Keepnets for pleasure fishing?

• Yes, where allowed.

Votes: 56 70.9%
  • No, only for matches.

Votes: 23 29.1%

• Total voters

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Why were you going to change your stance if the results went the other way?
No I'd still use a keepnet. It came up in another thread where a number of people spoke out against the use of keepnets for pleasure fishing, so I did a simple poll.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Because Paul?:unsure:
Because it tends to pit angler against angler, something that the sport could do without, as Nicky intimates many adopt what could be conceived as a quite a sanctimonious stance against those that enjoy using a keepnet whilst pleasure fishing deeming it unnecessary, it is, but so is catching the fish in the first instance.
INCOMING!!!!!!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The thing is, the divide if there is one existed before this poll, not because of it. I have defended keepnets before but no one cares, everyone has their own opinion, it's not going to rip angling apart. I'm not using this thread to state my stance, all people have to do is vote.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
The thing is, the divide if there is one existed before this poll, not because of it. I have defended keepnets before but no one cares, everyone has their own opinion, it's not going to rip angling apart. I'm not using this thread to state my stance, all people have to do is vote.
I understand where you’re coming from, but it’s a very emotive subject,if this were on the main forum it’d kicking off.🤣👍

Total

Site Supporter
Because it tends to pit angler against angler, something that the sport could do without, as Nicky intimates many adopt what could be conceived as a quite a sanctimonious stance against those that enjoy using a keepnet whilst pleasure fishing deeming it unnecessary, it is, but so is catching the fish in the first instance.
INCOMING!!!!!!
Simple reasoning Paul....If rules allow.....fill ones boots....(y)

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Fuel for the anti brigade? Wasn't it Germany that banned them for pleasure? Then matches and now anglers have to go to Holland as there is no catch and release. Fishing for the pot only.

booboo

Site Supporter
I vote no, but mixed feelings on this really. As someone already said it's nice to see the results of a days silvers fishing - particularly this time of year when they have to be worked for. Also great for kids. One of the things I loved as a kid was the 'surprise' of lifting the net at the end of the session to admire/photo the days catch.
I voted no though, because any venue I've fished that does allow them , the fish are obviously more tatty and unhealthy, even with the use of midern nets which I admit are a long way from my 1980's keenets special

Griffo

Site Supporter
I vote no, but mixed feelings on this really.………………. because any venue I've fished that does allow them , the fish are obviously more tatty and unhealthy, even with the use of midern nets which I admit are a long way from my 1980's keenets special
Thats very true and that’s why when allowed it go’s wrong, we all have that old keener special with knotted mesh or that vintage so and so, I remember baggin on the Shannon and having 100 pound or more in a net, attitudes and equipment has changed for the better I think, fisheries have it pretty well policed in the match only scenario but open it up to when pleasure fishing as well and it’s true, the quality of the fish will decline, It’s funny I just got a bag down out of the roof of the garage with 3 keenet carp friendly mesh spoon landing nets in it, nothing friendly about that mesh compared to what’s available now, binned.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
There’s a venue near me who lets you use them if your are sensible, it’s now my go to venue.