keepnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashy

bashy
i am just wondering, what the difference is to using a keepnet for match fishing and using one for pleasure fishing?

can anyone tell me as i am confused you can go to a water like woodlands, no keepnets allowed, fish a match there and keepnets are allowed.
now to me i really can not see the reason behind this way of thinking, as most keepnets that you get these days are designed to keep the fish fairly stress/injury free, so you can't really use that as a reason.i, like most like to see my total catch at the end of the day maybe take a photo or two and see how much the fish weigh. it just seems to me that along with these commercial fisheries comes more and more rules and regulations, which on one hand give you more or less a guaranteed catch (even if it is a foul hooked fish), but they have taken away the enjoyment of seeing your days catch all together, for that photo opportunity.

am i in the minoroty here are do most of you think like this?

bashy.

lucky wayne

Account Locked
i dont fish anywhere that dont allow keepnets unless its in matches seems to me its just the trend to ban them either that or the fisheries cant be bothered to bailiff the water to check people are keeping to the rules i had a ticket for mallory park the owner banned keepnets for as he put it fish conservation then has several matches a week his choice i guess but seems to me its double standards so i dont get a ticket and fish places that dont use double standards if more did this maybe they would change there rules

Floater

You need to ask yourself why you need a keepnet for pleasure fishing. A match requires you to collect your catch until the weigh in, a good reason to need one. There is no real alternative. Now fishing purely for pleasure...why is it necessary to collect them all? I can understand commercials banning nets except for matches as from my experience of fishing waters that are heavily used for matches that generally the fish are 'tattier' and it is in their interest to protect their investment. They will however put financial concerns first and if match fishing is a large part of their turnover they will apply double standards.

For all angling on the Fylde see http://www.angling-northwest.co.uk

wagnmag

There is one point that seems to be overlooked here, match's are held over a 5 hour time period ( usually )after which time the fish are returned to the water. However there are no time restraints with pleasure fishermen and therefore a situation could arise where an angler could retain his/her catch for 12 hours or more, which I'm sure you would agree is not going to be beneficial to the fish.
Why don't fisheries adopt a rule which permits the use of keepnets as long as they are emptied after 5 hours, that way everyone is happy.

Wagnmag

Matchlad

im a young lad (15) and from what i seem to know it is because u get kids that go with their mates and get the keepnets out even 10 mins and another is when u go to a commercial fishery the fish are that easy to catch it woundnt be healthy for the fish in the not for 8hours or so but if u like usin keepnets go to a canal ?or browning cudmores its 6pound to fish and pay another pound for the keepnet rob

Never fish out too far we cast past more fish than we CATCH

norm

right this is the crack and i do not give a s**t wot anyone else thinks

you should be allowed keep nets for pleasure

i reckon they are not allowed is because at the end of the day you could take your whole catch home (or to your fav pond)

i fished somewere (EDIT) on Thursday
i have never in my life fishing seen so much s**t in my life

them fish were just thrown back in

and i mean thrown
no pleasure fisherman would ever treat them fish as bad as the bloody so called staff did

it is rubbish i was gutted to see the way the so called staff treat the fish

Datafile4.asp

Last edited:

bashy

bashy
norm i do agree with you about how the fish were just thrown into the weigh sack and then thrown back in, <EDIT> was my first ever match and don't get me wrong i really enjoyed the fishing and it seemed to have a bit of an atmosphere about it ( or maybe that was the nerves) but i have never treated fish in that manner.

back to my original point though using a keepnet should be okay on any water when it is being used correctly and that is down to the anglers using them. i used to work in the aquatic trade and i have seen tropical fish that have been in bags for 24 hours with the temprature cooling over that period so a fish in a keepnet would not be affected for upto twelve hours, obviously you are not going to put a high double fish like a carp of 20lb+ in a keepnet but the smaller fish would be fine.

bashy.

norm

bashy

no probs mate
i would never have said you would treat fish in that manner

thats why you should be allowed to use keep nets

but tell me
do you think it is write the way the fish are treat at the weight in

PS that question is open to every one

Datafile4.asp

bashy

bashy
to be honest norm one of the first things i was taught about fishing was how to look after the fish, when you put them back in place them in the water hold them for a bit until they swim freely away from your hands etc. but the weigh in at woodlands did go against everything i know about the care of fish. i have never witnessed a weigh in before so i don't know whether or not that is standard practice to go round that number of anglers weigh them in in about ten minutes does seem pretty quick to me.

bashy.

