Korum x25 accessory chair.

Dodgematty

Hello. This is my first ever thread on the site hope it’s ok to show. Back in 2018 I was aged 67 and still working a little, decided to treat myself to an accessory chair with a few accessories ie side table,rod support, brolly bracket, so that I had everything to hand and would last me into retirement,I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that the korum x25 chair would be ideal because it had a barrow conversion kit that turns the chair into a barrow easily and conveniently, great for trips to the river bank for me. Used this chair most times I fished and used the barrow kit when it was needed which wasn’t regular. in November this year used the chair and barrow kit to get to a peg on the river nene in Cambridgeshire on the return trip back to the car park the handles of the barrow kit sudden gave way spilling my kit on the floor on inspection of the chair found that the brackets on the back cross member had ripped the aluminium away forcing the handle to bend upwards, a complete failure and rendered the chair unusable. The chair was not overloaded in any way and the terrain wasn’t bad. Have emailed Korum and eventually got a reply that basically said they consider a product to be past it’s best after three and half years and they wasn’t responsible for its failiure. I have always been a Korum fan and have all sorts of there gear but this has really bothered me. Any one else had any problems with the x25 chair and barrow kit? . Was really happy with it till this happene, and have now got to either source a repair if possible being aluminium or buy a new chair and some form of transport to the pegs. Sorry for the long report but thought i‘d give the full story, am going to try and download some photos to show the damage. Thanks.

Attachments

• 8B48259B-5B96-45E9-B6AC-FEA89E00F6C9.jpeg
    8B48259B-5B96-45E9-B6AC-FEA89E00F6C9.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 91A613B4-AAEF-4430-ABC6-DF2E74AD3B74.jpeg
    91A613B4-AAEF-4430-ABC6-DF2E74AD3B74.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 19A1439E-E21D-4807-A110-9DDED17B7A6D.jpeg
    19A1439E-E21D-4807-A110-9DDED17B7A6D.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 57

Fartacus

Site Supporter
TBH it looks as though it has been hit with a hammer or a 40 stone guy has sat on it
defiantly rough treatment there!!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
More like the weld has failed... to be honest after 3 years I wouldn't hold out much hope of a refund or repair... its just one of those things I'm afraid... plenty of other chairs out there though

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unfortunately, I'd say that if it was a fault with the weld, or the aluminium around the weld failing due to excessive heat whilst welding, the break would have shown a lot sooner than it has.
It's most likely metal fatigue that has been building up for a while, finally tearing the metal, and a bump or rough ride that's caused it to rip the bracket like it has.

Dodgematty

hello. Thanks for the replies. I do agree with the comments about the fatigue of the aluminium. I’ve been in engineering maintenance all my life and know that to weld aluminium a lot of heat must be applied for a successful weld. It was never my intention to expect a replacement but did ask Korum in my initial email ( which took 3 weeks for them to reply ) if any spares were available or at least a bit of discount on a new chair , but Korum went straight onto the defensive and really tried to make out I had treated the chair badly and it was in a well worn state, in my opinion it is still in pretty good condition and looked after how can they judge from those few photos ? This is not really a moan but more of a heads up because although I haven’t seen Korum new accessory chair in the flesh but by the look of there sales photos the design is still the same and costs considerably more money than I paid for mine. Anyway because of my engineering background have still got a few contacts in the trade and after the rejection by Korum have got somebody that’s reckons it can be repaired and strengthened and it is being repaired as I write this. Thanks again for the constructive comments. Will post the photos of the repair if it’s successfu.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Glad to hear it can be fixed, fingers crossed.

You’re not the only one to complain about Korum’s customer service, I’ve heard from some others they can be very…defensive. Mark Erdwin also had a run in with them about a broken landing net.

Dodgematty

Korum x25 accessory chair update. Well as stated in my last post I’ve had my broken chair repaired and am pleased with the result. I have used it a few times now without any more problems although not fully confident in the other bits of the chair failing. I have hopefully downloaded photos of the repair and how it looks with the barrow kit fitted in case anybody is wondering what it’s all about. Still a bit miffed with Korums negative response, would I still buy Korum ? Definitely yes but would have to do a bit more research probably, still own lots of Korum stuff and particularly like there clothing range. Room for improvement on the customer care side of the company might get chance to have a chat with there product manager at one of next years big shows covid allowing. Keep fishing and a tight line new year. C0C7C550-EDED-485A-98A4-63AA280334F0.jpeg 65D19172-DFB2-4343-A6FD-BDE4E27E4914.jpeg C0C7C550-EDED-485A-98A4-63AA280334F0.jpeg FCE65B47-3830-41D8-A676-4E26450D7273.jpeg FCE65B47-3830-41D8-A676-4E26450D7273.jpeg

Attachments

• 604F1AF5-54AD-4F0F-AC97-7812B7779CA5.jpeg
    604F1AF5-54AD-4F0F-AC97-7812B7779CA5.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 31

Reuben

Site Supporter
Looks like an excellent repair job & hopefully you’ll get years more service from the chair. I like Korum stuff too, particularly the luggage. I have the original Accessory Chair & it’s by far the best chair I’ve owned. Never had anything fail on me so far…..

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Looks like an excellent repair job & hopefully you’ll get years more service from the chair. I like Korum stuff too, particularly the luggage. I have the original Accessory Chair & it’s by far the best chair I’ve owned. Never had anything fail on me so far…..
Same here... they make good usable kit and good value too... got a few bits of luggage and two of their chairs, can't fault any of it

richie77

Hi this might be of interest to you, Somebody else with the same problem, Check out this if you're interested. ( PRESTON INCEPTION FEEDER CHAIR ) by jad on MAR 28 2022 , FORUMS - TACKLE AND BAITS - TACKLE TALK. It's a pity these aren't linked.

jad

Thanks for pointing this thread out Richie77. One of my breaks was actually across the weld the other was same as the Korum chair.
The repair here is exactly what I would of expected the design initially to have. a small reinforcement plate at a stress point adding no weight but making the chair last a lot longer.
I have the Inception part on back order £40+ ( see if I am still on back order next year ) which is fine as I now own the Absolute 36 chair,