Keepnet positioning

90sGear

Site Supporter
I’ve recently started to attach the ends of my nets to the seat box leg to keep them out the way using some pole elastic. I need some help, how do you approach this in two scenarios.
1. Using more than two nets
2. When the near side margin is too shallow, do you revert to placing them out in front of you not allowed your box in the water?
Thanks in advance

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Apologies but given that we should be looking after fish welfare and nets are a certain size to help with that why compromise the space by not having your nets straight out in front? Seems like an unneccessary complication to me.

Total

Site Supporter
Being correctly set up and comfortable makes a big difference. Consider purchasing proper attachments, you'll be more efficient, organised and that helps to put more fish in the net. Although the below is over kill, even with one net my set up is the same with everything at hand

20210626_152708.jpg
^^ That peg looks typical of one of our Peter's draws!:oops:;)(y)

90sGear

Site Supporter
Yep I have a bar so that’s all good it’s more the positioning so they aren’t lead out in front where hooked fish can snag me or hook catches the nets when filling the cad pot.

90sGear

Site Supporter
Apologies but given that we should be looking after fish welfare and nets are a certain size to help with that why compromise the space by not having your nets straight out in front? Seems like an unneccessary complication to me.
Agree fish welfare when my nets go sideways there is plenty of room, they still have the full length of the net to swim in

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Yep I have a bar so that’s all good it’s more the positioning so they aren’t lead out in front where hooked fish can snag me or hook catches the nets when filling the cad pot.
As a novice, I went through a stage of hooking my keepnets on a regular basis, multiple times during some matches.

I found that trapping the line at the hooklength between my topkit and my hand whilst filling the toss pot stops it from happening, because it’s not hanging down.

Pretty simple when you think about it, not sure why it took me so long to figure it out 😳😳

SUFC

I’ve recently started to attach the ends of my nets to the seat box leg to keep them out the way using some pole elastic.
I think I'm being thick - I can't picture this setup. Are you talking about the closed end of the net being attached to your seatbox with elastic? So the open end is off to one side, right?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Still confused then. If you are tethering a net base to your legs then surely the net will be bent back on itself effectively halving the length underwater.

On the canal I will tether the bottom of the net to a bankstick so the net is stretched along the bank and cannot be collapsed by passing boats. But on a commercial I want the nets in front and not fouling the margin I want to fish.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I think I'm being thick - I can't picture this setup. Are you talking about the closed end of the net being attached to your seatbox with elastic? So the open end is off to one side, right?
That's what I can't understand. Need a photo.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I was watching one of Jon Arthur's videos recently & he was doing the thing with the pole elastic. I appreciate where the OP is coming from because I've had the same issue of snagging my keepnets. When I used to match fish, you only needed one in the winter!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
By folding the keepnet round the platform legs you are reducing the available space for the fish. Plus would ruin some of the margins I have fished. By the time you put your fifth net in its going to get very crowded.

Don't tell me we don't all need five keepnets in easy to fish commercials where two hundred pound is the norm.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Being correctly set up and comfortable makes a big difference. Consider purchasing proper attachments, you'll be more efficient, organised and that helps to put more fish in the net. Although the below is over kill, even with one net my set up is the same with everything at hand

20210626_152708.jpg
Not a knock at you Dave OR anyone else that fishes using so many nets( i do realise it,s necessary on a lot of waters)
But i could,nt fish like that to save my life,it looks so messy and awkward.:):censored: