Kidney Lake, Milton Pools

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
For approx. 2 weeks I had been preparing for a group fishing session on the River test. Stick floats & bait had been purchased and I had been swatting up on trotting and stick float tutorials...That was until BoJo’s announcement yesterday which scuppered even the best laid plan...

I was still keen to find somewhere to fish this morning and decided to head over to Milton Pools in Oxfordshire. I took my feeder and float rod in the hope of trying a half and half session on Len’s Lake.

Turning up at 7.50am, I was greeted with ‘Are you here for the match on Len’s lake??’
‘No, what other lakes can I fish?’
‘Give kidney lake a go, that is available today’

After unpacking the gear, I headed over to Kidney lake and as the name suggests it is a kidney shaped half an acre lake (pond really.)

I setup a 13 foot float rod with 4lb mainline and 3lb hook. Size 18 hook with double maggot on a 2.5bb inserted Waggler.

At 9am I had my float in the water in the water and a cup of tea ready to drink.
I fished a rod length out, slightly to my right and within 30 seconds, I had my first bite. After landing 1 fish in the past 9 hours of fishing, this was a welcome sight.
It resulted in a small roach, with another 4 following shortly after.

For the first 2 hours the bites kept coming and included 2 decent sized fish that I’m unsure of the exact species??

BF7BA621-991C-486A-ACEE-7B04B48972E6.jpeg
Crucian? Hybrid? Common?

9D48827B-F1FD-40C8-8D60-9D574CC99C05.jpeg
initially I thought Roach but now I’m starting to think perhaps it’s an Ide?

A few skimmers made an appearance, before I landed the biggest fish of the day. The float smashed its way under and It was the first time I’d seen a proper bend in the float rod. After a few minutes it surfaced and as suspected it was a carp. It dived backed under and thrashed around crazily, I tried to net it 3 times and it kept making a last grasp break for freedom. After around 5 mins I finally landed a nice common of 5lb 1oz. It is the only fish I have ever weighed and if I’m honest I thought it was bigger. It just goes to show I overestimate every fish I catch 😂

922A2712-F63D-4DFB-B430-1EA9E90AE646.jpeg

The bites dried up between 11.30 - 1.30pm so I decided to try and fish further out. I changed to a 2.5AAA Waggler float and fished between 2-2.5 rod lengths out. The bites steadily increased with a few roach and skimmers. For the last hour I changed the hook bait to sweetcorn and was immediately rewarded with a steady flow of skimmers & carp.

8C7EA7D3-85BB-4C1D-8725-32FA86699239.jpeg
I called it a day at around 3pm with a total of around 25 fish for a total net weight of 20lb +. The afternoon session was more of a challenge and I had to try a few different tactics to get more bites. This made it more enjoyable as a result.

I did mean to take a couple of pics of the peg and the lake itself but I only remembered as I was walking off with kit in tow..

it wasn’t quite the day I had originally planned but it was a very good 2nd best and has given me a bit of a confidence boost following a couple of tough recent sessions..

Milton Pools itself seems well organised, clean and I liked how much room I had to setup and store kit..the fish also appeared to be healthy and in good condition. I will definitely head back and hopefully will get a chance to fish Lens lake. Thanks for reading and tight lines..🎣

Total

Site Supporter
Nice day out and a good read....:).....First photo, F1.....Second photo, Roach...;)(y)......Have fished Milton Pools a number of times and a lovely fishery, apart from the traffic sound from the nearby motorway..:giggle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice session well done mate 👍🏻Can’t grumble at that on chilly windy day 🙂

Kidney is my favourite water at Milton (which itself is probably the only good proper commercial in these parts) mainly because it’s furthest from the motorway and you don’t get people lobbing leads at you! Always pretty good for nice roach, rudd, skimmers, crucians etc and the carp are very manageable size as well.

