Killer Toads !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Heard this on Keith Arthurs show on Saturday morning - I think it could be in AT tomorrow.

Wykeham Fishery near Scarborough (the place the Northern Fish-In should have been on last year) has been overrun by tens of thousands of toads.
At spawning time they'll grab hold of anything - including carp - a carp covered in dozens of toads can't swim - it sinks to the bottom and dies. This has happened to lots of fish - the dead fish have rotted - the oxygen content of the lake has plummeted and about 50% of the fish in the match lake have snuffed it.

It seems a little unlikely to me - has anybody heard of this before?

Simon

Don

It happens and to be honest apart from the oxygen content (which I am not qualified to comment on) I would say theres a good chance that the info is correct. Toads and frogs will latch on to anything when they are in the mood for mating. I lost a nice sturgeon to frogs a couple of years back and this year there were loads more frogs and toads than usual and they do try to grab the fish.
Down south they have found the dreaded "Cane Toads" of Australian origin breeding happily. Why should this worry you? Well these toads can suck a whole mouse into their gobs for starters and they love the taste of our native species of frogs and toads not to mention newts and just about anything they can get down their throats.

I have heard that some koi keepers actually kill any frogs or toads that get into their ponds, personaly I like to see toads,newts and frogs in my pond and killing them is not something I would even contemplate.

Thom

my local fishery has seen a massive amount of tadpoles this year, the deck was black with them! not good seen as the fact the trout cant handle the numbers!

breadflake

Site Supporter
The same lake was wiped out 3 or 4 years ago never heard any reasons given. a couple of us fished it and did well with small carp, then a few months later not a bite.

Don

Well Si its made the weeklies so I guess its true! Regarding these cane toads ( I mentioned)if they ever get a hold in this country we face a major ecological disaster as they will wipe out the native frogs and toads and thats just for starters (pardon the pun).

Don

Originally posted by Enigma

Ask the french to come over and have a massive BBQ....

LMAO have you seen the size of these cane toads? Chances are they will eat the French, ermm thats not a bad trade off is it? Come on your Frenchies bring it on[:D][:D]

Davejg

He does'nt have a lot of luck with that lake , lat time it was otters so they built a fence. I think I'd stock it with pike & cats that wquld slow em down a bit, just imagine toady trying to grab an 8lb jack round the face.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
This is true, i read a big article on it on another established fishing site a few weeks ago, bad news like.

poolsfodder

don,cane toads/q,how they got here/also if mem serves me,are not these toads the nasty poiseness ones.infact its an holluciagenic chemical they exude from there skin i think.

Cedric

A few years back I remember it was all the rage among dope-fiends to lick toads to get high. I wonder how they found that out in the first place.

luremad

Barbelus Maximus
put a pike in there that would get rid of any toad or frog that leaves the safety of the reeds.[:D][}:)]

mrhaze

as homer simpson says "i'm not not licking toads"...

toads are way down on the list of things i'd stick my tongue on!!

Don

Originally posted by poolsfodder

don,cane toads/q,how they got here/also if mem serves me,are not these toads the nasty poiseness ones.infact its an holluciagenic chemical they exude from there skin i think.

Its a long story but in Australia they were plagued by some insect or other so some bright spark suggested getting these"cane toads" imported to eat the insect and solve the problem. After the toads were released it turned out they didnt like the free insects and so they decided to munch just about anything else that got in their line of site!

Cane toads came here via petshops as do most of these alien species.

All toads exude a liquid when they feel threatened it is a noxious substance and the Yanks went through a phase of toad licking (I kid u not!)to get high. One as to be careful if they partake of this wonderful free drug because one or two toads are very dangerous, some Amazonian tribes actually tip their arrows with toad liquid as its so deadly and fast acting.

Cane toads fever gripped Australia and kids used to dress the toads in dolls clothes (yes they are that big) but they are a recognised pest in Aus now.

PS. My ponds got a lot of toads in it right now so if anyone wants to get high I am charging 3,000 per kilo of toads and they are finger lickin good! The last bits a feckin lie by the way and before you ask NO I have not been toad licking today[:D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.