Lasso Hard Pellet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polecup

Yes, I am a
I'm wanting to coat a lassoed pelled so that I can fish it all match and save time having to attach a new pellet every time I catch.
I saw Matt Hall doing exactly this last year and when bagging he was able to ship back out as soon as he'd unhooked the fish.
But the question is what should I use to coat the pellet to stop it taking on water or dislodging from the lasso?

codenamemilo

Use Sally hansens hard as nails nail varnish. pretty much indestructible and its what a lot of the fly tiers use for coating buzzers etc.

Russ G

Rusty
I use artificials.
Also if your going to use artificials or varnished hard pellet,you need a fine meshed landing net otherwise the hair goes through the mesh and snaps of when the fish starts thrashing about.

Last edited:

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Careful with this, varnishing the pellet makes it indigestible & arguably an artificial bait (and its banned at some venues). Oily pellets such as high oil trout pellets or halibuts break down slower & you can always add a food oil to dry pellets.

frog

I have just started using sonubaits s pellets (6mm) on a silicon bait band and they seem to stay put really well. I am no expert though, in fact I only tried it by accident because I found the box of bands in the bottom of my bag, must have bought them years ago and forgot about them.

Kevsmith060

I use a dynamite baits tiger nut pellet banded on a hair, will last a good 30 mins and easy to change when it starts to break down too much.

BBE555

bbe555
Hi there yeah i have used this method for 6 years or so now and any good waterproof nail varnish but you need 3 or 4 coats and let each one dry correctly . Oh you need to varnish last as if you don,t you can,t tie the rig and what i mean is you tie the lasso with the pellet in and then thread on hook and once you have the right space between hook and pellet take pellet out and tie you knotless knot and then place the pellet back in loop and then just dip in the varnish . Note though i tie around 10 of these up as the distance between the hair and hook can have different hook rates on different days . You should be able to catch around 90 pound on one pellet but after that the hair starts twisting and it just don,t sit right .

mikeshe

Instead of using a pellet, wouldn't a pellet shaped piece of spud do the job. It's a lot firmer and won't break down.

Polecup

Yes, I am a
Originally posted by mikeshe

Instead of using a pellet, wouldn't a pellet shaped piece of spud do the job. It's a lot firmer and won't break down.

I have thought of using punched potato, but I need to keep my options open as this hasn't always worked in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.