Keepnets or lack of em

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
having just come back in to Angling after a 8 year work break lol i cant belive the changes in the sport the tackle is superb and seems to have come down in price gone are the days of a rod for each method,one rod for ledgering and one for float fishing seem to cover all my needs for the fishing i do and the poles wow very impressive.
Now i am a pure pleasure angler and i like to fish venues with a bit of character not a hole in a field with a few paving slabs wacked down for a peg but having said this i also like to use a keepnet to view my catch at the end of a days fishing, but it seems to me unless you fish in a match very few fisheries allow you to use them when i purchased my keep net i bought a top of the range all dancing all singing fish friendly one but i have still yet to get the damn thing wet lol,i cant for the life of me understand why match fishermen can use em and pleasure anglers can't i know the match anglers need to weight there fish at the end of the match but all i want to do as a pleasure angler is view my catch whats the difference and more to the point whats the point in buying a keepnet ?.
Another idea for fisheries is to say charge anglers a extra 1 if they want to use a keepnet to cover loss etc etc, in all my years fo fishing i have never once seen any of my fish damaged or die in my keepnet,if you are carefull and sensible for example if its hot u cant sink the net etc etc basically its just common sense and 99% of anglers have lots of it lol.
Anyways thats my 2 cents worth and i look forward to reading your replys....

watty

I don't know for certain Al but it might be down to the length of time your fishing ie: a match lasts 4/5 hours but your days pleasure fishing might last 12 hrs therefore the fish would be in the net longer.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Our matches lsted for 8 hours. I have lostfish in my net, due to the inconciderate sailor boys with their posh yatchs that are that big they should be in the sea not the river Ouse etc. The bow wave they cause batters all the fish no matter how careful you are. I agree that pleasure anglers look after their fish as well as match fishermen, but I have seen juniors with nets with only the botom 1" in the water, nets laid across shallow water only 1/3 of the way up the rings, and when you try to educate these"anglers" you get either indifference or cheek.As for a venue charging me to use my own keepnet, well that one venue I wont be fishing. If all anglers stuck together they would soon change their minds if their revenue stopped coming in.........Haydn....

there is no such thing as a stranger..just friends who have not yet met.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Yes mate thats a good point but having said that the nets of today are very fish friendly and as long as common sense is used i cant see that being a problem i have had over 100llbs of bream in a net in ireland for quite a while and on a few occasions no harm as come to any fish ?

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
show off AL

there is no such thing as a stranger..just friends who have not yet met.

MALC

Firstly welcome to MDs AL_Peters.

[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]Keepnets[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
This is something that really gets my back up as 90% of my fishing is via matches and the other 10% is practising for matches.

On venues that allow keepnets even with an additional charge i have no problem, same with the rule that most have regards no fish over a certain weight in a keepnet.
These venues i'll fish without a thought.

Then we come to the venue that has 5 matches a week (or more) and i go there to practise for a future match and find the only pegs going are on the same lake as a match using keepnets but i can't use one.
On these waters normally i'll respond with my feet and walk away and don't fish them.

The most popular reason i've been given by fishery owners for their No Net policy is that pleasure anglers will keep the fish for to long in a net.
My responce is well you have venue rules regards allowed baits,hooks and countless other things so why not just put a rule on keepnets saying they must be emptied after X amount of time (some have this rule).

Their normal reply is "it can't be policed" and this is also true of most of the fishery rules that are in place on commercials.

They make a bloody great list of Do's & Dont's but VERY few of them can be bothered to come around and check that none of the rules are being broken and going by the amount of Barbed hooks i've found at some commercials there is a hell of a lot of Rule breaking going on.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Summed it up nicely there Malc,nothing i can add to it.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

norm

i must admit
i like venues were you can use keepnets

but if you cant then so be it

Status
Not open for further replies.