Alnath

I have just taken my keepnet out of my carry all, i realised i had used it twice in 2 years, no point carrying it if they wont let us use them :(

karlgixer

quote:Originally posted by wagnmag

There is one point that seems to be overlooked here, match's are held over a 5 hour time period ( usually )after which time the fish are returned to the water. However there are no time restraints with pleasure fishermen and therefore a situation could arise where an angler could retain his/her catch for 12 hours or more, which I'm sure you would agree is not going to be beneficial to the fish.
Why don't fisheries adopt a rule which permits the use of keepnets as long as they are emptied after 5 hours, that way everyone is happy.

Wagnmag

the ting that gets me with the use off keepnets in matches they say after 5 hours the fish are put back unharmed, what rubbish i was at fishomania about two years ago every half hour each anglers fish where wieghd and put into another net at the side of the angler, at the end of the five hour match the second keepnet was wieghed to get final wieght when the net was pulled out 46kg of fish where hauld onto the bank the fish at the bottom where to beeing crushed i was apould they call them selfs anglers. hook into a 12lb carp on the pole and within 5 seconds its in the landing net, this to me is not fishing the anglers are in it for the money, not for the love of angling.they should allow keepnets for all and use the rule my local water uses keepnets must be emptyed every 5 hours.

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
There's no real need to use keepnets for pleasure fishing on commercials, it does cause a certain amout of stress on the fish and I feel fishery owners are right to protect thier assets. Of cause this is different in a match situation where keepnets are needed. As for getting a 12lb carp in the net in five seconds- that causes far less stress to the fish than over playing it, and i think you'll find karl that theres not a match angler in the country who's in it for the money. Very few of us break even let alone make a fortune out of the sport.

bashy

bashy
the point i am wanting to get across is what is the difference between using a net for a match and using a net for pleasure? yes i know that a keepnet is a nessessity for a match as how else would you be able to determine a winner, but how can you justify using a net for matches and banning them for pleasure anglers who may not be intersted in match fishing, or on the other hand if you are practising for a match how can you really get an accurate idea of how a particular bait or method faired on the water if you cannot use a net for your "dummy" run?

bashy.

lucky wayne

Account Locked
i think this subject just goes to show why us fishermen as a group are not taken seriously its always a case of i dont use one so theres no need for others to use one or i dont match fish why so many matches or i like catching roach not carp why stock them i think why not all stick together for the sport we all love keepnets are used by those who want to enjoy seeing there catch thats why they should be used if you dont like them its simple dont use them but please dont stop others enjoying themselves

Apache

I will not use a keepnet for pleasure fshing, and i will never put barbel, carp, catfish or pike of any size in a keepnet

Tight Lines,
Matt

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

dave k

nothing wrong with using a keepnet, just follow the code of conduct for them.

details can be found on this site
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/saa/Code2002.htm

Dave Kennedy
http://usscangling.homestead.com/entry.html

Floater

Funny isn't it how opinions regarding keepnets, poles via rods and such topics always seem to raise a few heckles!

For all angling on the Fylde see http://www.angling-northwest.co.uk

pjroberts31

Hi Lads I think that you will find that most pleasure fishery's won't allow keep nets for one major reason.

DISEASE

You'll find that a lot of anglers if allowed will empty their nets and put them away without drying them, then go to anther pool on a fishery or go to a completely differant fishery the next day. That night they left their tackle in the car, then went fishing the next day. Then their wet nets were put in the lake and with it a water bourne disease because they couldn't be bothered to dry their nets.

PJR31.... wave.gif

Apache

yeah, but at least no one takes umbrage starts throwing threats and insults around as has happened on other forums.

Tight Lines,
Matt

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
keepnets are so fish friendly now that i think they should always be allowed to be used, but the max time should be set for 5hrs! we put enough fish into keepnets when match fishign and all the fish are fine and swim off at the end so why not allow them all the time???????

Browning Hotrods 007.gif Browning JP Tackle 007.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.