Lasso hair rigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyts

I bought a packet of hair rigs today,the lasso type for use with a 8 or 12mm pellet but it seems the hairs are really long like they should be used with 20mm bait but ive heard long hairs are better and vice versa so which are better?

I plan to use these in conjuction with the method feeder

[:H][:H]

miker

Something else with the Lasso hair , if its the same as yours... the float stop seems to work loose and the pellet falls out? Did you have the same problem

mattyts

havent tried them yet,i tied my own just like out of the the packet and bought some,ill tell you when i try them for the fist time

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Bit of a simplification, bigger mouth = longer hair & larger bait. So I wouldn't fish for F1s or king carp (mirrors & commons) below a couple pounds with the hair rigs you've got, but they might be spot on for fishing bomb and pellet for bigger carp.

captain boycott

I prefer to have the bait quite close to the hook when fishing a small baited area (like the method or a PVA bag), and a slightly longer hair when fishing over a loose scattering of baits.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Yesterday I found that a longer hair seemed to turn bites into hookups better and I was catching fish (carp, tench, barbel) in the 8 oz to 2lb bracket. I tie my own and the hairs are probably between one and two cm.

But I find the lassoo too fiddly and time wasting. I use the Korum Quickstop and drill my pellets (8mm) with a 2mm drillbit.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Yesterday I found that a longer hair seemed to turn bites into hookups better and I was catching fish (carp, tench, barbel) in the 8 oz to 2lb bracket. I tie my own and the hairs are probably between one and two cm.

But I find the lassoo too fiddly and time wasting. I use the Korum Quickstop and drill my pellets (8mm) with a 2mm drillbit.

Hi Neil

I found the lasso a bit fiddly unitl one day I used my 4 pronged pellet banding tool and used that to open up the loop. Works a treat and I prefer the presentation and avoid the pellet drilling. Try it maybe ?[:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Thing with the quickstop is that I can switch baits between expander, hard pellet and corn (1, 2 or 3 pieces) really easily.

Perhaps as I am retired I have the time to do the drilling without a guilty concience.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
cant u just wrap the hair rig around the hook to make it closer to the base of your hook?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Thing with the quickstop is that I can switch baits between expander, hard pellet and corn (1, 2 or 3 pieces) really easily.

Perhaps as I am retired I have the time to do the drilling without a guilty concience.

Fancy drilling some for me then ?[:I][:T]

pole addict

Originally posted by Anglingman

I found the lasso a bit fiddly unitl one day I used my 4 pronged pellet banding tool and used that to open up the loop. Works a treat and I prefer the presentation and avoid the pellet drilling. Try it maybe ?[:T]

Nice shout Anglingman, I'll deffo give that a try. [:T]

mattyts

Originally posted by danny_glover09

cant u just wrap the hair rig around the hook to make it closer to the base of your hook?
No because it will come unravvelled and kink the line and give poor bait presentation

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by mattyts

Originally posted by danny_glover09

No because it will come unravvelled and kink the line and give poor bait presentation

This can work if you have a piece of silicon tube on the shank. Simply wind line around hook and slip tube over the top to prevent unravelling. A piece of tube can also be used to adjust hair length by pushing the tube from the shank down and round the bend. This does effect how the bait stands off from the hook but does allow a degree of trial and error to help ascertain best hair lenght for your givne circumstances on the day. Once established simply tie up hairs to the correct length.

Status
Not open for further replies.