Kids Children and fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

darloflyman

I run a few fishing clubs in and around Darlington and I am amazed at the number of Adults that instead of encouraging these youngsters when encountering them on the bank,they think they are there to spoil a good days fishing. If a few more anglers took a different approach like showing them how to catch a fish it would be much better than letting them get bored and throwing stones into a swim that you are trying to fish.
I would like to suggest that a fish in should take place on a regular basis where joe public including Youngsters can try there hand at all aspects of fishing.
A 2 hour licence is available for 1.00 and is refundable against a full licence.
Sport England and the National Body for angling I am sure would approve to show anybody how to catch a fish on rod and line to intruduce more anglers onto waters.
I would like to hear comments from anyone on this subject
Either by e-mail or posted on here

feather chucker Datafile3.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There is the National Fishing Week that takes place around the August period and several clubs use this as an opportunity to do just that.

As for showing kids how to fish instead of getting bored, I did that when we had last year's Welsh Fish-in and it didn't take the youngster long before he was catching then showing others himself [:)]

Dave

carpbob3

i agree ....... last year whilst on the Leeds/ bradford canal some youngesters set up near to me....... they were struggling so i offered help and set up their rod with some of my own bits hook lenght hooks and shot etc....... they caught shortly after ..... to show their appreication they nicked my Zippo lighter ........ however that has not put me off just more vigilant.......

if your not fishing your not living

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
hi ian
i think you must live in a large town or city to run a few angling clubsbecause most places ive been to out of the fens where i live there is only one or two clubs in the area & they cant normally talk sensibly between thereselves.
but to get back to your point of getting kids into fishing ive tried it in cities & large towns there is no way you can do it by charging anytype of fee,
there are a few ways to get them to try but it can be hard work
1- the easiest way get youth clubs to use it as part of there activivties
2- try to get schools involved
3- speak to any of the following
police, probation service,social services & council.
or the hardest way of allthe kids that are messing about on the bank,
dont just run them off keep a cheap 4-5m whip handy get them to use it & show themhow to catch a fw fish even gudgeon ect . if you can get them catching then yu have them hooked 80% chace of them sticking with it.
And ive tried allways

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

joe1987

'Darwener'
Well im a "kid" to all of you (15) and most people are really freindly and offer advise but once me and percher went to the waoh resevoir in bolton and got threatened by this old man. He said we couldnt buy day tickets on the bank, when there was a sign saying we could, had a go at me for not having my landing net screwed into the pole and threatened to take our tackle if we werent off the water in 5mins! I think i annoyed him more when he said "Theres 4ft long fish in 'ere n you'll never land 'em on that". I replied by sayin something like "And did you catch one of those today then?" Cheekey but he had no right to threaten us. Only the baliff can do that.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
Yeh, ruined what i'm sure woyuld have been a good days piking, if my dad had seen him he wuda killed him, fopund out l8er he was in no position to do what he did, ended up going to the jumbles with our pie baits and blanked[:(]

darloflyman

All the clubs that I run or help out with as in Firthmoor are based in Community Centers after school hours with a small charge 1.00 each, which pays for the hire of the hall or rooms.
I am trying to get a still water that will let us use it cheapily or with very little cost as funds are available but in limited supply at the moment.
A lot of the tackle that we use is mostly mine or that has been donated by people who have either visited My Website or that have seen my messages on forums like your very own Mookie who has been really generous.
I do all this on a voluntary bases ie I dont get paid or even get a petrol allowance. Starting age 8-16
I start them off with very basics set rod and reel up with either float or ledger swimfeeder ect. and for those that want to try other methods of fishing like fly fishing Roger Beck a professional instructor has offerd his time free for the kids and I am awaiting a letter from a fishery for that purpose. Just about all the kids involved at all the clubs 3 in total set up but more area's are asking me to start them too are enjoying making there own flies wether they will catch fish who knows lol.
Mookie has suggested a fishing match to raise funds for the kids clubs ?
(take a few of the kids along with you there enthusiasm is great).
For those who know Ian (mookie ) he has a heart of gold and will be getting invites for him for our new ponds at Firthmoor when they are ready to be fished.As on my website I am looking for more volunteers to help out always and any free or cheap tackle is always been looked for.
Our local council has said that they have a fund that is available and we have applied for it.
Also I am currently plugging for the Joint Angling Governing Bodies Certificate in coaching angling to be impemented into our local Technolgy College we hopefully have a chance cause Sport England is looking to put a course on in the North East of England.
As for the National Fishing Week that is every week for me lol.
So far 2 of the Comprehensive Schools in Darlington are intrested in fishing clubs.
The local Police force do already have a club set up with P.C. Mick Watson and tends to be for a way to steer young offenders away from crime.
(We follow very simple rules one of which is 1 strike and your out)

feather chucker

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
For the last couple of years i've been involved with helping out at a kid's match at Gold Valley.
This is organised by Gary Hamilton who is the captain of Fox Match Banstead.The lake is donated by John & Will Raison for the day and we supply the tackle and supervision.It's all about giving kids who haven't fished before a taste of angling.
At the end of the day all the youngsters get a goody bag of tackle thats donated by various elements of the trade.
But the real reward is the smile on a little lads face like this......

