Large Chub!!! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
I fish the river Tees at Croft and there is big chub there, they has to be, only they never get caught, i know a lot of anglers who fish there and they hear of big chub. Big ones hav to be there the record wasn't that far away. When i fish it i cant get anything bigger than 2.5lb [:)] a three pounder seems to be a push. It is heavily fished at weekends (club matches). Any tips on how to lure the larger chub? And what methods should i use?

cosmicgunge

Last edited:

scouse

'River Man'
hi
what i would do
is go light and walk to a meadow
no one fishers, or cut out a swim yourself thats over grown, if its heavily fished
they wise up,
so walk it will be worth it[:p]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

ray

try using a different bait, if it is quite heavily fished then you may find a lot of anglers use the likes of bread and meat, try a worm or a big black slug.

think green...keep the banks clean.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Try fishing a lure, a crank bait(plug) 3-4inches long. Before you say forget it I have taken several chub from 4-5lb 6oz on a 5 inch jointed plug.
Bait with mashed bread allow to rest for an hour then leger or float fish bread flake.
Fish in to the dark with big baits like a piece of meat 1"cube on a size 4 hook.
Leger a dead minnow.
The list goes on, as as been said fish a different method and bait from everyone else

chill out go fishing

mookie

mookie
Hi Jucieymoose --- Mookie here l fish at Croft quite regulary as l live in Darlington....in fact going this weekend l hope !!!
As for the chub l prefer bread flake with a cage feeder crammed full of liquildized bread....sorted !!!!!
Also mate try fresh mussels they catch chub as well just ask Norm ....l take them everywhere now.....

Anytime you want a session on the bank just let me know as l go near every weekend.....

Cheers....MOOKSTER.....

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Come on then Trogg,
Time to give the lads the benifit of your experience [;)][B)][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

paul mc

Hi granjuiceymoose
The best methon ive found for chub
is to ledger alarge piece of hair rigged cheese
(about 1"square) over a bed of hemp.
Or just let a piece run thro the swim with no weight
attached (freeline). The chees i use is
Edam with garlic and herbs which you can get from asda.
It has a green coating as opposed to normal
Edam which has red.
hope this helps[:)]

Regards Paul Mc

Steve

Hi Granjuiceymoose,
I fish a river that is heavily fished, mainly because it's free.
I have found quivering a block end feeder with most of the holes blanked off using maggots works well.

You get a very slow release of maggots down your hook length, which by the time the chub have come up the trail of freebies they are a bit more confident with your hook.

I'm not familier with the river you mention but if you can find a stretch that is shallower than the rest it can hold a few bigger fish because of the faster flow.

Water fowl permitting, floating baits where it is shallow work well too. A freelined worm or slug could work.

Good luck.

Steve

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Thanks every1 ill give it a go next time im down! tell You how i get on in the future! Thanks again.

cosmicgunge

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try buying some petit pans & tearing a chunk off the end of one, then just trot it down stream as far as you can, with no shadows etc on the bank a big chub might just decide to have a go.

Well it worked for me on monday anyway [:)]

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

scouse

'River Man'
hi trogg
dont you mean
peas in the pod to put it simple LOL

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.