Lack of Unhooking mat's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOUGHNANE

Hi,
im new to the site and i just noticed in alot of your photos in the "where u fished today" topic's there is a lack of unhooking mat use.
I fish exclusively for carp and thought alot of these venue's have complusery unhooking mat rule?
*scott*

MALC

Hi and welcome Loughnane,

A lot of the syndicate water's have a compulsory mat rule.

Personally i use a mat if it's a rule but as a match angler 99% of the time any fish i catch go straight from landing net to Keepnet.
With the fish being unhooked between my legs whilst sat on my box.

Unlike Specimen anglers who seem to land a fish in one place then move somewhere else to lay it on the ground (mat) to unhook the fish.

I've done it like that with Carp to 18lb and near double Barbel and neither have touched the ground.

But i must admit i now realise that recently whilst taking photo's i have been laying fish directly on the ground and i thank you for bringing this up and will now use a mat for this purpose.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam

Anthough this Pike is on a mat, it is not mine. I did not own one when I went to Castle Howard but willget one for this season, although most of my fish are that small I can hold them in my hand to unhook them. LOL ....Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

(Just reducing the photo size Haydn - Dave)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome on board Scott [:)]

Personally I use an unhooking mat when I can't hold the fish to unhook it or else I slip the hook whilst it is in the landing net and put it back into the water from there which is often quicker than using a mat.
A lot of fisheries do insist on the use of mats for unhooking instead of laying the fish on the ground but don't specify that all fish have to be placed on mats regardless.

One point that does need making though is that if a mat is to be used - wet it, as a dry mat can cause alot of harm and a lot of people aren't told that [:)]

Dave

angler-mark

Hi Scott and welcome to the gang [:)].
I carry a mat with me all the time just in case, but as others have said, unless it's a bigger fish then I tend to unhook them in the landing net and into the keepnet.

Tight Lines

Mark

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Scott,
First of all mate Welcome to Maggotdrowning [:D]

I'm like Malc in that most of my fishing is match orientated,and they go from landing net to keepnet without touching the floor.
In a pleasure fishing situation most are unhooked in the net and released straight away although i do take a mat with me,just incase an outsize specimen comes along.(very rare in my case [:D])

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Beebs

quote: Although this Pike is on a mat, it is not mine.

Hi Hayden, but if you look at the fish's head, it's body may be on the mat, but it's right eye is on the ground.

darryl

welcome scott :when ever i go up and down the rivers i always carry an unhooking mat as it doubles as something to sit on with out carrying a chair,but even some of the well known anglers have photo`s of fish not on matt`s

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
I dont own an unhooking mat definately a need. Only other problem i dont fish for anything that would need an unhooking mat nearly always fishing for roach and Dace on the float [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

Lid

Mine's just arrived. They didn't have the size I ordered, so instead sent one that's 4' by 2' 2".

Now all I gotta do is catch something big enough to put on it!!! [:D][:D][:D]

Not bad for 8 and it doubles up as a family picnic seat too!!! [8D]

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.