Lake / fishery management, water quality - Books

Maidstone1922

Hello all,
I'm looking for books which cover fishery management, water quality, effects on fish health / behaviour.
Keen on an angling/fishery mgt perspective, but will settle for more general wildlife/ecosystem around lakes. Other examples of questions I have: common problems, interventions, estimated fish capacity of a lake without feeding...hopefully this makes sense.

I have read some books on ponds, and John Wilson's section on building his lake in "Fifty years a fisherman" was handy. But looking for something more scientific / detailed.
For example, I've found the Sparsholt college guide to fishery management, and "Fisheries managment" by Ian Wellby et al, but they're apparently hundreds of quids!

I only really know basics of low oxygen levels, algal blooms, eutrophication, so looking for the next level up. I've listened to some Andrew Ellis videos/podcasts which were useful. Keen on some books though.

Grateful for any recommendations or pointers in the right direction,
much obliged!

P.S. I have searched the forum, some good fishing books threads but not on this topic that I could find. Google Scholar has some interesting articles it seems but a decent book will probably save me 20 articles on there!

Maidstone1922

Cheers, annoyed I missed those. Indeed, but that could be all I need to be fair, the fundamentals will probably still be relevant

Somersetlad

There were some articles many years ago, in Coarse Angler magazine, I suspect 1985-1990 in the Colin Dyson era,, unfortunatley my copies went for recycling a couple of years ago, they were about restoring a silted up fishery.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Looking through the college library, Freshwater Fisheries Management Robin Templeton ISBN 0-85238-209-X on Amazon for about £32. Different to the one above.

Fish diseases and Disorders, which will set you back about £140

I was going to suggest the Institute of Fisheries Management, as already mentioned.

also don't forget the Environment Agency will give advice as will Angling Trust.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Well I hope Dave pays for his course I would suggest he undertakes if planning on running a fishery.

Total

Site Supporter
This 'Dave qualified with flying colours at Sparsholt on the Fisheries and Fish farm management course :p

But, 'With flying colours' in the fishing tackle "testing to destruction" department seminar. :p:giggle:

Maidstone1922

Thanks for all the responses. Yeh don’t worry I don’t have responsibility for any fisheries, not until I win the lottery.

Just for interest at this stage, and with time might look at getting more involved. At work parties I’m in chocolate teapot territory at the moment. Just want to understand the venues I fish better really.

Never went to Sparsholt so reading what I can!

Maidstone1922

Couple of book reviews. I have acquired and read the books by A. Behrendt (1977) and the Severn-Trent Water Authority (1984) above.
Both really good, pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so thanks for the input.
Behrendt was a German fish farmer who set up a successful fishery in England. A very knowledgeable read based on his experience. Enjoyable and a sense of humour, with good detail on different species and how they interact with each other.
The other one is a bit more technical and not as easy to read, but still full of useful stuff. Lots of figures and photos which helps.

In conclusion, Behrendt basically says take fish out, rather than stock them for a better angling water!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
This 'Dave qualified with flying colours at Sparsholt on the Fisheries and Fish farm management course :p
Didn't you pass 'basic ladder skills' with FLYING colours mate?:eek:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
For advice write to Mark Walsingham (owner of Ashmead in Somerset) he's the chap who undertook the revival of Redmire recently...