Lancaster canal, Garstang area

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hi Guys, just looking for some advice on fishing the Lancaster canal, around the Garstang area, myself and a my mate Peter are having a change of venue for our first fishing jolly of 2021, sometime in early June, thats if Covid is safely out of the way, and we have both had our second jabs.
I have never fished the Lancaster canal and any info given would be great, especially access points, and where to target, and places to steer clear of. We will be staying 4 nights, so 5 days to fish.
Also any local tackle stores, and pubs that sell good beer and meals.

Irishhybrids

Pike anglers club run the Lanky , had a few good sessions near the basin on A6 in the past , they run a summer league on there , not easy fishing but plenty fish to be had , usual canal tactics lines at the bottom of far shelf , lots of boat traffic though ,
get in touch with Alan Barnes Aka Cadence fame , or Mike Wilson who runs the Summer league.

Last edited:

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Pike anglers club run the Lanky , had a few good sessions near the basin on A6 in the past , they run a summer league on there , not easy fishing but plenty fish to be had , usual canal tactics lines at the bottom of far shelf , lots of boat traffic though ,
get in touch with Alan Barnes Aka Cadence fame , or Mike Wilson who runs the Summer league.
Cheers mate, had thought about trying to contact Alan Barnes, will have to try and find his details.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
The basins closer to Preston used to be the go to spots for better fishing, Salwick basin springs to mind, this was some years ago mind. Cadence did a video fishing the Lanky near Garstang last year.

dave19k43

I don't think there are any tackle shops in Garstang but a 15 minutes drive away there's Noah's Ark, in Poulton, just off the main Garstang to Blackpool road...tel - 01253 885684. You can buy day or annual Pike Anglers Club licenses for fishing the Lancaster Canal at the Post Office in Garstang. If the canal fails to please, I suggest a day fishing Hudsons Farm's donut lake, at St Michael's which is on the same Garstang to Blackpool road...tel - 01995 679654

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I don't think there are any tackle shops in Garstang but a 15 minutes drive away there's Noah's Ark, in Poulton, just off the main Garstang to Blackpool road...tel - 01253 885684. You can buy day or annual Pike Anglers Club licenses for fishing the Lancaster Canal at the Post Office in Garstang. If the canal fails to please, I suggest a day fishing Hudsons Farm's donut lake, at St Michael's which is on the same Garstang to Blackpool road...tel - 01995 679654
Thanks mate, good info there for us 👍 :giggle:

fredradac

Site Supporter
Afraid I don't know the name of the shop but there is (or at least was) a newsagents in the main street of Garstang which sells a small selection of tackle and baits. If you can get in touch thet may be able to help.

dave19k43

OOPS...sorry for my mistake...Garstang's Post Office only sells rod licences, Market News (which like the Post Office is also on Garstang's High Street) is the place to buy a Pike Angling Club license to fish the Lancashire canal. Market News also has a small tackle section at the back of the shop.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Owd Nells by the canalside in Billsborrow is cheap and cheerful with decent food and a selection of Real Ales.
Spot on. Steak pudding and chips are bang on.
And as said you’ve got to try the basin at salwick, monster bream in there years ago. Surely still there. Last time I passed it had carp lads on.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hi guys just a quick update, had a few days fishing the canal, and fished the canal at Dimples lane.
The thursday and friday were the best days, whilst Sat and Sun were really tough with nothing of note being caught.
Stayed in the local Premier inn, which turned out to be just accross the road from Awd Nells tavern, which was used for meals and drinks most evenings.
Best bag was on the friday but only just over 13lb after a near 12lb bag the day before.
Will def be returning and will do some more exploring next time. IMG-20210604-WA0012.jpg IMG-20210603-WA0015.jpg IMG-20210604-WA0017.jpg 20210603_181617.jpg 20210606_164536.jpg