Kens still in hospital

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I posted last week about my dad (Ken) being took into hospital. Unfortunately he is still in, they found a few things wrong so they kept him in to get him sorted. He is due an operation this afternoon to improve the blood flow to his foot as he has a diabetic ulcer that is not healing properly. I rang the hospital on Saturday and they said they would call me back and let me speak to him. Unfortunately they didn't. I rang again on Sunday and they took the phone to him and we had a great chat. He was singing the praises of the nursing staff and told me that the ward sister had sat with him for over an hour trying to get through to me on the phone (made me feel bad as I thought they had not bothered). He was transferred to QMC today and the nurses and patients on the ward at city all said they would miss him as he had kept them so entertained. Along with telling young nurses "I wish I was 20 years younger " that would put him at 72 and the nurses were probably early twenties. A couple of his quotes were "I've had so many people looking at my a**e I feel like Elton John" and "they gave me a pessary that was so big if I had f**Ted it would have landed in Glasgow". As @ukzero1 said, it is amazing what you can get away with when you are a pensioner.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Sounds a top bloke,sounds like my dad was when he was 80 coming out with different things, hope he gets better soon Dave, 👍

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Respect to Mr Spence Snr, hope he gets back home tomorrow Dave. :upthumb::upthumb:

Now I know who to go to to keep Spence Jnr in line. :D:D

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I never ever called my dad by his first name when he was alive
It's just something that I have always done Mick, my dad is Ken and my mum was Vi. The only people I gave titles to were my grandma and grandad everyone else was first names.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I posted last week about my dad (Ken) being took into hospital. Unfortunately he is still in, they found a few things wrong so they kept him in to get him sorted. He is due an operation this afternoon to improve the blood flow to his foot as he has a diabetic ulcer that is not healing properly. I rang the hospital on Saturday and they said they would call me back and let me speak to him. Unfortunately they didn't. I rang again on Sunday and they took the phone to him and we had a great chat. He was singing the praises of the nursing staff and told me that the ward sister had sat with him for over an hour trying to get through to me on the phone (made me feel bad as I thought they had not bothered). He was transferred to QMC today and the nurses and patients on the ward at city all said they would miss him as he had kept them so entertained. Along with telling young nurses "I wish I was 20 years younger " that would put him at 72 and the nurses were probably early twenties. A couple of his quotes were "I've had so many people looking at my a**e I feel like Elton John" and "they gave me a pessary that was so big if I had f**Ted it would have landed in Glasgow". As @ukzero1 said, it is amazing what you can get away with when you are a pensioner.
Love the sound of Ken ,great sense of humour , best wishes and hope he recovers soon 🥰

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
My best wishes to your Dad, sounds a great bloke😁👍
He's always been my best mate and he was one of the best anglers I've ever known. Some of the tales I have about him are seemingly unbelievable, like how he used to make us laugh by blowing up a hot water bottle like a balloon.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Best wishes to your Dad for a speedy recovery. I know what you mean about 'old' folk being able to get away with anything - my Dad was wonderfully terrible in that respect, but all the nurses and carers thought he was wonderful. (y)