KILL CARP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrC

Is it true that you have to kill the carp once you have netted them, and is it illegal to return them to the water in Australia?? I was horified to learn that Australia treat this species as a pest and have all kind of excuses for this and they are trying to get rid of the species. Did you know that they are trying to get scientist to mess with the gene's (cant spell) so that they can eventually turn all females eggs into Male ofspring , so eventually kill the species off. Im in shock.!
MAL

Beebs

Don't know about the netting issue, but Carp aren't native to Australia and are regarded the same as we regard signal crayfish. An unwelcome pest. It's each to their own at the end of the day. There are people in the UK that regard zander a pest and kill them when they catch them. Where's the difference?

I was surprised at the Aussies views on carp, but they are surviving pretty well at the expense of native species so something has to be done.

angler-mark

Believe it or not but you can get prosecuted if you return Carp in Australia! They consider them to be vermin.

Tight Lines

Mark

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Mark is right carp are a pest in Aus. They muddy up the water so preventing native species from spawning. A similar situation exists in the states to. Carp are hunted using a bow in some states. Like Beebs says we treat zander the same here so whats the difference. Its every one to their own

chill out go fishing

Trevski

There's good eatin' on a Carp too... Thats what the monks thought anyway. [;)]

joe1987

'Darwener'
Yeah in new zealand there are mass amounts of beautifully coloured kois that any angler would be drouling over but the government employ people to shoot them with cross bows and yes, if caught returning a fish you will be prosecuted. Crazy madness! And they think us pommees aren't right in the head! **Joey-mackeral**

brady

its not just carp, roach are classed as a noxious species in australia aswell!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can't remember his name but there used to be a fella on Paltalk who told us about his friend (or it could have been him) getting a $500 (aus dollars) fine for putting a carp back, apperantly in some pools you could walk across them without getting your feet wet due to the number of carp on the surface.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

mike s

Another rich source of protein being wasted................

Cumbria Angling Centre

Dervaig

Look on this site
http://www.fishbase.org/search.html
and under the sub-heading "Dangerous" both Roach UK & Common Carp UK are classed as potential pests.?????
Whats all this about.[:O][V]

Dervaig

Status
Not open for further replies.