Not open for further replies.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
In the sweeps put me down for mobo fault :p
to try
unplug the CPU power and normal power plugs and put back
unplug memory and reseat
make sure power lead plugged in fully ( lol )

crusty

I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago. I changed the PSU and everything worked for about 24 hours then went back to how it was before.
I had a guy take a look and he said the motherboard was knackered.

So I bought a new PC.

Ian

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well so far PSU for the win - new one fitted and booted up first time [:t]

Reading crusty's post above [:eek:] - I'll report back on this in 24hours lol

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Originally posted by Dave

Well so far PSU for the win - new one fitted and booted up first time [:t]

Reading crusty's post above [:eek:] - I'll report back on this in 24hours lol

As Arkwright would say b b b b b b b b b b b b buy a new one [:D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Running better than it has for a while [:T]

davylad

Site Supporter
While we're on about computer problems, my granddaughter ask me about bother on her laptop. She gets a black screen on boot u and it won't start, and although I think I could fix it, it might mean losing some work she needs for her studies. She has taken it into the shop, and they reckon there are lots of people with same problem. Personally I suspect it could from a MS update, rather than a virus. I just wondered if anyone else has the same trouble.

Col7777

@Dave, It sounds like you could have cured it mate, I bought a Gaming PC off Ebay a while ago and after a week it did as yours did, I ended up buying a new PSU and it has been great ever since.

@davylad, Can you boot it in to safe then work on it from there, and as mentioned in above posts are you getting any beeps as it boots up, the number of beeps if any are a clue to the problem?

davylad

Site Supporter
No I tried that Col, but it just reverted back to black screen. I eventually got a chance to turn it back in system restore but that too wouldn't work, on about five restore points. I could maybe have wiped it clean and started again, but she has some essay work on she didn't want to lose, so she took in to the local shop.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
55 hours now and stopped counting [:D]

I've got everything on it backed up to a cloud and a second back up to an external hard drive, plus snapshots of software licences, and other data, to be on the safe side.
So the worse case scenario is having to open my wallet for a replacement and the likely hood of that happening is ....... lol

Col7777

@Dave, If you do have to replace the motherboard, it isn't as hard as a lot think. I rebuilt a PC a while ago and I will admit I was a bit apprehensive about replacing the motherboard, but all the instructions are there as to where to put the cables etc, it didn't take that long plus you get a setup disk.
Also there are a few video clips on Youtube as well to show you. Any way Dave let us hope you don't need to go that route.

davylad

Site Supporter
Fitting it is the easy bit, choosing the right one for the rest of the components might be a problem if it's getting on a bit.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In all fairness this PC is a bit of mish mash of components which I've added and swapped over time [8D]

It started life as a tower and over time has had a new MB, Chip, Heatsink & Fan, Graphics card, additional DVD/CD writer, additional hard drive, USB2 card, the obligatory additional memory, and at some point it looks like I opened up the PSU as the seals were broken but I can't remember when and why.
It's running backed up to a cloud, plus an external drive and to me it's like an old pair of good shoes - worn in, comfortable, and still doing the job [:D]

A quick reckon up puts what's left of the original tower (the case) at circa 2006 [:I]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lol [:D]

I forgot to add it's had a new fan to the graphic's card at some point as well.
If memory serves me correctly the original fan bearings went and to replace he complete card was about 40 for a like for like spec.
Maplins - new fan of the same size, about 3 and a bit of fiddling to get it to fit [:p]

chrismo

It started life as a tower and over time has had a new MB, Chip, Heatsink & Fan, Graphics card, additional DVD/CD writer, additional hard drive, USB2 card, the obligatory additional memory, and at some point it looks like I opened up the PSU as the seals were broken but I can't remember when and why.

If you were using the original power supply it was probably well under powered after you'd added all those extra bits. I hope the one you put in has a higher wattage.

Anyway sounds like you've fixed it.

crusty

Originally posted by chrismo

If you were using the original power supply it was probably well under powered after you'd added all those extra bits. I hope the one you put in has a higher wattage.

Anyway sounds like you've fixed it.

With hindsight I think this might be where I went wrong.
I replaced my PSU with like for like, maybe I should have upped it because I fitted a new upgraded graphics card a few weeks before it went into total frustration mode.

Ian

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
A cheap 700 watt may not be as good as a good 400 watt
normaly I use enermax , corsair , seasonic or be quiet

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I put in a 500w, not sure about quality and I've thrown the box so don't know the make - it was black if that helps [:D]

PS ... still working [:t]

Status
Not open for further replies.