Landing Carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piker

Hi
on sunday im going down to claylands in order to redeem myself and catch my first carp over a pound. I went 5 months ago and was having no trouble with bites ... buti couldn`t hook the carp sometimes and other times while bringing one in the hook came out.
do you have any tips on striking , playing and landing carp while floatfishing with a rod?

Thanx you lot you help me loads

:)::--Piker--:::)

TINY

Tiny
Did the hook come out or pull out?If it pulled out then take a bit more time and a little less pressure.
If it came out,what size hook are you using,because it may not be connecting properley,or maybe the hook is the wrong size for the bait you may be using.

Andy.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I don't know whether the venue you were fishing has a lot of carp but at this time of year you do tend to foul-hook a fair few fish (well I do anyway)
It may be that these are the ones you're pulling out of.
Usually they'll stay on until you start putting a bit of pressure on and then the hook hold gives way. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about it.

Tight Lines

Simon

iobrien2002

Paddy
stike straight away and pull up hard on the rod. keep the rod in the air for about 5 secs then reel in a little bit. don't just keep reeling in stop every 10 seconds and hold the rod high in the air for 5 secs. keep doing this until u land it .

good luck m8

I.O'Brien

MALC

quote: stike straight away and pull up hard on the rod. keep the rod in the air for about 5 secs then reel in a little bit. don't just keep reeling in stop every 10 seconds and hold the rod high in the air for 5 secs. keep doing this until u land it

If you tried that round this way you'd lose more fish than you landed, try keeping the rod low to the water and you'll find 9 times out of 10 the Carp will fight less as you are guiding them along the water.[:)]

Raise the rod and the Carp tend to go balmy as your raising them to the surface and thats when they fight harder and so results in more hook pulls.[:)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

TINY

Tiny
I must admit that I tend to keep my rod fairly low,but everyone has a style that works for them.Try and find the style that works for you.
Failing that, take Jinx with you,and you won`t have that problem any more.

Andy.

iobrien2002

Paddy
keeping the rod in the air is one of the best ways. i have never ever lost a carp that way

I.O'Brien

crusty

Personally, mainly because of the type of fishing I do, I keep my rod high and use it as a shock absorber. I've also found this almost always causes the fish to dive deep, which suits me causing least disturbance on the surface.
just thought, I never use the drag, prefaring to back wind, maybe that has something to do with it as well.

crusty

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
easiest way of landing a big carp......shoot it with a bow [;)]
Either that or let it tire itself out BUT remember that the longer the fight the more dangerous it is for the fish.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Status
Not open for further replies.