Knackered PC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's a first - [:H]

My main PC has died, well not exactly, it just refuses to do anything.

It keeled over last night and seemed to freeze with both the red and green power lights on the front being permanently on.

I forced a reboot and Windows won't boot up, the monitor shows 'no signal' the CPU and graphics card fans are both working, the LED on the motherboard lights up.
I can't access Safe Mode.

I've changed the BIOS battery, removed the graphics card and tried using the MB's on board graphics, changed the monitor, removed the memory and swapped it around, had one in then the other and then none.

I've disconnected everything externally, and also disconnected both SATA HD's

Even vac'd the thing out whilst going through the above.

The best I can get it is for the MB to receive power (LED on MB shows receiving power), the red and green lights at the front go to permanently on (normally the green one flashes as the pc does it's stuff), and that's it.

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated

jods

Does it beep?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's what I was thinking but didn't want to accept Geoff [:)]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Many times Paul [:p]

jods

https://askleo.com/my_computer_lights_up_and_turns_on_but_nothing_happens_why/

chrismo

Originally posted by Dave

Here's a first - [:H]

The best I can get it is for the MB to receive power (LED on MB shows receiving power), the red and green lights at the front go to permanently on (normally the green one flashes as the pc does it's stuff), and that's it.

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated

If you don't get any beeps or diagnostic info from the BIOS with the Hard Drive disconnected, I would suspect the PSU is faulty. Can you beg/borrow a power supply to test it out?

Chris

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes, I can do that tomorrow as I'm sure I've a spare at the office, either that or I can 'borrow' one from a PC there

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
In Memoriam
Hit the thing with a hammer

if it dont work then, you just sooooo know its ****ed

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm beginning to think it was on it's way out in general. I'm sat here with a 'spare' and it is so quiet it is unbelievable. A bit like a car you've had for ages that you don't hear the squeaks and rattles in as you've grown used to them [:D]

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Tell the insurance Max p;ssed on it [:0][:T]

lavo-1

I would try the Power Supply first, as you are not getting any audible indication from the Bios boot loading. If this doesnt cure it then it's then most likely a component failure on the Motherboard and that I'm afraid could be a pain if it's an older discontinued CPU and memory.

Last edited:

davylad

Site Supporter
A long shot but, try disconnecting the power supply then hold down the on button for about 45 seconds. It's worth a try.

Sportsman

I would agree, it does sound like a power supply issue.
Having said that, if you find yourself in the position of needing a replacement computer this might be of interest.
Obviously, with no idea of what sort of use you have in mind (work, gaming etc) if you need a reliable, solid, fast, quiet and very very fast machine at a very reasonable price then you might consider a refurbished workstation from this outfit
http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/refurbished-workstations/
I have a refurb Dell and I have to say that it is, without doubt, the best computer I have ever owned or used and that includes an assortment of Macs. I was so impressed with it I bought another 2 and now we all have one each. Mine runs 24 hours a day and never has the slightest hiccup.
I have nothing to do with this business, other than as an extremely happy customer. I could not imagine buying another computer anywhere else now.

tedstriker

its going to either : motherboard has died, cpu has died or power supply is on the way out

personally im going for cpu or motherboard as you have tried the onboard graphics and you didnt get an output

Last edited:

davylad

Site Supporter
I think you have covered the lot there ted.[8D][8D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are we having a sweepstake [:d]?

I've got another PSU so when I get back home I'll swap it over and see what happens

ReeceHearn

if you get power lights on it wont be the power supply, and if you cant get to the bios then it its most likely the motherboard.
Sometimes Ram can cause a similar issue but if you've tried various combinations with that then looks like the motherboard has gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.