Large potato

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
now that would attract a premium price in the supermarkets as a "baking" potato

proper pees me off that does, all those years of buying spuds that came in all sizes, then some bright spark in the marketing departments decide that bigger spuds shoud be culled out and packaged at premium prices because they are just large

leaving the bloody small ones to be sold for everything else, far more peeling involved to get enough for a dinner

even my local farm shop that sells 10 and 25 kilo bags has got on the banwagon thus

nice spud by the way, how you eating that ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I bought half a sack from the farm shop, £6.00 for 13kg, can't fault it, lovely spuds nice and solid, not too watery, but they had mud on them :eek:

I had to explain that those spuds you buy in the supermarkets at inflated prices have been washed and you've paid for that privilege.

A ten minute soak in the sink, quick rub over with a green scourer, and they were up to her ladyship's expected standard.

Total

Site Supporter
I bought half a sack from the farm shop, £6.00 for 13kg, can't fault it, lovely spuds nice and solid, not too watery, but they had mud on them :eek:

I had to explain that those spuds you buy in the supermarkets at inflated prices have been washed and you've paid for that privilege.

A ten minute soak in the sink, quick rub over with a green scourer, and they were up to her ladyship's expected standard.
With 5 KG's worth of mud on 'em?:D:ROFLMAO:

G20

Site Supporter
Bit late for digging spuds?................. didn't they get frosted in the cold weather we had?

Dug up and gave my neighbour a few spuds last year (variety 'Charlotte');... she exclaimed "they have mud on them"!
I pointed out that the skins will toughen if they are washed and won't scrape so easily. Not sure if there's any truth in that
.....do you know if that's a fact?

davylad

I'm going to have to start buying them again, the farmer I know has supplied McCains for years. He told me he's knocked it on the head, to grow grass for pellets, as there more money in it, and less hassle. I said "what do I do now" I mean even after a bad days fishing I always had a bag full of spuds to take home.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Do you always bury a set of scales with your potatoes? This may be where I'm going wrong.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When we were kids my dad would tell us he was growing "utch up spuds". He would say that if we bent our heads to the ground we would hear the potatoes saying utch up to each other because they were so big and needed the others to move to make more room. Happy memories, he now does it with his great grandkids.