Keepnet murmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokun

I have one or two murmers in the local tackle shops regarding new legislation on keepnets ? anyone know about this or is it just tackle shop gossip ??

I am in the north of england

Polepot

Poles
Mokum,

It is said that the Premier Fisheries are going to approve only certian nets next year. They are doing this in liason with the net manufacturers

Polepot

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

jonesr

Does this mean a lowering in the price of nets?
Probably not!
I dont carry a keepnet unless in a competition.
I think that in a majority of trips out it wouldn't get used.I'm afraid that I have gone past the stage of wanting to weigh everything.

Ron J.

hoppy

hoppy
Mokun, here's a reference to keepnets/landing nets from another angling site,
posted 23. June 2002 11:37 PM....Iv'e copied and pasted onto here...cheers...hoppy [;)]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months ago members of the Commercial Coarse Fisheries Association/Premier Fisheries approached the Angling Trades Association (for whom I am paid for about 1.5 days a week as Technical Director), expressing concern over the damage caused to fish by some 'rough' types of landing net. The 'shake dry, no smell, pan-scourer hard' netting causes fish to become hyper-active when in the nets, with resultant problems.

It was agreed to establish a nets accreditation group, to assess and - if appropriate - award a kite mark (like the Good Housekeeping one) to nets which were deemed to be fish friendly. CCFA/Premier members had already decided that they would prevent anglers from using fish-unfriendly landing nets on their fisheries, and some have already done just that (e.g. Mallory Park/The Glebe, Lyn-y-Gors); others will follow suit.

Shortly, manufacturers will be invited to register with the scheme (and pay a significant sum to do so), then pay a one-off fee to have their nets assessed by the four-person accreditation panel (of which I am one). A separate application & fee will apply to each type of net but not for different length nets of the same brand name.

If the nets are deemed to have passed the tests, the manufacturers will be eligible to use a logo on the nets and to promote their nets as fish friendly. Non-participating manufacturers are free to do what they like - and may wish to do so - and some will continue to sell perfectly good, safe nets. But the kitemark will be the only way for anglers to be certain that a net IS safe.

The move follows the seminar, hosted by the Institute of Fisheries Management last summer, which flagged up various problems in angling and indicated that, if action was not forthcoming, rules/legislation may be forthcoming.

In the case of nets, the 'trade' is ahead of the game and hopes to phase out poor nets before anyone tries to ban them. So, no legislation but plenty of persuasion is the underlying ethos.

The scheme will gradually be extended to encompass keepnets, carp sacks, fish tubes, unhooking mats, weigh slings and any else of similar ilk. It is NOT up and running yet, but some fisheries are already making provision to protect their fish by allowing only what they deem to be fish-friendly landing nets.

Oh yes. The fees raised by the registration fees, and the submission fees, will be spent on angling education, via another small committee.

Within a couple of years you should be able to purchase nets, sacks, slings and mats marked with the kitemark in full confidence that they are safe for fish and acceptible everywhere.

To repeat: the aim is to (i) safeguard fish health, (ii) stimulate the trade to put its own house in order, (iii) circumvent possible legislation, (iv) let consumers buy with confidence, and (v) raise funds to benefit educational initiatives.

The evidence of problems is new, and the trade has been 'light on its feet' and reacted quickly and positively. In my book that is good for fish, good for fisheries and good for anglers.

[ 23 June 2002, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

--------------------
Bruno

TTFN

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
After reading the above post it seems like a good idea and one that'll further advance fishing withregards to fish welfare.
If it all comes off it looks like it may well be a year or two down the line before 'approved' fish freindly nets start to show on the shelves which by then we will more than likely be needing to replace our nets with new anyway.

I can remember the days of knotted nets with 3/4 inch mesh - we've come a long way since then [:)]

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.