Laser printers

Sportsman

Site Supporter
My daughter has a small business designing and selling rolls of bespoke gift wrapping paper. She has this printed commercially. She now wants to produce matching name labels or tags, which she is printing herself on an inkjet printer. This works OK, but it is costing a fortune in ink. She has tried cheap generic ink, but the quality is not good enough.
Now she is talking about a colour laser printer, because she believes the quality is high and they are cheaper to run. Are they? If anyone has one or uses one I would be grateful for your insight. I know nothing about them.
Thanks, Dave

davebike1

Site Supporter
I use an old HP 2600 cost used the cost of a set of cartridges just works Quality not as good as a GOOD inkjet but OK
No idea how long the carts last as I not had to replace them in 10 years!

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
A solid ink printer would give you the best quality, they’re quick commercial printers. Years ago I had a techtronics wax printer that produced photo quality prints. The wax inks weren’t cheap and you could only print one side but the quality was brilliant!

Try searching for either solid ink printers or wax sublimation printers, different names for the same thing. They’re not cheap but you might find a decent one on eBay!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I run a HP colour laserjet and the quality is ok. I've not tried it with high quality paper, since it's mostly letters etc. that I print. But block printing a single colour can look a little washed out.

Generic toner cartridges are £30 each (it takes 4 different types) but that should be good for 4000 pages of printing, so it works out at a few pence per sheet. If you can get ten label per sheet then that would be quite a low cost per item.

The advantage of the laserjet is that the toner does not dry out if used occasionally - I binned the previous inkjets for this reason.

commieboy257

Account Locked
I run a little Brother B&W and get 1400 pages out of a cartridge that cost me £14 for 2. The Kodak inkjet we had was slaughtering me on cost.

davylad

Site Supporter
I've had a Brother laser printer for quite a while now, and although I don't print that often it's still got the original cartridge in. If I go a while without printing, there's no problem with ink clogging up. It's a lot cheaper to run than my previous inkjet printers.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Not a techy - but I've been looking at canon ecotank.

They dont have cartridges- just tanks that you refill with ink. Quoted savings seem good.

I guess with heavy usage, at some point the printer heads must need changing.

Worth a look.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve got a Brother laser printer. The running costs are incredibly low. It prints documents beautifully but the quality of photo prints is nothing like as good as my Cannon inkjet.

pies

Site Supporter
I have a dell laser. Print quality is far superior to inkjets. I use generic Toner at £5 a colour. Way superior to injets in every way. Only downside is initial cost bit there are deals around at times

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
A mate uses a thermal wax printer for colour work. I have no idea what the thing cost, or if it offers good milage. The colours are shiny and vibrant, though.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for all of your suggestions. (y)
She has decided on a Canon ink jet with bulk ink tanks.