on the outskirts of Cambridge. A quick pit stop at McDonalds en route, and I arrived at 8 o’clock. The forecast was for cold, light northerly breeze, with sunny spells and a shower at around the all-out time.

The socially distanced draw took place at 0830, with 40 pegs on the Honeysuckle lake we would be well spaced out with alternate pegs empty. Stocked with F1’s to 4lb, carp to 12lb, bream. 0811E531-4951-4A49-9E02-3E9EA5C98F5C.jpeg

Honeysuckle is the snake lake at the bottom of the complex, the pegs run anti-clockwise from the car park, so my peg 15 was about half way along the straight bit at the bottom left of the pic. About as far away from the flyers and recent match-winning pegs in the high 20’s and 30’s....

Still, the sun was shining and the long walk would do me good (I’m sure im

The peg looked like this:

90B91D1E-393B-4237-8B9B-1FD3F420B64F.jpeg

3AD6184B-E2AC-4159-BE3B-95D456AF0AD8.jpeg

and my set up looked like this:

17DE74FF-026F-4F88-936B-719B420DDA2F.jpeg DC54D5D0-6232-4E40-97C9-21C40D496CAE.jpeg

Not as clinical as some I’ve seen on here, but with an hour to get sorted it was the best I could do 👍

Keepnets were provided by the fishery, ive got to say they weren’t the best, broken rings, dodgy screw threads, but rules are rules so in they went.

Bait table consisted of micros and expanders, sweetcorn, maggot and some Groundbait. Yesterday’s recce had taught me that micros and expanders could produce, and I’d heard that Groundbait and corn in the margins could be good late on.

I had a long line at 13m to the reeds across in about 3feet, two lines at 9m down the track and a fishy looking margin to my left.

At the all in I fed both track lines with micros, intending to start across to try to nick a few early fish. Nobody either side had set up a long line, they were concentrating on the track.

Kicking off across, I fed micros with a toss-pot, lowered in an expander on the hook and settled in. Similarly to my recce yesterday, almost as soon as the float settled it twitched and disappeared, and a small F1’s was on its way to the net. Straight back out, and a couple of minutes later another of a similar stamp was snared.

In the next 45 minutes I had 5 more, and after an hour I had 11lb on the clicker. A decent start I thought. Around me only one other anglers was catching, on the next peg to me. After 10 minutes without a bite, I decided to rest the long line, and try down the track.

Somehow managed to break my cupping kit, snapped off clean at the thread due to my heavy handedness, so I was reduced to feeding groundbait and micros by toss-pot.

A frustrating second hour saw only 3 bites, two small F1’s and a 5lb carp (foul-hooked right in the tail, it felt like a medium sized car on the other end, and took me 20 minutes to land it.

Went back out long, sussed out that feeding a few micros each put-in was the right approach, and during the next hour I had another 6 fish, and had 25lb on the clicker at the halfway mark.

At this point the weather gods decided to play silly buggers, the second half of the match included gusty winds, rain showers, a hailstorm and my personal favourite, a 20 minute full on snow storm.

Anyway, back to the fishing......

Again the long line had gone quiet, and unfortunately the track produced nothing other than 3 small carp in 45 minutes.

I fed the margin to my left with Ground bait and corn, went long for twenty minutes(a couple of carp 1-2lb)then dropped into the margin with some corn on the hook.

My plan of bagging up with margin munters didn’t quite go according to plan, it produced 5 roach totalling a couple of pounds in half an hour.

So my choice for the last 45 minutes was either persevere with the track lines, or commit to the long line and hope the big boys were in the far margin.

I went long, and whilst it didn’t quite live up to the first hour in terms of quantity, the fish were of a slightly better stamp, I had two carp of about 3lb each.

At the whistle I had 37lb on the clicker, which could mean anywhere between 25lb and 50lb in reality.

Started to pack up as the snow started to fall again, and waited for the scales to arrive.

Silvers net first, my 5 margin roach weighed 1lb 11oz. The carp net came in at 38lb 4oz, giving me a total of 39lb 15oz, a warm feeling despite the snow, and a further realisation that I really like match fishing 👍👍

Finished packing and headed for the car in a blizzard, threw the gear in and headed for home.

Result posted on Facebook, winner had 82lb with 63lb, 53lb and 51lb completing the frame. I came 8th out of 20, a result I’m over the moon with. Top 6 all came from the top end of the lake, and I weighed in more than the 4 pegs on my right and the 4 pegs on my left.

So in summary, a very good day, other than the broken cupping kit and a utility room full of wet fishing tackle.

Plenty of bites, plenty of fish, and other than spending too much time on lines that weren’t producing I think I fished an ok match. Didn’t lose more than a couple, and made the most of the area I drew.

Next weekend sees a return to the SWAC Winter League at Bordeaux Pit. Hope we get some warmer temperatures this week as it can fish very hard in the cold weather.

Now settled in with a bottle of Malbec and The Masters final round 🏌🏻‍♂️🍷

Thanks for reading 👍

Stewie

Attachments

• 0629DC1A-C2E0-4A5C-89C5-C0EAD9D205BB.jpeg
    0629DC1A-C2E0-4A5C-89C5-C0EAD9D205BB.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CED4D7D8-7BFA-42B9-9912-DCF1A48A7535.jpeg
    CED4D7D8-7BFA-42B9-9912-DCF1A48A7535.jpeg
    637.5 KB · Views: 10

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Nice write up of a tidy match - think you did well to persevere in conditions like that.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This morning was my latest (4th) adventure in match fishing. Along with 19 other intrepid anglers I made my way to Lawn Farm fishery near Cambourne, on the outskirts of Cambridge. A quick pit stop at McDonalds en route, and I arrived at 8 o’clock. The forecast was for cold, light northerly breeze, with sunny spells and a shower at around the all-out time.

