Keepnets for pleasure fishing?

• Yes, where allowed.

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • No, only for matches.

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know where I stand on this debate, but it comes up often enough it's worth a simple poll.

Shadrack

Have never used them myself but I don’t see an issue with them as long as people aren’t being daft and putting large carp or barbel in them.
I’ve had the thought of getting one for sessions on the silvers but never gotten round to it.

84fisherman

Andy HLAC
Account Locked
Need to change poll titles. It's not a matter of "if you are allowed" it's either you use one in pleasure fishing or not lol.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Need to change poll titles. It's not a matter of "if you are allowed" it's either you use one in pleasure fishing or not lol.
I wanted to keep it simple. Some places don't allow keepnets but some do.

84fisherman

Andy HLAC
Account Locked
I wanted to keep it simple. Some places don't allow keepnets but some do.
but some people also are allowed to use them and not allowed to use them lol. It might not be a choice if you are allowed or not. :)

If you get me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think they’re fine provided they’re used properly. I just can’t be bothered to buy then lug one around.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I like to have a keepnet or two in the few places it is still allowed. I always tip back when I stop for lunch and again a few hours later.
I think the problem is, and why they are match-only at a lot of venues, is that a lot of idiots would stuff them full and leave them for many hours.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I don’t own a keepnet, not used one since my younger days fishing matches. I used them sometimes on pleasure sessions back then too. I have considered getting one for use on the rivers, just to see what weight of silvers I can catch out of interest. It’s the thought of unnecessarily stressing fish out that puts me off, well that and the fact I might only use it a few times a year.

Nicky Dodds

Alarm bells always sound with me when this issue is raised.
And me mate. I fail to see any benefit that can be gained by poking the Hornets nest down the same hole repeatedly. From an angling perspective there is absolutely nothing to be gained from this poll other than create a divide over a facility that we can and have used for years.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Usually when it's raised it's someone saying 'leave keepnets for matches only' so I don't take your point about this poll, although I do think the same thing when people keep saying 'keepnets for matches only'. I get tired of defending their use as everyone is entitled to an opinion. You don't get people sticking their neck out and saying 'keepnets are fine'. This thread can be used for reference next time someone inevitably speaks out against their use.

Nicky Dodds

If anyone did stick their neck out in defence of keepnets it would go unnoticed. All it does is brings out all the holier than thou merchants who then proceed to give the reasons why they dont use them. I dont give a flying whether you like keepnets or not...each to their own. But I dont want to have to spring to the defence of something we have already got when someone is desperate for a forum chat and no other reason.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If anyone did stick their neck out in defence of keepnets it would go unnoticed. All it does is brings out all the holier than thou merchants who then proceed to give the reasons why they dont use them. I dont give a flying whether you like keepnets or not...each to their own. But I dont want to have to spring to the defence of something we have already got when someone is desperate for a forum chat and no other reason.
The idea of the poll was to gauge opinion.