laser pens.

jimbo1946

Have heard that laser pens,especially green ones,are effective at deterring waterfowl.Was thinking it may be ok on commies but what about places where the general public frequent.My local canal above Shipley in Yorkshire is often besieged with Goosanders, the river Aire that runs next to is plagued by Cormarants.would be great if the laser would work on them.How do you think jo public view my attempts.Would it just be more fuel for the anti's .?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You don't know till you try. Just remember that lasers can be powerful, so be very careful, you don't want to accidentally hit someone in the eyes with it. As for your attempts, I expect that anglers would back you up, who knows, maybe even get one themselves and give you a hand. I have a red dot laser built into the night vision on the gun, no Cormorants or Goosanders on our club waters.

jimbo1946

You don't know till you try. Just remember that lasers can be powerful, so be very careful, you don't want to accidentally hit someone in the eyes with it. As for your attempts, I expect that anglers would back you up, who knows, maybe even get one themselves and give you a hand. I have a red dot laser built into the night vision on the gun, no Cormorants or Goosanders on our club waters.
More concerned with how the public would view the whole thing.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
More concerned with how the public would view the whole thing.

I think they'd understand if you explain the reason why. Our club waters have a public right of way down one side of them and I usually get asked by one or two why have night vision when it's daylight? When I explain the problem and what I'm doing they seem fine with it. There's been no sightings of Cormorants or Goosanders for a while now and the anglers are happy with that.

jimbo1946

I think they'd understand if you explain the reason why. Our club waters have a public right of way down one side of them and I usually get asked by one or two why have night vision when it's daylight? When I explain the problem and what I'm doing they seem fine with it. There's been no sightings of Cormorants or Goosanders for a while now and the anglers are happy with that.
Just ordered one.Watch this space.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Just ordered one.Watch this space.

If I could get there easily, I'd give you a hand. I no longer drive because of health so it makes travelling over there a little awkward. Good luck though. :upthumb:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Do not point it at cars, planes or train's as you will get nicked. Or people come to that. It's been in the angling mags that people using them have been questioned by the police.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It's been in the angling mags that people using them have been questioned by the police.

So have I, but when they hear why and what for, plus show them my bailiff badge, I'm left alone to get on with it. Being in the 'sticks' so to speak has it's advantages in that the local gendarmes know me and what I do, so when they see me with the gun bag over my shoulder all I get is a wave now.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yep, i have a really good one it's red though, got it from Wish for free just paid £1 postage...shine it in their eyes and they soon sod off!

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Is that more powerful than their police badge then? ?

It proves I have a lawful reason for carrying a weapon, and with a dot laser being built into the night vision, there's nothing they can do.

lp1886

It proves I have a lawful reason for carrying a weapon, and with a dot laser being built into the night vision, there's nothing they can do.
I’m pretty sure you need more than a bailiffs badge to carry a weapon. Or is it acceptable so long as it’s used on Poaching Eastern European’s?

rudd

Site Supporter
I’m pretty sure you need more than a bailiffs badge to carry a weapon. Or is it acceptable so long as it’s used on Poaching Eastern European’s?
You can carry one with good reason.
Airgun under 12ft.lb does not need to be licensed BUT all firearms laws apply.
Certain laser pens are illegal, depends on power.
I have a green one with a range of over 2k.
It is used to scare off unwanted wildlife, batteries taken out when not inuse.
Has been used on poachers once from distance.
They disappeared sharpish, as did I! ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter

I have permission to shoot on and around the lakes, and only bailiffs are allowed to do that (unless under certain circumstances, then the bailiff can appoint someone to help) If I did not have the badge, then I have no reason to use a rifle on that land and could lead to some awkward questions.
As for the dot laser, it's lined up with the telescopic sights, so whatever vermin the dot lands on gets shot at. @rudd is correct though, just the sight of the dot laser scatters any poachers too. The dot laser isn't prejudiced or racist, it scares ALL poachers. ;):D