The socially distanced draw took place at 0830, with 40 pegs on the Honeysuckle lake we would be well spaced out with alternate pegs empty. Stocked with F1’s to 4lb, carp to 12lb, bream. 0811E531-4951-4A49-9E02-3E9EA5C98F5C.jpeg

Honeysuckle is the snake lake at the bottom of the complex, the pegs run anti-clockwise from the car park, so my peg 15 was about half way along the straight bit at the bottom left of the pic. About as far away from the flyers and recent match-winning pegs in the high 20’s and 30’s....

Still, the sun was shining and the long walk would do me good (I’m sure im

The peg looked like this:

90B91D1E-393B-4237-8B9B-1FD3F420B64F.jpeg

3AD6184B-E2AC-4159-BE3B-95D456AF0AD8.jpeg

and my set up looked like this:

17DE74FF-026F-4F88-936B-719B420DDA2F.jpeg DC54D5D0-6232-4E40-97C9-21C40D496CAE.jpeg

Not as clinical as some I’ve seen on here, but with an hour to get sorted it was the best I could do 👍

Keepnets were provided by the fishery, ive got to say they weren’t the best, broken rings, dodgy screw threads, but rules are rules so in they went.

Bait table consisted of micros and expanders, sweetcorn, maggot and some Groundbait. Yesterday’s recce had taught me that micros and expanders could produce, and I’d heard that Groundbait and corn in the margins could be good late on.

I had a long line at 13m to the reeds across in about 3feet, two lines at 9m down the track and a fishy looking margin to my left.

At the all in I fed both track lines with micros, intending to start across to try to nick a few early fish. Nobody either side had set up a long line, they were concentrating on the track.

Kicking off across, I fed micros with a toss-pot, lowered in an expander on the hook and settled in. Similarly to my recce yesterday, almost as soon as the float settled it twitched and disappeared, and a small F1’s was on its way to the net. Straight back out, and a couple of minutes later another of a similar stamp was snared.

In the next 45 minutes I had 5 more, and after an hour I had 11lb on the clicker. A decent start I thought. Around me only one other anglers was catching, on the next peg to me. After 10 minutes without a bite, I decided to rest the long line, and try down the track.

Somehow managed to break my cupping kit, snapped off clean at the thread due to my heavy handedness, so I was reduced to feeding groundbait and micros by toss-pot.

A frustrating second hour saw only 3 bites, two small F1’s and a 5lb carp (foul-hooked right in the tail, it felt like a medium sized car on the other end, and took me 20 minutes to land it.

Went back out long, sussed out that feeding a few micros each put-in was the right approach, and during the next hour I had another 6 fish, and had 25lb on the clicker at the halfway mark.

At this point the weather gods decided to play silly buggers, the second half of the match included gusty winds, rain showers, a hailstorm and my personal favourite, a 20 minute full on snow storm.

Anyway, back to the fishing......

Again the long line had gone quiet, and unfortunately the track produced nothing other than 3 small carp in 45 minutes.

I fed the margin to my left with Ground bait and corn, went long for twenty minutes(a couple of carp 1-2lb)then dropped into the margin with some corn on the hook.

My plan of bagging up with margin munters didn’t quite go according to plan, it produced 5 roach totalling a couple of pounds in half an hour.

So my choice for the last 45 minutes was either persevere with the track lines, or commit to the long line and hope the big boys were in the far margin.

I went long, and whilst it didn’t quite live up to the first hour in terms of quantity, the fish were of a slightly better stamp, I had two carp of about 3lb each.

At the whistle I had 37lb on the clicker, which could mean anywhere between 25lb and 50lb in reality.

Started to pack up as the snow started to fall again, and waited for the scales to arrive.

Silvers net first, my 5 margin roach weighed 1lb 11oz. The carp net came in at 38lb 4oz, giving me a total of 39lb 15oz, a warm feeling despite the snow, and a further realisation that I really like match fishing 👍👍

Finished packing and headed for the car in a blizzard, threw the gear in and headed for home.

Result posted on Facebook, winner had 82lb with 63lb, 53lb and 51lb completing the frame. I came 8th out of 20, a result I’m over the moon with. Top 6 all came from the top end of the lake, and I weighed in more than the 4 pegs on my right and the 4 pegs on my left.

So in summary, a very good day, other than the broken cupping kit and a utility room full of wet fishing tackle.

Plenty of bites, plenty of fish, and other than spending too much time on lines that weren’t producing I think I fished an ok match. Didn’t lose more than a couple, and made the most of the area I drew.

Next weekend sees a return to the SWAC Winter League at Bordeaux Pit. Hope we get some warmer temperatures this week as it can fish very hard in the cold weather.

Now settled in with a bottle of Malbec and The Masters final round 🏌🏻‍♂️🍷

Thanks for reading 👍

Stewie
Well done 👏, cracking result ,love the pics and write up , setup looks good to

Total

Site Supporter
Well done Stewie a decent result given the draw and weather conditions....Well angled...:)(y)

......The attached photos in the Lawn Farm thread threw me a bit until I realised they were photos from peg 5 on Magpie at Rookery Waters!;):love::giggle:

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Well done Stewie a decent result given the draw and weather conditions....Well angled...:)(y)

......The attached photos in the Lawn Farm thread threw me a bit until I realised they were photos from peg 5 on Magpie at Rookery Waters!;):love::giggle:
Yes, don’t know why they are there, didn’t mean to attach them😂😂

The pics in the main body are the Lawn Farm ones👍

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Well done. Your setup already looks more professional than mine ... and I’ve been doing this lark for 40 years!!!