Landing net rest

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I don't use the leg on my Nufish side tray so I adapted an old roller top. In practice I usually just hang the net on it.
20220216_101152.jpg
Doesn't the lid of the side tray stop you reaching the net if it's open?

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Threaded insert in the top of seatbox leg (rear left) and then a Preston butt gripper rest.

I do the same as Mr Ben using Preston's butt grip on an arm to my seat box to stop the pole wandering off in a breeze. The front end normally rests on the ground. If I'm using a chair then same grip on a bank stick

Deejay8

Site Supporter
When I used my Shakespeare box, I used to lay it across the little plastic side tray that comes with the box, and I had a rod rest on bankstick a few feet behind to keep it level. Then to the left-hand side I had my bait on a Drennan Baitwaiter on a bankstick. This has since been slightly refined to tripods instead of banksticks and the rod rest has been replaced with a small Seymo V pole roller head. When I get a proper modern seatbox, I will lay it between the side tray and the box on the attachment arms and put the net head over the front leg on the footplate. I may still have the roller/tripod set up behind.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
A thing I need to think about on the fishery I want to try is space behind me. 3 lakes and like I say you can park right by the swims. Don't want my handle to get run over.

Screenshot_20220216-091717_Earth.jpg
It looks like Elon Musk's space rocket* .

*Not a euphemism

Expanda

Doesn't the lid of the side tray stop you reaching the net if it's open?
While I'm getting down to the top kit I nudge the lid with my elbow then grab the net. I've got the stays on the lid adjusted just right.
I rarely have the lid fully open. Works for me👍🏻

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I usually place the butt of my landing handle on my sidetray, then carefully place the net head into the most thorny hawthorn bush / bramble patch on the pond.
It just saves time when I lose the fish.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
And after posting that picture I have just realised the lakes/ ponds make an interesting Shape.

Thought I would put that out there before certain members come along... 🙄

Indeed. If you turn it to the left it looks quite like a Cormorant’s beak.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@tipitinmick that particular venue is chard resovoir and the ducks and one swan in particular just comes and bugs me no matter where on the res I fish he just stays the 3m away from landing net distance but when your distracted he's in eating ya pellets n corn like huge white stealth eating machine and I'm not sure if guru orange would help or not, but I'll try it for science 😂.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
What do you lot use to rest your landing net on?

I don't use keepnets or a pole. I'm wondering what attachment(s) to buy to rest my net on so its close to hand.

I'm thinking of having rod rests on the right hand side with Spare rod holder underneath. Brolly attachment on the left back and side tray to the left. It is a big(ish) side tray with a hood.

Nowhere to put anything to hold my net? 🤔
I quite often rest it over my side tray and in or on my landing net ,depends how windy it is .

MrBen

Site Supporter
I'll save you the bother having bought those inserts previously. Don't waste your money on them. Absolutely pointless they are. 👍🏻
The better option is one of these with the butt rest screwed in rather than the mini feeder rest. You can position it on any side or leg you chose then.

zi0553t4636487977279022859.jpg
I beg to differ, have used the threaded inserts for a good few years and no issue. I’ve got the adjustable but test which is great for feeder fishing, to help get the reel so it falls to hand nicely.

JLK

What do you use them for?
I bought the leg inserts to put a gripper rest in for a landing net handle support.
It was awkward to use as it was too high up and in the way 99% of the time. It was also time consuming screwing it in and out all the time.
I thought about it and bought the butt rest to do the same thing but replaced the feeder rest with a gripper rest.
Much more versatile now as I can put it on any leg if need be.
If it works for you though then great stuff 👍🏻😀

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use a pair of seatbox pole rests and just have my side tray a couple of inches lower. Something similar to this:

5800C5B8-2058-4ED7-8F9F-718ACBB873C7.jpeg
38F122CA-1AE7-44EB-883B-7CDAD58D5F60.jpeg