Korum speci avons and speci stick floats...

TiggerXFM

I've seen a couple of videos about these korum floats on youtube recently and there seems to be a bit of fuss about them.
I even noticed someone on the MD forum say he was going to use one today.
So I decided to go give one a try myself this afternoon to see just how good they are.
Now these floats are recommended for use in fast turbulent and choppy water and are supoosed to be highly visible and bouyant 🤔.
I used a 5grm avon in quite fast water with a bit of a chop on it. The float appeared low in the water even with only a 3.5grm olivette and a no1 dropper shot. The bait was only bunches of maggots or corn so not big heavy baits which is another thing the floats are supposed to be good for. If I had put a cube of meat on or a large pellet the float would have sunk!
Anyhow, because of the short fat chimney style tip the korum float kept vanishing behind chop, or dipping under the surface in turbulance and going out of sight giving false bites....not good at all.
Why one earth korum made a short thick tip beats me as it was not easy to see at all, deffo not easy to see at range either. Maybe if they had made the floats with a longer sight tip they would have been worth a look 🙄.
If your thinking of buying some of these floats, i'd consider a long sighted avon bolo float instead !

IMG-1011.jpg

TiggerXFM

Must say they do look an odd design
The speci stick float is even odder than the avon and imo bears no resemblence to a stickfloat whatsoever, why they have called it a stickfloat is beyond me.
It is a larger float than the equivalent korum speci avon float and has such a fat sight tip I would imagine finding a rubber to go round it would be nigh on impossible. I may be wrong but I am guessing that it's because of the potential problem finding a suitable rubber for such a fat tip that they have made a hole down through the body of the float, so making it an inline float.

rockland

The speci stick float is even odder than the avon and imo bears no resemblence to a stickfloat whatsoever, why they have called it a stickfloat is beyond me.
It is a larger float than the equivalent korum speci avon float and has such a fat sight tip I would imagine finding a rubber to go round it would be nigh on impossible. I may be wrong but I am guessing that it's because of the potential problem finding a suitable rubber for such a fat tip that they have made a hole down through the body of the float, so making it an inline float.
Would not be to difficult to lengthen the tip, the top could be cut flat and a length of similar sized balca dowel could be glued on top with a thin sliver of a matchstick as a joining spigot between the two . A quick sand of the whole tip a spot if white emulsion undercoat and some flouro paint job done the float ready for the boils agree trotting floats are often better with longerer tips. As for thick tip rubbers the thin balloons which are shaped twisted and knotted in the pound job are ideal for thick tips don't be put off by the thin wall it won't break on a zorro like strike

TiggerXFM

Would not be to difficult to lengthen the tip, the top could be cut flat and a length of similar sized balca dowel could be glued on top with a thin sliver of a matchstick as a joining spigot between the two . A quick sand of the whole tip a spot if white emulsion undercoat and some flouro paint job done the float ready for the boils agree trotting floats are often better with longerer tips. As for thick tip rubbers the thin balloons which are shaped twisted and knotted in the pound job are ideal for thick tips don't be put off by the thin wall it won't break on a zorro like strike
I think your right rockland, it's just being bothered to faff about doing it, especially when you can buy floats already fit for purpose.

I might give your idea a go though!