Keepnet repair

Rigmann

Site Supporter
Gents
Ripped a hole about golf ball size in my new net ,what’s the best way to repair?

Thanks

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
small cable ties or needle and thread... failing that a new net

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Is it a proper hole, or just a rip? If it's just a rip you can sew it back together with a needle and some strong line.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I just use needle & thread. You could use nylon of you think the thread is not strong enough.

Krh57

Site Supporter
If you have a plastic glue gun you can always try that. Pull the hole together, put a piece of material one side of the net, pipe glue all over the rip then sandwich with another piece of material ( the material should be something that the glue will not adhere to, ie steel or something similar )

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I use fly backing line, 20 or 30 lb, I use a large needle from my wife's sewing machine.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I use braided line. But for quick repairs on the bank just use a small cable tie.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A second vote for sewing it with Braid

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I fixed a black one with black fly backing line could hardly see it

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a warning on using cable ties, I have seen a angler told he can’t use a net with cable tie repairs in, even though the tags were on the outside.

I’m afraid, having lost a netful of fish that cost me a win, albeit many years ago, I replace nets when they start to look worn and definitely replace them if they get holed.

That’s said, with the onset of winter and lower weights likely, I did try to mend one the other week, one of the rings had broken, I put a tiny slit in the mesh adjacent to the join, got the broken pieces out of the inside of the hoops (aluminium ring, with a smaller aluminium tube as the joiner) and used some industrial strength glue to hold a new joiner in place, what I didn’t realise would happen, was that the glue, attacked/melted the net material, so even after all that work, it ended up in the bin.

Total

Site Supporter
Just a warning on using cable ties, I have seen a angler told he can’t use a net with cable tie repairs in, even though the tags were on the outside......

Chris, May I ask was this a directive from a venue owner or from someone running a competition? Thank you.(y)