Lavender Farm,Match Lake.

1st Mal Smith 67lbs 8ozs
2nd D Corneille 62lbs 8ozs
3rd P Ollerenshaw 49lbs 8ozs
4th TE Payne 38lbs 6ozs
5th P Morton 31lbs 8ozs
6th A Ray 25lbs 0ozs

Total weighed in by 22 anglers 462lbs 10ozs

Lavender Farm Fishery is situated just outside Whitstable in Kent.
It is comprised of two lakes surrounded by orchards,One older,more established and a newer Match Lake that was designed and is run by John "Lasher" Larraman (DELCAC).
Stocked predominantly with Carp (common,mirror & ghost)and carucians,holding 70 pegs, it is very much a pole venue with quite a few features to fish to.Unfortunatly being situated in a small valley it tends to catch any wind that is about .
22 of us turned out to fish the match in weather that left alot to be desired.Stong wind and heavy rain (thank heavens for the Little Chef breakfast beforehand)but surprisingly mild!
Into the drawbag and out comes 30,an end peg which in our club means that you have to pack up 15minutes before the end of the match,and do the weigh-in,but you do get an extra point for being a scalesman.
This peg whilst not a flyer,does have a bit of form,there is a shelf at about 5mtrs which is the feature to fish to in about 4ft of water.I set up 3 rigs,a Drennan .8grm lake 2lb-1.5 bottom 20 PR22hook for the carucians and a Drennan Carp2 4x14 3lb Carptek straight through to an 18 Pr22 plus a preston dibber for the margins.I fed 3 hard balls of Sensas Gold with sweetcorn and caster at 5mtrs and a pot of maggot over the top,both margins were loose fed.Sport was slow but steady all day but tailed right off in the last hour as it got noticably cooler.Most fish fell to double red maggot or corn,and strangly i never had a bite in either margin!Earlier this year i came 2nd in a match with over 60lb all caught in the margins, from 2 pegs away at 28!
Come the whistle and 65 small carp weighed 31lbs 8ozs,good enough for 5th on the day,which just about keeps me in the running.
To sum up Lavender Farm the match lake gets a lot of pressure and probably only 15 of the 70 pegs are winners,but everyone will catch fish,one for the dedicated match man,the older lake is different as matches are not fished on it,it holds larger carp,carucians roach bream and some lovely golden orfe and is a bit more sheltered than the match lake,worth a visit if you are in the area.

The next match is at Rayne Lodge in Essex in 3 weeks time.
Cheers,
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

scouse

'River Man'
hi pete
read match report with interest
one thing puzzled me why scale man has to finish
15 minutes before the rest, dont you have money on the match
or bonus peg if so scale man must lose out
he could get that bonus fish in the time he loses
and also fail to win the match,just a thought pete
t
ightlines dave (scouse)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Dave,
A sore point the lost 15mins,one that we hope to rectify at the next AGM.
It's a rule that dates back in the clubs history to when it was a post office club that only fished for cups with no money involved.As i've said before it is a small friendly club with no pothunters and no large sums of money involved,which is why the rule has probably never been changed.Even today the most important thing are the points towards the club championship and everyone having a good day out.
I think i can honestly say that in 3 seasons fishing with the club i can only recall one person complaining that the lost 15mins had cost him the match,most members take the veiw that it evens itself out over the course of a season.
Anyway we'll see what happens at the next AGM.
Cheers,
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

scouse

'River Man'
hi pete
scouse again point taken the club i fish for
is on the same lines as your club, but no1 has scales
but he finishs as the same as everyone else, no2 takes the the book to record
weights it doe,s not take that long, do you have pools and bonus peg,
no1 and no2 sort monies eg 1,2,3 ect, and lock the gate as you know
we have our own lake tightlines dave(scouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.