Keepnet Length?

J W

John
Hi folks

Just after a bit of advice please.

Having been exclusively a pleasure angler, I have put my name down for a few of the club matches this year, just to try something different.

So I now have to get a couple of keepnets and wondered which length would be best, 2.5m or 3m?

The matches will mainly be on commercials so would imagine predominantly F1s and carp, although I can use a keepnet on club waters for silvers.

As well as advice on the best length (ooh err missus), I have another reason daft question. What is the best way to layout the keepnets in the water?

Thanks guys
John

crackatoa

Account Locked
With net limits, there is no need to go bigger than 2.5m. As for putting the nets in, just lower them in gently with as little disturbance as possible.
I see people at club level that use long nets and throw the heavily weighted end as far as possible, thus creating a huge splash. Then they sit there moaning that there are no fish in their peg.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Many match anglers use 2.5m so that they don't interfere with close swims and when carrying multiple nets they take up less space. 2.5 is the minimum allowable by law. I have always gone for 3m in consideration of fish welfare. I only know of one fishery that has a 3m minimum rule. Most have a maximum weight limit per net. I aim for an estimated weight ten pounds less than the max to allow for errors in estimation. Most limits will be around 50lb. That is only ten fish at five pounds each. Not a difficult weight if you get the fish feeding well. Consider whether you may need three nets.

Also know whether silvers or small carp should be in a separate net. If so then three nets would be my minimum.

Place nets in the water and push to their full length with your landing net handle. They should stay roughly where put. I just push the net straight out in front.

The one thing to master is emptying your net. Most fisheries have a rule about not tumbling fish the length of the net. The right way to tip the net out is as follows.

Reach inside the keepnet and pull the second to last ring part way through the top ring. There may be handles inside to help with this. Twist the ring slightly to get it through so that half the ring is in the net and half outside. Grasp the top ring opposite to the side where the bottom ring has been pulled through and then grasp the bottom of the net on that side. You can then pour the fish out like emptying a bucket. Get someone to show you how.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I have a sea weight on one of the loops at the base of the net & picked up a tip from Jon Arthur....he ties a bit of old pole elastic to the other loop & ties this to a bank stick. Especially handy for on canals when the wash from passing boats might move your net.

crackatoa

Account Locked
Most commercials insist on 3 meter long, even our local club has it in the rules 3 meter long.
I fish a few commercials and don't know of any that insist on 3m. I'm not saying that no commercials insist on 3m but it certainly isn't most.
Most have net limits around 50lb or 3 nets in, evenly spread

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I always put my first 2 nets around the sides of the platform, and then the middle 2 nets straight down the front ...I never push the nets out as that ruins your short line ...Also the way I put them in blocks hooked fishes route under the platform , all the nets are attached using a keepnet bar

J W

John
I always put my first 2 nets around the sides of the platform, and then the middle 2 nets straight down the front ...I never push the nets out as that ruins your short line ...Also the way I put them in blocks hooked fishes route under the platform , all the nets are attached using a keepnet bar
What length of net do you use mate?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
My blog on starting match fishing may be of interest. The most important part is right at the end.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Cheers Chefster. I could fish fron now 'til kingdom come and I couldn't fill 7 nets😂
If net limits are 50lb, you need to err on the side of caution to avoid going over , so best to spread the fish in a few more...At Tunnel I always put 4 in straight away now the weather is picking up, 6-7 nets are for when I really draw on a stack 😂😂

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Cheers Chefster. I could fish fron now 'til kingdom come and I couldn't fill 7 nets😂
Five is my best.

Five Nets Zoomed.JPG

J W

John
My blog on starting match fishing may be of interest. The most important part is right at the end.

Thanks again mate. I shall print off the And Finally section and pin it to my side tray😂
Although if there's one thing I do have a talent for it's moaning and complaining!

J W

John
If net limits are 50lb, you need to err on the side of caution to avoid going over , so best to spread the fish in a few more...At Tunnel I always put 4 in straight away now the weather is picking up, 6-7 nets are for when I really draw on a stack 😂😂
I'm not sure I could live with the embarrassment of pulling more nets out of the water at the end of the match than fish😃