Been a couple years since I fished it. My grandad used to go do charity events with disabled children there so last time he went I went along and fished kidney whilst he was on the match lake. Obviously all that got ballsed up this year 🙁

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Nice day out and a good read....:).....First photo, F1.....Second photo, Roach...;)(y)......Have fished Milton Pools a number of times and a lovely fishery, apart from the traffic sound from the nearby motorway..:giggle:
Cheers pal.
I’ve never seen an F1 first hand so at least that’s one ticked off the species list..👍
I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the place was and I had heard about the noise prior, but I didn’t really notice it where I was fishing..

Last edited:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Nice session well done mate 👍🏻Can’t grumble at that on chilly windy day 🙂

Kidney is my favourite water at Milton (which itself is probably the only good proper commercial in these parts) mainly because it’s furthest from the motorway and you don’t get people lobbing leads at you! Always pretty good for nice roach, rudd, skimmers, crucians etc and the carp are very manageable size as well.

Been a couple years since I fished it. My grandad used to go do charity events with disabled children there so last time he went I went along and fished kidney whilst he was on the match lake. Obviously all that got ballsed up this year 🙁
Cheers pal. I forgot to mention that, the wind really picked up in the afternoon and it made casting difficult. But good practice at least.

You’re spot on, the species list is fantastic for such a small piece of water..a large reason as to why it appealed. It really knocked the spots off of the pond I fished at Linears tbh.

Ah what a shame the event couldn’t go ahead this year and fp to your Grandad for getting involved.

If you have any plans to head back soon, feel free to give me a shout and I’ll join you. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Really glad you enjoyed it mate 👍🏻 You’ll empty the place when it warms up. Can do 20lb of silvers alone on a good day so throw the carp in and 50lb is easily doable.

It’s the sort of pond that would be lovely in your garden isn’t it! Tbh all the ponds there are quite attractive individually, only downside (apart from the road) is they are all a bit crammed in so you can literally end up fishing back to back with people when it’s busy. Collectively they look more like a fish farm than a fishery 😂

I’ll likely have a go there in the late spring/early summer. Maybe before if it keeps raining as had a wander down a stretch of the Thames this morning and 4 of the 6 pegs I’ve fished on it this year are now under at least a foot of water (double that on a couple) and the other 2 which formerly needed a long landing net handle could now be doable without a handle 😅

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Really glad you enjoyed it mate 👍🏻 You’ll empty the place when it warms up. Can do 20lb of silvers alone on a good day so throw the carp in and 50lb is easily doable.

It’s the sort of pond that would be lovely in your garden isn’t it! Tbh all the ponds there are quite attractive individually, only downside (apart from the road) is they are all a bit crammed in so you can literally end up fishing back to back with people when it’s busy. Collectively they look more like a fish farm than a fishery 😂

I’ll likely have a go there in the late spring/early summer. Maybe before if it keeps raining as had a wander down a stretch of the Thames this morning and 4 of the 6 pegs I’ve fished on it this year are now under at least a foot of water (double that on a couple) and the other 2 which formerly needed a long landing net handle could now be doable without a handle 😅
I bet! If it fishes like that in the winter, I imagine the fish are literally jumping on your hook in the summer!

If I had that in my back garden, I’d never spend anytime indoors! Ha

I didn’t explore any of the other lakes but the House lake and Lens lake did look very close together. Lens lake & kidney lake are usually quiet according to the owner..

crikey, don’t forget your snorkel..is it still fishable in the swims you can get to? That surprises me as it doesn’t feel like we’ve had that much rain this year, in comparison to others, or is that just me?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Whichever lake is next over from kidney generally has the odd space reckon you’d enjoy that as well 👍🏻 Only fished it once myself but my uncle used to fish it regularly and used to get stacks of roach and proper bream, even a golden tench once!

No wasn’t really fishable on that stretch with anything other than a barbel rod lol. Was some people fishing the lock cut but very little was coming out. Was also a match in the city centre and that was borderline conditions wise as well apparently so everyone really struggled. It was a much drier autumn compared to last year which was good but December has been pretty wet. Will be full in flood by Wednesday judging by the forecast. It is what it is this time of year.