Kids and their computers

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've not been visiting the site on a regular basis for a few days so please forgive me if this has already been done. A kid won £1.8 million at the week end playing the game 'Fortnite', do you think this will sway parents into encouraging their kids to stay up all night and spend every waking moment 'practising'.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The mind boggles Dave. My mates mates young lad has developed some sort of App he tells me and one of the big tecky giants is interested in buying it. I believe its some sort of shopping App that instantly tells you the calorific values of your purchases as you add them to your virtual shopping basket. We are talking six figures. It beats being an electrician thats for sure.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
There are still opportunities out there mate. My problem is; I am clever enough to know this but too thick to know how to capitalise on it.

jods

Site Supporter
Playing computer games is like playing sport you are good or you aren't. Developing apps is very different, coding is just learning a language one that a computer or phone speaks. You still need a great idea for somebody to buy it.
I learnt a bit of pascal in the 80's.
I did some html, css and a bit of Python a few years ago, but i don't use it so not kept up.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Playing computer games is like playing sport you are good or you aren't. Developing apps is very different, coding is just learning a language one that a computer or phone speaks. You still need a great idea for somebody to buy it.
  • C. C is one of the oldest coding languages still around today. ...
  • C# ...
  • Objective C. ...
  • C++ ...
  • Java. ...
  • JavaScript. ...
  • Python. ...
  • Ruby.
Straight over my bonce that. Aint a clue. Good luck to them I say. It beats working 40 + hour weeks until you die doesnt it ? Good luck to em.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Firstly good luck to the lad. However this means that there is a good chance that I'm now going to have even more students, who believe that they don't need to work, as they are going to be "You Tubers" (I get a fair few explaining to me how much they are going to make) or testing video games for a living.
When I first retired and was volunteering at two local schools. I had 6 students, who were going to be professional footballers, so didn't need to try in lessons. When I asked about their back up plans, you know just in case, they all really believed that they were destined for stardom.

Dusty

Fair play to the lad, personally I don’t see the difference between winning this and someone winning Fishomania.
I think the impact news like this has on other kids is often overstated, there might be the odd few who aren’t very grounded that want to follow suit.
As Chervil said there are always a few in each class who think they are going to become superstars.

lp1886

Being a closet gamer myself to get that good takes some serious practice and lighting reactions. That Fortnite World Cup had over 40 million participants just to qualify!!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I learnt a bit of pascal in the 80's.
I did some html, css and a bit of Python a few years ago, but i don't use it so not kept up.

There’s a big difference between being able to program and being a programmer. I started programming at university but after 30 years doing it professionally I am still learning. I program microprocessors and I learn new techniques all the time. You really have to understand how the processor works to be good at it and they change all the time. Youngsters start at a very early age these days and if they have the natural talent they get really good at it.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I wonder what the response would have been if the young lad that won had entered a chess tournament with the same prize money and won ?

My Nephew is a big gamer and has YouTube channel X K Twitter followers etc. He has been approached by a company in the USA who want to sponsor him. They have offered to pay for flights / accommodation / expenses etc to travel to the USA for both him & my brother as my nephew is only 16. It's not an easy decision as my nephew is a straight A student, whether he goes to college and then maybe on to University or go down the sponsored gamer route. At the end of the day my nephew could give it a go and if he finds it's not for him then enrol at a college so nothing lost at the end of the day.

Right I'm off to brush up on My Doom95 gaming skills. :D

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The American military take a serious interest in the kids taking part in these tournaments as they consider that some of the skills they have are essential for the future tech war - robotics,drone control,remote vehicles etc.

bluemack

Site Supporter
The American military take a serious interest in the kids taking part in these tournaments as they consider that some of the skills they have are essential for the future tech war - robotics,drone control,remote vehicles etc.
I wonder if they would consider me then,i have a full understanding of the t.v remote control.:):)