Kitchen Extension RSJ question

pikey123

we have decided on kitchen extension which entails knocking support wall down an replacing with RSJ. We have never had any extension work before. so we have sorted a builder, approved inspector, who will check builders work.Side extension to kitchen measuring 3m x2.25m RSJ will be for the 3m length of wall.
We are now being told we need a Structural Engineer to calculate the steel(i,m assuming the RSJ ) and he is asking £495 + vat to tell us what RSJ we need, i might be niave but i thought the builder would have been able to do this.
Any thoughts greatly appreiciated

Pyffy

Site Supporter
we have decided on kitchen extension which entails knocking support wall down an replacing with RSJ. We have never had any extension work before. so we have sorted a builder, approved inspector, who will check builders work.Side extension to kitchen measuring 3m x2.25m RSJ will be for the 3m length of wall.
We are now being told we need a Structural Engineer to calculate the steel(i,m assuming the RSJ ) and he is asking £495 + vat to tell us what RSJ we need, i might be niave but i thought the builder would have been able to do this.
Any thoughts greatly appreiciated
We needed the services of structural engineer earlier in the year as we needed calculations for 2 rsj's for taking out a dividing wall and chimney breast in our Victorian house, so that the builder could quote for the work. I found a local structural engineer and he charged us £330 inc vat for the calculations and diagrams. Unfortunately unless your builder has a structural engineer's qualification you need one so as to keep the building's integrity secure. I would get a few more quotes from structural engineers if I was you. Should you be anywhere near to Northants I can thoroughly recommend the services of Steve Bacon from Rushden.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Common practice mate

the engineer will do the calcs, loading and the job will get passed by building control using those figures

make sure the engineer has indemnity insurance

DFL

Site Supporter
FYI, talking to a plumber yesterday who Tod me amongst other things, steel has doubled in price which obviously includes rsj's