Keepnet length

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
Hi all merry Christmas!

what length of keepnet do you all use on commercials for carp, been looking at 2.5m is this long enough you think?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I use a 3 metre one with pull through handles, (Dinsmores). There's a fishery I went to last year where the margins were too shallow to use anything shorter.

bigmac1

I have been using a 3m net but I've just bought a 2.5m guru net. My thinking behind it is simple, I have never come anywhere near filling the 3m net so a 2.5m should be fine lol

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I still use 3m nets but as net limits get lower I'll buy 2.5m ones in future plus you can squeeze more shorter ones into a stink bag.

johng19

me@home.com
Do many fisherys state the max length now with mainly 50lbs limits, iv not really noticed. I say 2.5 is well long enough for 50lbs.

nejohn

Site Supporter
3m for me also, the longer the better in my eyes more room for the fish to move about in

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You also have to take into account high pegs or banks. There's no use having a 2.5m net if half a metre is above water and the next half a metre is the fold. It only leaves 1.5m for the fish to move around in and if the water is shallow as well, that's not a lot of water

Paul.P

Its a bit of a catch 22 really, if the margins are shallow you need a long net to get out into the deeper water but then you need to land your catch further out, fine unless your using short topkits, when the fish can sometimes get caught up in the net.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all merry Christmas!

what length of keepnet do you all use on commercials for carp, been looking at 2.5m is this long enough you think?
I have 3m ones but wish I got 2.5m because they take up less of the swim in front or to the side but I've been thinking of shortening them back

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You also have to take into account high pegs or banks. There's no use having a 2.5m net if half a metre is above water and the next half a metre is the fold. It only leaves 1.5m for the fish to move around in and if the water is shallow as well, that's not a lot of water
I can’t recall ever having been to a commercial that has high banks or margins so shallow that a 2.5m net is too short. Natural venues, well that’s different and a longer net can be needed.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
But surely with most anglers now using footplates and nets attached at the top of front legs or on accessory bars you always have something like 0.75 to a metre of net out of the water.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
But surely with most anglers now using footplates and nets attached at the top of front legs or on accessory bars you always have something like 0.75 to a metre of net out of the water.
I have my nets set quite low but yes a fair amount is out of the water on some venues .I've seen 10 pounders jump out of nets so not too low though ..

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can’t recall ever having been to a commercial that has high banks or margins so shallow that a 2.5m net is too short. Natural venues, well that’s different and a longer net can be needed.

Alders Farm pegs 25 to 30 to name one

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It would be interesting to see some figures on sales 2.5m v 3.0m, I can’t see that 0.5m makes much difference and maybe it’s better (for bigger fish) to limit the fishes movement.
I’ve never seen a fishery have a net size rule, but maybe there is one?

Last edited: