Larger particles for carp.

Silver fan 82

Has anyone had much luck with larger particles such as butter beans, kidney beans and chick peas?
I found some tins lurking in a bag and was thinking of using them.
Any advice or edges always welcomed.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
I know people that use chick peas on our club waters and catch carp on them

Curlew

Site Supporter
Chick peas can be good, although I've never used them from a tin. Always bought them dry and then soaked and boiled them.
Some people flavour and/or colour them, but I prefer them as they come to be honest.
A good, cheap bait.

Silver fan 82

Chick peas can be good, although I've never used them from a tin. Always bought them dry and then soaked and boiled them.
Some people flavour and/or colour them, but I prefer them as they come to be honest.
A good, cheap bait.
Will give them a go. Do you personally use th on the hook and as loose feed too?

squimp

Site Supporter
Maple peas are excellent, carp and tench love them. Cook em until just soft.

chick peas and black eye beans also. Back in the day we used to cook up the dried ones in tomato soup.

ive had a few tench on butter beans but nowhere near as good as the aforementioned trio.

pinto beans, borlotti Etc - all work.

Silver fan 82

Maple peas are excellent, carp and tench love them. Cook em until just soft.

chick peas and black eye beans also. Back in the day we used to cook up the dried ones in tomato soup.

ive had a few tench on butter beans but nowhere near as good as the aforementioned trio.

pinto beans, borlotti Etc - all work.
I've seen maples pre prepared in bags mixed with hemp and wheat but where do you get them from?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Animal feed shops are the best bets preferably those that have a side arm in fishing baits. I’ve very limited experience of using them just got some to try. Not much cop on the river from a few casts so far but apparently good on Stillwaters.

Silver fan 82

Animal feed shops are the best bets preferably those that have a side arm in fishing baits. I’ve very limited experience of using them just got some to try. Not much cop on the river from a few casts so far but apparently good on Stillwaters.
I have a shop like this near me. Will have to pay the a visit at some point.

Silver fan 82

Well Chickpeas work!
Went to a local lake today and first had a Bream about 3 - 4 pounds followed by 19 lb common! Wasn't expecting anything that big seeing as its so hot today.
I mixed a tin of chickpeas, kidney beans and butter beans in a bucket, added some 4mm pellets and some krill liquid. Hair rigged a chickpea on a size 10, inline running rig.
Nice and simple how I like it.
Going back tomorrow for another go!

Silver fan 82

^^@Silver fan 82 .....Nice one...(y):)
Cheers mate!
Tried a boilie after the Bream which came on a chickpea but only had little bleeps on the alarm. Switched to a chickpea and about half hour later the rod tore off and had the common. Buzzing to be honest mate. Not had alot of luck on the carp front lately so was a nice confidence booster.

Total

Site Supporter
@Silver fan 82 ....Always nice when a plan comes together and sometimes a return to 'basics' can yield stunning results as you've shown...;)

Never be afraid to try multiple chickpeas on hair either.....(y):giggle:

Silver fan 82

@Silver fan 82 ....Always nice when a plan comes together and sometimes a return to 'basics' can yield stunning results as you've shown...;)

Never be afraid to try multiple chickpeas on hair either.....(y):giggle:
Good idea mate! Going back tomorrow so will try a few on the hair.
Going go fish the method feeder for the Bream too as there were quite a few fizzing today.