Korum Glide 12-14ft Power Float Rod

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
Hi all,

There isnt much information out there on this rod review wise so i thought i would post in here sessions i have used it on. Being sponsored by korum i am not going to write a review as its a lose lose situation rather let the sessions i used it on speak for themselves and give anyone interested in buying this rod some live footage of it in action in two very different scenarios

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Danny, I can only speak for myself but in all your years on the forum I've never had cause to doubt your integrity. I know that prior to your sponsorship you were using Acolytes and I for one would be interested on your thoughts on how these compare with the Glide and if you feel that you don't want to compare them, then you impressions of the Korum rod alone would be interesting.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That would be a difficult comparison to be fair given the big difference in price and power. Would be like comparing chalk and cheese.

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
i have been asked a few times re acolyte and this glide rod. In reality it is impossible to compare the two, one is a 180 quid rod and ones a 70 quid rod. Having caught many nets of dace and chub on the acolyte and loved every minute, i also was lucky or stupid enough this summer to put 8lb line on through my acolyte and catch a 9lb barbel on it. I have to say the fish took an age to come in and the rod made noises you never want to hear from a rod of 180 quid, i cant wait to get out this summer for barbel on the glide and compare at this upper end.

The huge thing you get with acolyte is the lightness of blank, a lightness i dont think will ever be matched or beaten in a float rod, the rod is made for trotting. During owning the acolyte i had a genuine gap in my rods,i had barbel rods at 1.75lb with avon tops and then i had the acolyte which i felt was ok to the point of fishing for barbel, in the glide i feel i have found that middle ground in between with the added bonus of it having finesse for dace and roach,it willbe good to post another video come summer and see how i do for barbel on it, but for 70 quid in the glide you are getting a very versatile rod for dace and chub with added bonus you can fish it at 12ft on smaller rivers and as you will see in upcoming video you lose no power

i hope that made sense

Sam Vimes

The huge thing you get with acolyte is the lightness of blank, a lightness i dont think will ever be matched or beaten in a float rod

I suspect it's going to be unlikely now, but see if you can lay hands on the Browning Sphere float rods, they've already done it.
The following are all 13' hollow tipped rods:-
Browning Sphere Match --------------------------- 144g
Drennan Acolyte Ultra ----------------------------- 146g
Drennan Acolyte Plus ------------------------------ 150g
Then the longer rods and odd lengths which make direct comparison a bit more awkward.
13'6" Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River - 162g
15' Drennan Acolyte Ultra ---------------- 168g
15' Drennan Acolyte Plus ----------------- 169g
15'6" Browning Sphere Splice Tip River - 184g

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
I only had a quick look as on way to work, but you are again paying g another premium for that rod which a quick look was around 240 quid, at them weights it's got to have hit its pijicle before you severely trade off something

Again I might bee looking at wrong rod as in rush.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Perhaps any comparisons twixt the Glide and Acolyte are best done by PM to protect Danny's sponsorship resposibilities, as asking for a comparison on a public forum could compromise it... and as said there is a massive price difference twixt the two... Danny has worked bloody hard to get where he is now and I don't think that we should we should put that position at risk...

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
Cheers arry, as above mate it's impossible to compare the two in reality, appreciate kind words mate, the videos hopefully give people already looking at the glide a look at it before they buy.

Sam Vimes

I only had a quick look as on way to work, but you are again paying g another premium for that rod which a quick look was around 240 quid, at them weights it's got to have hit its pijicle before you severely trade off something

Again I might bee looking at wrong rod as in rush.

Yes, the Sphere is in a higher price bracket again, no doubt about it. However, you made a statement without any price caveats, I'm pointing out that your original statement wasn't actually true, nothing more.

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
for those wanting info on the acolyte theres reams and reams of posts on here on that Rod and comparisons with that rod and its direct competitors so probably best to check out the search bar on the forum, I will happily answer any glide questions via PM for those wanting more info.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Sam. Had a look at the Browning match, oh I hate that handle with a passion. I expect it's like Marmite, but a rod has to look nice for me, as well as having all the other too. However I'd guess it's comfy. Rich.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I find the browning handles horrible as well, look like the handle of some sort of dropshot rod crossed with a distance feeder rod. Call me old fashioned but I like handles to be cylindrical and uniform haha

Sam Vimes

Sam. Had a look at the Browning match, oh I hate that handle with a passion. I expect it's like Marmite, but a rod has to look nice for me, as well as having all the other too. However I'd guess it's comfy. Rich.

Yeah I find the browning handles horrible as well, look like the handle of some sort of dropshot rod crossed with a distance feeder rod. Call me old fashioned but I like handles to be cylindrical and uniform haha

I couldn't care less what they look like, though I'd have instinctively prefered a cork handle and a standard Fuji reel seat. Indeed, the reel seat and Duplon handle put me off for a fair while. However, as I often do, I eventually took the plunge regardless. I've had the Spheres for about two years now. I generally reserve judgement on a rod until I've used them for an extended period. It took no time for me to like the action of the rods. The handles and reel seats took a little longer to appreciate. If you can't see past a cork handle, you're never going to like them. The reels you use and the way you hold a rod/reel combination makes one hell of a difference to whether you might actually find the Spheres comfortable.

I primarily use a centrepin on the rivers. The way I prefer to hold a rod fitted with a pin works wonderfully with the Spheres.

I generally hold the stem of a fixed spool reel between first and second, or second and third fingers. With the Sphere reel seat, between first and second is comfortable, any other way is a bit uncomfortable.

Bearing in mind the way I hold a centrepin (and drop my thumb to control the spool rotation), the following pictures (Sphere and Daiwa Tournament reel seats) might also help give an idea of why I might have come to love the Sphere reel seats. In conjunction with a centrepin, the Tournament reels seat borders on useless for this user.

I appreciate that the reel seat and Duplon handle (especially with a high price thrown in) is very likely to put an awful lot of folks off the Spheres. However, if they ever got to actually use one, some may just change their mind. I know I swore blind that I'd never accept a full Duplon handle on a rod. However, the Spheres have even won me over on that score too. It cleans up wonderfully and retains a new look far better than cork. I've also come to appreciate the shaping of it. It's like a more radical Daiwa Armlock handle, and, though it's not an absolute necessity, I've preferred those to bog standard round handles for nearly thirty years.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a sphere and I must say nice rod though it is the jury is still out re the handle, only used it a handful of times each time with an old 506m and it just doesn't seem to sit right in my hand. Next time out I think I may try it with a centre pin

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Given that most of us float anglers are fairly traditionalist in what we like I’m fairly certain that browning would have sold more spheres if they had a standard cork handle. However good the rods are they must have known they’d alienate a lot of buyers with the handle choice which is an interesting business move.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I don't have exceptionally large hands, but I find slimmer handles less comfortable, I end up having to grip them tighter.Abu handles from the Suveran range were comfy.

trotter2

I had a go of a the 15.6 sphere weekend gone. I don't like the handle at all. Don't think I will be purchasing one. Sticking with me acolytes.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I have a Sphere Feeder rod and I quite like the way the handle sits in my hand. Although I will admit that it took a bit of getting used to!

Preshiaturelp

Will the 13', 3-piece, Korum Glide Power float rod cast a light waggler and 8/10mm pellet, 20 yards on 10lb line, please?
Put another way, are the line guides really wider (than other rods with the same recommended line strengths) to enable stronger line to be cast? In my experience it's 'drag' on the line guides that limits distance casting with light floats/end rigs on stronger lines.
I want to cast quietly to reeds to avoid spooking double figure carp and then hit and hold the bites.