Keepnet Length?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I'm not sure I could live with the embarrassing of pulling more nets out of the water at the end of the match than fish😃
Mate I never get embarrassed if one net or two haven’t many fish in , It is a fact if you put 2 nets in , and your catching well, and get up and put another net in , the fish will spook off , and you’ll stop catching, I’ve learned that lesson....it can kill your chances of winning a match

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I fish a few commercials and don't know of any that insist on 3m. I'm not saying that no commercials insist on 3m but it certainly isn't most.
Most have net limits around 50lb or 3 nets in, evenly spread
2. 5 meters is a silvers net, the original poster now knows from my original post that some do insist on 3 meters, maybe not most! even if the few you fish don't, at least now he can check with the club and fishery's he intends to fish to see if they have the 3 meter rule before he wastes his cash.

Your original post to go no longer than 2.5 meters could have wasted him cash if there is a 3 meter rule where he wants to fish.

crackatoa

Account Locked
2. 5 meters is a silvers net, the original poster now knows from my original post that some do insist on 3 meters, maybe not most! even if the few you fish don't, at least now he can check with the club and fishery's he intends to fish to see if they have the 3 meter rule before he wastes his cash.

Your original post to go no longer than 2.5 meters could have wasted him cash if there is a 3 meter rule where he wants to fish.
He asked what nets are best 2.5m or 3m. In my opinion, a 2.5m is far better on a commercial, because of their limits there is no need to go bigger.
I never said what nets he should buy.

My point still stands though. Most commercials don't insist on 3m. There are none on the Fish'O qualifiers list that do.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
He asked what nets are best 2.5m or 3m. In my opinion, a 2.5m is far better on a commercial, because of their limits there is no need to go bigger.
I never said what nets he should buy.

My point still stands though. Most commercials don't insist on 3m. There are none on the Fish'O qualifiers list that do.
In my opinion 3 meters is better for fish welfare, my point still stands as well, he is fishing a club water to start with not a fisho, and my local club has a 3 meter net limit and a minimum width for the opening, some clubs could be quite particular about it.
Better he checks.

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
Having bought my keep-nets during the famous (and apparently never-ending) tackle drought of late 2020, and needing 2 keep-nets fairly rapidly to start my match fishing career, I have ended up with a 2.5m, a 3m, and a 4m keepnet.

Apart from having to buy a new (bigger) stink bag to fit them all in (who knew that large stinkbags came in 2 sizes?), as far as I can see it makes no difference.

Just need to learn how to position them to avoid getting my hook caught in them anywhere between 3 and 7 times during a match......

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve always had 3m nets - think it was a club rule many moons ago back in my early match fishing days and that’s what I still look for now. Bought a secondhand set of 4 last year and they were all 3m too.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
On some venues with high platforms and/or shallow water, you'd be lucky to get hardly any water in a 2.5m net to put your fish in

Arch

Site Supporter
I wonder what the Oxygen levels in the margins are like in some of these venues in the height of Summer ??

JLK

With net limits, there is no need to go bigger than 2.5m. As for putting the nets in, just lower them in gently with as little disturbance as possible.
I see people at club level that use long nets and throw the heavily weighted end as far as possible, thus creating a huge splash.
So how do you put a 2.5m net in a peg which is 3ft deep in front of you quietly?
I assume you must then get your landing net handle and push the net right out so that you don't have 50lb of carp sat in 3ft of water?
Which isnt really any different to gently throwing it out in front of you splash or no splash.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I have two 4 meter nets in the garage, used them for an old reservoir i used to match fish on, quite high banks.

Rigmann

Site Supporter
Couldn’t you use clothes pegs to clamp two rings together to reduce the length of a 3m to 2.5m?
Just a thought

stephanie

i have been told i have too many keepnets but as others said some days you draw on a bunch of fish and a 50lb limit can be reached real fast. i normally drop 4 in at the start and have others sat behind my box. its the looks you get when people see you dipping multiple nets prior to a match that gets me the most. better to be prepared than having to ask if anyone has a spare net