One thing that's always in my holdall is a bag with all the Freebies (line hooks rod rest heads etc.) that come on the front of the Mags & Weeklies,You may not use them but they can be a godsend for the lad with a "starter kit" more suitable for landing conger from a pier.[V]

These young kids are the future of our sport,so perhaps Tiny or Mike could enlighten us as tackle dealers,as to the mentality of some short sighted dealers,who still sell rubbish like this as starter kits.[:(!]
Surely it's possible in this day and age to put together a reasonable starter kit,even if it's only a whip and a couple of pretied rigs that would give youngsters a fighting chance of actually catching something!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The child that blanks soon loses interest.[:(]
The one that catches could be hooked on this wonderfull pastime of ours for life.[:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Chris Taylor

I cant catch roach
I am a junior as well 14 in fact and fish for Worksop juniors. I am always happy to lend a hand but most of all i end up getting thrown of my tackle by my father and he sets it all up again and shows the person how to do it right. I have numorous year books for all junior clubs around my area just to boost the junior sections income. There are loads of lads around that with a bit of help could excel gratly.

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Well Ian matey, what can l say ...l was cut up with the words there on your post,if theres anything you want ,you know you just have to ask...[:D] ....

Its you that deserves the credit these fishing clubs wouldnt survive without your help and determination to succeed with the local kids...

Cheers mate....Keep up the good work, but allow time for your family and the odd trip or 5 with me....lol lol...[:D][:D]

MOOKIE....

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anyone who has or does help kids get into fishing recieves respect from me, to many times i've seen kids take abuse from "anglers" on the bank.

Mookie you might be a total prat [;)] but you're a total prat with a heart of gold mate good on you & as i've said anyone else who gets kids into this god given sport of ours.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

mike s

There is however the other side of the coin:-
Parents who drop their kids off & expect other anglers to act as unpaid child minders to the little dears.
I have had a father ask me to make sure that his two lads "behave" themselves whilst he went to the pub for 3 hours & came back "happy".
Needless to say,with this sort of example, the two of them were disrupting everyone's fishing within 30 minutes.
If parents want their kids to go fishing then they should accompany them, unless they have arranged alternative supervision, or the youngsters are fishing with a club, or other organised event.

Cumbria Angling Centre

hull tyke

I really think us adult anglers must help the youngsters after all they are the future of fishing
whats everyone elses opinion
steve [:D][:D]

Apache

Not all kids are uncouth theiving, back stabbing b******s. Some of us (me being one at 15) do take time to help other kids with their fishing too. The carp lake I fish is not a large commercial (bivvy boy) water, and so a nice rod, 10lb line and small float will do. Some of the kids who fish there have already got all the optonics (etc) and think it strange they rarely catch anything...I wonder why.

Tight Lines
Apache

http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

I cant catch roach
The big problem is will they listern. For national fishing week leeds juniors have a match on a local lake and orphan children are tought how to fish. I have done it twice for the club and both times the child my father and myself have took has come in the top 5. The yearr before last i happened to draw him a flier (30lb+ peg) We plumbed up and everything and he got a bite a chuck all day but wouldn't stike at them. The fish he did hook pulled the pole out of hands. Nothing against him but he would not strike even when we told him to. He came 2nd with 9lb 4oz. We had a proper junior match after it on the same pegs only for an hour i wieghed 19lb 5oz of carp.
If some of them listened they would do better

TINY

Tiny
Good afternoon everyone,I would like to put my two penneth in here.
As Peter has stated,there are some dealers who will still sell rubbish to the younger anglers.I am only speaking for myself in this statement and no one else.
I for one,and I like to think I am one of the better dealers,have not and will not sell cheap and nasty s**t to any angler of any age.
I dont believe in making quick money out of the younger crowd just so they have kit.I will however open a fishing account for them and as they collect more money in there,I will recommend certain items that are of a good enough quality for the majority of experienced anglers.
If more dealers were to do this one small thing for the novice anglers,I believe that the fishing fraternity would be a much larger and successful place.
My idea for a starter kit would be;
4m whip with a selection of rigs,and the rest of terminal tackle for ease of fishing.
A starter box would be a Large Shakespear,(2nd hand)with side trays 20.00.
brolley new 15.00
hold all new 15.00
The list will go on and on, in total I do starter kits for around 75.00 all in ,and this tackle is worth approx 125.00.
I am unlike any other dealer,due to dealing in 2nd hand and brand new tackle,and having a lot of the younger anglers coming in to my shop,I actually try to help them and dont see them as a quick fiver.
Hence the tackle saving club.
I hope that all of the younger anglers and the more experieced will understand that not all dealers are the same.[:D]

Andy.

anyexcuse

I have to agree with Mike S on this one. My bailiffs have had kids as young as 10yrs old 'dumped' on them for the day. Even when they spoke to the parent concerned, the parents response was to dump them up the top of the path to the pond, so the father didnt have to come into contact with the bailffs.
We have an established coaching program for youngsters which we dont charge for. We want to teach kids how to fish, not to teach adults how to be parents. Perhaps the fact we dont charge leaves us open to being the cheaper option. Whatever we're doing we must be doing something right as our junior membership leapt up by 50% last year - we might even make fishing 'cool' one day!!!

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

Matchlad

im 15 their is some anglers that just dont like us i've fished and bet some in my area i want to know of any clubs for the juniors match fishing

rob come on lad look after us

Tight Lines Bend Poles

mike s

Well said about rubbish tackle Tiny.
I will NOT stock those horrible, useless "all in one" piles of rubbish that are shrink wrapped onto cardboard, or anything else of a similar "quality".
Rubbish kit is the best way to ensure that a youngster never really gets into angling. Those shops that sell this sort of stuff are doing themselves no favours-the young angler of today is going to be an adult in a few years & therefore likely to be wanting some expensive gear. They wont go to a shop that they remember as ripping them off when they were young.
The manufacturers of this dross should be ashamed of themselves.

Cumbria Angling Centre

fishing_mad

my local res is doing soething for youngsters they can lend tackle until they get there own and so on.i think thats a good thing

Fishing Mad[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.