late fathers pension

pikey123

i am trying to trace as to whether my dad was entitled to an Army pension, or if he was paid one.
he passed away in 2020 and my mam in april 2019, Dad served in the REME from Jan 1948 till May 1953, and after that asa an Army reserve for 6yrs, i have his Certificate of Service how do i check if he recieved his pension or, when he passed away, was my mother entitled to any of the pension.
i sent an email (i have just come across) to the Veterans UK, but never recieved a reply.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
i am trying to trace as to whether my dad was entitled to an Army pension, or if he was paid one.
he passed away in 2020 and my mam in april 2019, Dad served in the REME from Jan 1948 till May 1953, and after that asa an Army reserve for 6yrs, i have his Certificate of Service how do i check if he recieved his pension or, when he passed away, was my mother entitled to any of the pension.
i sent an email (i have just come across) to the Veterans UK, but never recieved a reply.
When Dad died, a part of his service pension was transferred to Mum as a widows benefit,

my dad served a bit longer than your dad, 25 years in the navy, and was invalided out after that with medical condition that required surgery which meant he could no longer do his job

Mum still gets a monthly payment,

TimFB

Pikey123. My dad was in the RAF almost the same time as yours was in the army. 47-52 I think. He still gets a pension of about 60 quid a month. We get a form every now and then to fill it to check he is still around. I see if I can find anything.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
All I know is that if you left the Army before 1975 and only serving 9 years you do not qualify for a pension. Those who left the Army after 1975 qualified for a pension as long as you served at least 5 years.

I knew I should have stayed in an extra couple of years!!!!

pikey123

thanks for some good info i have e mailed Gov.uk with his Army no. DoB .etc will see what happens.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
It's probably somewhere on the link Dave posted but if not try this address.
Screenshot_20190326-103548.jpg

stikflote

Site Supporter
Whats up with that post its all pixelated just squares and blocks, impossible to read

pikey123

Quick update on dad's pension, phoned today and told that you needed to have 22yrs in to qualify for a pension, before 1975, it changed after 1975,

TimFB

Quick update on dad's pension, phoned today and told that you needed to have 22yrs in to qualify for a pension, before 1975, it changed after 1975,
That doesn’t sound right as my dad gets one for being in at about the same time and length as your dad...did you try the 0800 number?

Chervil

Site Supporter
'The second consequence unfortunately is more straightforward. If you left the Armed Forces before 1 April 1975 but had not qualified for a full pension (that is had served at least 16 years after the age of 21 for an officer, or at least 22 years after the age of 18 for a Rating/Other Rank), then you have no entitlement to a preserved pension. This is because they were deemed to have ‘left early’ under the terms of the Act, and because the scheme was (and remains) non-contributory they also have no entitlement to any refund. The cohort that might be entitled to a preserved pension; is therefore limited to those who left the Armed Forces after 1 April 1975.

There are a select few who, even though they may meet the above criteria, will still not have any preserved pension benefits. These are people who joined on non-pensionable terms (predominantly gratuity-earning short service commissions), members of the Volunteer Reserve, personnel who opted out of the Armed Forces Pension Scheme, and those who transferred their benefits into another occupational pension scheme.'

Luckily I didn't join up until 76, so was part of the scheme. when I left after 14 years, I transferred it (well I was allowed to transfer 2 thirds) to my police pension.