Lake gormire

Colrod

Hi all
Does anyone know or have any info on fishing rights to Gormire lake nr thirsk please any info greatly appreciated

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Last I heard it was privately owned and the owners very protective of it. It has been that way for many years. I've not talked to anyone that has fished it since the eighties.

Colrod

Last I heard it was privately owned and the owners very protective of it. It has been that way for many years. I've not talked to anyone that has fished it since the eighties.
Ok cheers will do some more digging see what I can find

Simon R

Site Supporter
I was in the local tackle shop a couple of weeks and some guys were stocking up on deadbaits.
I asked them where they were heading and they said Gormire - and that they'd fished it a few times recently and had some decent sport with pike.

They didn't ask anyone, just turned up and started fishing.
As far as I was aware the lake was private, as stated by Sam above, and the fishing rights held by a small syndicate.

Perhaps it isn't bailiffed quite as conscientiously as it used to be - I'd probably have a little walk around first - check out the signage and see if there's any obvious bankside disturbance indicating the presence of other anglers.

Simon

Colrod

Hi simon
Yeah a recce is deffo on the cards like .I spoke to the environment agency this morning and they have told me that it's not registered as a fishery or has any relevance to being a fishery and that the lake could be owned by a local farmer to who's land it's on however that's not to say they havnt privately sold it to another ??? I dont want to pee anyone off by just turning up and fishing without correct permission

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As I understand it, Gormire was indeed bought from the landowner. Supposedly, that was lock stock and barrel, including access rights. Rumour had it that it was bought by two Estate Agents/Accountants/Lawyers from the York area. They were meant to be very secretive and the odd person I knew of that asked a bit persistently was persuaded that it was in their best interests to desist. I wouldn't even think about fishing up there without permission, I'd quite like to keep my car! Perhaps it's the case that it's been sold on again? Maybe the rumoured owners have got a bit too old and/or passed away? It's over thirty years since I fished it. At that time it was under different ownership. Royal Mail employees fished the odd company match on it. I was a young teen that just happened to know a postie who invited me along to one. I'd love to fish it again. However, it's a bit too far from me to be messing about trying to find information that it seems someone doesn't want people to know.

Whether much of that is remotely accurate is anyone's guess. I wonder if there has been plenty of deliberate misinformation put out to keep folks off balance. One thing that does seem clear is that somebody wants to dissuade people from going up there.

Colrod

Thank you it certainly sounds that way ..why anyone would want to stop people is beyond me and a bit selfish really but if that is the case then theres not much I can do .like it or lump it .however I will carry on and try my best

fadgewacker

I've always wanted to fish it... but never found a legitimate way. The York estate agents story is the one I've heard more than any other along the way.

The land itself is a public right of way, as it forms part of a walk from the cliff top and a loop round... I often wonder if these rich estate agents had grand plans for making the whole thing private but were never allowed.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I often wonder if these rich estate agents had grand plans for making the whole thing private but were never allowed.

The tale I heard was that they were anglers themselves and simply wanted the fishing for their own.

Colrod

This is my problem of finding out who actually owns it just to ask the question. I know that it is used as an open water swimming lake so I'm now thinking of contacting someone from that end to see if they just use it or have permission??

fadgewacker

This is my problem of finding out who actually owns it just to ask the question. I know that it is used as an open water swimming lake so I'm now thinking of contacting someone from that end to see if they just use it or have permission??
Yeah, I had noticed that, but it seems, bar much closer inspection, that people just rock up and pile in!

I wonder if the people at the visitors centre at the top of the bank would have any good information about the lake ownership...

Colrod

I've tried to ring them but are only open on a weekend so I think for now I'm a bit stumped .however onwards n upwards there are other avenues to try al let you all know how I get on in the meanwhile .thanks all of you for you're help .

Colrod

So I've done some digging about and managed to contact a young lady who's parents used to farm there some years ago .
She tells me that the lake is owned by some one who I dont think it would be appropriate to name on here . She states people have always fished it but unsure whether it is a syndicate or just risking it ??? She also tells me that there are some huge pike in there . Will keep u updated