Killing Pike

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Confirms what I thought really, cheers. Thread title reminds me of a new BBC spy thriller television program. :unsure:

Bacon

I am appalled that people think this is ok, the Facebook generation are as stupid as they come. There is a little lake local to my brothers around Bristol who requests that you kill any pike caught, the owner is a fool and was miffed when we said we had put back 6 pike up to around 5lb.

As has been previously mentioned, kill the larger pike and you just let the jacks run riot, you need the big girls to keep everything in check, nature does a marvelous job of controlling numbers of all species if left alone.

Those facebook idiots need a slap or two.

FadingLikeDecay

If the Fishery owners really didn't want it going back in there, could they not have kept it separated and contacted the Environment Agency to have someone relocate it? I don't even know if that's a done' thing' down in England, but surely it would have been better to let it survive elsewhere than kill it.

badgerale

I do get annoyed by people who don't think outside of their narrow objectives. Who are happy for a water to be a sterile monoculture as long as it provides them with big carp, or trout, or whatever.

Pike are part of a healthy natural ecosystem. Regardless of whether they effect the fishing positively or negatively, it would be nice if both fisheries and fishermen would appreciate that and celebrate their presence.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Agree with all of the above - Pike are part of a healthy ecosystem.
Things can get unbalanced - i remember the brum-fazeley canal having a section "electrofished" where the largest biomass overall by far was pike (mainly jacks) ... but killing larger pike is not the answer.
Over time - the same should be true for all predators - even Zander and Wels :oops:
And that's from a match angler who curses when he's pestered by the damned things!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
The killing of pike infuriates me and always has - they are a valuable part of a healthy ecosystem and the amount of feed available to them will automatically manage their numbers.

Like perch, which seem to be seen as a throwabout pest species to some anglers, they should be fished for responsibly and cared for carefully before returning to the water.

Appaling behaviour by the waters owners/management in advocating pike kills.

FadingLikeDecay

The killing of pike infuriates me and always has - they are a valuable part of a healthy ecosystem and the amount of feed available to them will automatically manage their numbers.

Like perch, which seem to be seen as a throwabout pest species to some anglers, they should be fished for responsibly and cared for carefully before returning to the water.

Appaling behaviour by the waters owners/management in advocating pike kills.
Fully agree. It's no coincidence that Autumn Glory & Midwinter Madness are my favourite episodes of A Passion For Angling as they showcase both my favourite species, I only wish the waters I fished would give me frequent encounters with them. I'm more likely to encounter trout and I view them more as a nuisance fish, but I still wouldn't kill those because of it and those who do that purposely should be duly punished.

Wrongfoot

What do people think about policies to kill jack's to encourage big pike and manage the ecosystem that way?

I fished waters where that was a rule years ago. Seemed a sound idea in principle, but I doubt there was enough rod pressure to meaningfully thin out the little ones.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
As has been said, the science says that the big pike should be returned.

Unfortunately even today there are plenty of ‘anglers’ who are anti pike (and some even anti perch). I’ve seen decent sized pike and big perch left to die on the banks of modern commercial trout fly waters !

Back in the day I worked in Scotland for a while and apart from fishing some of the big lochs, I got access to a big reservoir that was a trout fishery and held big pike. The trout anglers were reasonably friendly and gave me a few ideas on where to fish (it was several hundred acres). One day I was unhooking an 18lb fish as a trout angler was passing. I weighed it and then put it back. He went mental and him and his mates never spoke to me again !

A couple of trips prior I’d had a 4lb brownie on a half mackerel as that went back too…..

Interestingly that water became (in)famous for producing a string of huge pike a few years later - so the trouties didn’t kill them all thank goodness.
That wouldnt be the water near A***a that had an infestation of water lice in it would it?

Nicky Dodds

What do people think about policies to kill jack's to encourage big pike and manage the ecosystem that way?

I fished waters where that was a rule years ago. Seemed a sound idea in principle, but I doubt there was enough rod pressure to meaningfully thin out the little ones.
No. They have more right to be in the water than we have to fish for them.

badgerale

I'd be interested in how that works.

I fish a water that has a ton of jacks, but despite pike being in there forever, and plenty of roach to eat, they never seem to get beyond 5 or 6 pounds.

It's interesting what causes fish to get big some waters and stay small in others.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad has just told me he read on FaceBook they've stopped pumping water into Trimpley Res as there has been a diesel spill in the river at Bridgnorth!

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I don’t know about the lice; but it was near A…. !!
Yep that'll be G******n D** then, did some vey big fish over 30lb regularly to one of the local anglers who allegedly "guest fished" it for a long time and eventually became one of the waters baliffs

Local council stopped the fishing on there for quite some time because of the infestation problem, they were worried about lice getting transferred to other waters so stopped all fishing on there but some "guesting" still carried on

drw

Site Supporter
My dad has just told me he read on FaceBook they've stopped pumping water into Trimpley Res as there has been a diesel spill in the river at Bridgnorth!
That’s not good, please keep an eye on your local news and keep us informed Steve , thanks

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Yeah I noticed that reported on another forum, said it happened twice (Saturday & Monday), traced to an outlet down from the A458 bridge.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is the fish in question as reported on the Trimpley Angling Association FB page. :(

Trimpley Pike.jpg

Obviously caught by a trout angler looking at his kit.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Fish of a lifetime for a lot of folk, be a real shame if it has been knocked, there'll be problems to come for the fishery as a whole if they knock the bigger predators