Kids paying board, yes or no

chris1967

Site Supporter
Didn't make my eldest lad ,has since left home we still have the youngest who turns 19 next march we've never asked for anything from him either .
I like the idea of watching him enjoying life now while he's young ,if he was blowing his money on rubbish or booze every week i would probably have a different approach.
My wife puts £50 a month into a bank account for the grandkids has done for the past 4 year .

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I think it's incredibly rude for the child to get a job and assume they can keep living home completely free and not even have the decency to offer. The day I got a job, The first question I asked upon coming home was 'All inclusive, How much do I owe you per month for rent and other expenses?'. My mother gave me the 'Oh you don't need to' rubbish but I insisted. We're not wealthy by any means so me paying my way really really does help. I can totally understand why wealthier families let their kids get away with not paying a dime, Because it simply doesn't effect them much.

I think a lot of peoples decisions are dependent on financial situation of the parents. If they don't need it and don't want to accept it, That's fair. However, If they do need it I don't think theres any shame in your kids paying their way. I don't really see how your kids giving you £100-150 a month teaches them financial responsibility however. I know plenty of fellas who pay their parents rent yet squander the rest of their cash up the wall. Reckless people will be reckless and a £100 fee a month isn't going to change that.

I don't think you should be charging your children excess amounts of money for a place to sleep the day they turn 18 however. I see this quite often.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Only the one daughter. Never took a penny off her. It didn’t do her any arm as she is an area manageress for M&S now at 24. She gets twice the money her mum gets plus a company car every two years. Next year M&S have asked her to relocate .... another bunch of cash. I’ve been in the wrong job I have. 😩

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only the one daughter. Never took a penny off her. It didn’t do her any arm as she is an area manageress for M&S now at 24. She gets twice the money her mum gets plus a company car every two years. Next year M&S have asked her to relocate .... another bunch of cash. I’ve been in the wrong job I have. 😩

this is not a normal job

this is a M+S Job !

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
this is not a normal job

this is a M+S Job !
She will be getting her annual telling off in a few days as dad spends all day Boxing Day cleaning HER company car. I can bet you now they’ll be a bin liner of coffee cups, sandwich wrappers, chocolate bar wrappers etc etc inside her car. It won’t have been washed since last Boxing Day. The scruffy little bugger. 🙄

Total

Site Supporter
She will be getting her annual telling off in a few days as dad spends all day Boxing Day cleaning HER company car. I can bet you now they’ll be a bin liner of coffee cups, sandwich wrappers, chocolate bar wrappers etc etc inside her car. It won’t have been washed since last Boxing Day. The scruffy little bugger. 🙄

Buy your daughter an Xmas valeting voucher.....She will get the message.....;)(y)

ATTICUS FINCH

£5 out of the first wage packet I ever earnt went into mums hands the moment I got home with it

wasnt much to start with, £14.50 a week as a first year apprentice

it was a given, that as soon as I started full time, I paid my way, and it was the same with near everyone I knew

but then back in the day, we all knew that, nowadays we are far too soft on the kids,
Being of the same birth year as Mickle, I was doing exactly the same .
All my oppos were paying for their keep.it was the done thing .

Reuben

Site Supporter
Definitely. I always paid when I lived at home....even when I was on the dole for the first couple of weeks after leaving school. Our three were a mixed bag. Eldest lad & daughter were bone idle when they left school. Never worked & contributed nothing. Middle lad got a decent job and paid us every month.
Missus is still bailing out her daughter & she's 37 ffs. We foster her two kids. I'd happily shoot her if I knew I could get away with it.
Steady there, mate. Your last sentence could could infringe on the new board rules - remember Mick’s ‘WARNING’. It only takes someone to complain.........

Arch

Site Supporter
I payed. I was on £23.50 a week, but still payed board. Our Daughter was charged £10 a week when she started full time work. I'm not sure it was ever collected though. Missus said it was. :unsure:

One of the lads I work with has a son who also works at the same place we do, but in a different team. He doesn't charge his kids anything. But some months, his lad comes out with more than his Dad, what with call-outs and overtime. :confused:

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Our only daughter is 14, so a few years from leaving school. She has a plan in place to set up her own dance school (she's a National Champion at her level).

We've said we will support her until the time that she is financially stable, so I can't see that she'll be paying bed and board for a while. I know that she won't be p***ing her money up the wall though, she's a very determined individual so I can imagine every penny being invested in the business and her future.

She has a couple of savings plans that we set up when she was born that will give her a very nice set-up fund, and keep her business afloat until it is fully operational.

It scares me sometimes that she knows exactly what she's going to do, what she needs to do to make it happen, and effectively a business plan that she's devised herself based on successful individuals in the same field. When I was 14 I was playing football and chasing girls, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
When I got my first saturday job... my mum stopped my pocket money, but was still expected to do the chores to earn it... when I started full time she took half my weeks wages as keep... my mum was a bit of a mare on the quiet... loved her to bits, but as a person...??? Bloody hard work... as soon as I could I moved out.... moved into a house with my lass and managed just fine

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Buy your daughter an Xmas valeting voucher.....She will get the message.....;)(y)
I moan at her but, in reality she’s my world Mark. I am extremely proud of her. She’s 24 / 7 work oriented mate. After Christmas dinner she’ll no doubt whip her laptop out and be looking at predicted end of month figures. She’s married to her job. She is extremely well paid but, she earns every penny let me tell you. Always at 100 mph. Not like her dad who’s normally horizontal after Christmas dinner. 🤣🤣

Total

Site Supporter
I moan at her but, in reality she’s my world Mark. I am extremely proud of her. She’s 24 / 7 work oriented mate. After Christmas dinner she’ll no doubt whip her laptop out and be looking at predicted end of month figures. She’s married to her job. She is extremely well paid but, she earns every penny let me tell you. Always at 100 mph. Not like her dad who’s normally horizontal after Christmas dinner. 🤣🤣

I appreciate and respect everything said above Mick.:)....If you haven't got time to get said 'valeting voucher' perhaps mentioning bank holiday valeting rates/costs are double bubble! :love::p......As much as I love my dear wife, her car is her total responsibility....:whistle:

baboboy

Site Supporter
My first ever job I earned £35 a week apprentice wage. Out of that I gave my mum and dad £15. As my dad was disabled when i started working they lost their child benefit for me. It would of seemed rude not paying them anything. When I eventually earned more money I paid them more. The most they ever took was £25 a week as that's what the benefit amounted to.