KEEPNET BAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

carper2002

'Ronnie'
Should keepnets be banned from all types of fishing except match's because i can't see an alternative for match fishing but pleasure fishing i can't see the need for a keepnet its got to be unfair to the fish so for the welfare of the fish i think there should be a ban on keepnets for pleasure fishing a lot of fisheries have banned them
WHAT DO YOU THINK FOR OR AGAINST KEEPNETS

nono.gif

RONNIE (carper2002)

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I have not used a keep net since June of last year for my own fishing.

I donated mine to "Skylarks" when I was with them in September, as they want them to show the guests their catch at the end of the day.

I do not enter matches and can see no point in using one for my pleasure fishing, but I have no objections to any one else using one as long as the fish they keep in them are not too big.

Perhaps if I was fishing for barbel regularly I would use one to help the fish recover, but the chance of me catching a barbel is very remote.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Very emotive issue this Ronnie.
As a club match angler i have to say that i don't have a problem with keepnets as long as they are properly used,any more than i have a problem with specimen hunters sacking fish.

The problem comes when either of these retention systems are misused.
As someone who has been involved with getting youngsters into angling i can assure you that nothing captures their imagination,and generates enthusiasm quite as much as being able to see the results of a fishing session in a keepnet at the end,[:)]

As with all items of fishing tackle,it's a question of educating people to the proper & appropriate use of these pieces of equipment.

The following is the NFA's Code of Conduct for the use of Keepnets.

1. Wet hands before holding fish.

2. Once positioned, avoid all unnecessary disturbance.

3. Always use the largest keepnet possible.

4. Always submerge the maximum amount of keepnet.

5. When safe to do so, on still or shallow waters always peg out the
keepnet to prevent collapse.

6. Always place the keepnet as near to fishing position as possible.Preferably immediately in front, so fish can be placed in the keepnet as gently and quickly as possible.

7. Retain fish in keepnet for minimum period of time.

8. Do not overcrowed keepnets. When big catches are expected,
take two nets.

When returning the fish to the water or weighing:

9. Collapse the keepnet and place the fish gently in the weighing bag or back into the water.

10. Do not slide or tumble fish down the keepnet.

From a personal point of view i feel that there are times when the use of a keepnet can be benificial as returning certain species straight away can certainly spook a shoal.(bream & chub most notably in my experience.)

For the specimen anglers amongst us the following are the S.A.C.G's guidelines on the use of tubes & sacks.......

Sacks & tubes

Use only when necessary, and retain fish for the minimum time possible.
Large fish that have been retained for a prolonged period can be difficult to handle.

These accessories should be of a reputable make, with plenty of holes to provide a good water exchange.
Ensure that they are in good condition, otherwise fish could be damaged.

In use, secure in deep water only, even at night.
In shallow margins fish may suffer or die due to extremes of temperature or lack of oxygen.

Stake out securely, placing only one fish per sack or tube.
In rivers, ensure that the fish face upstream.

Check fish regularly, and release them immediately if they show signs of distress.
Hold them upright in the water (facing upstream in rivers),
until they are strong enough to swim off.

For catfish, zander, perch, big bream and barbel- only tubes should be used,
and must be large enough to properly accommodate the fish.
Big bream can however also be kept safely in large keepnets with 28" diameter rings.
Framed sacks are also suitable.

To help prevent the spread of disease, thoroughly dry all nets
and sacks between sessions.

The health and welfare of the fish must always be your
first priority.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
quote:perhaps if I was fishing for barbel regularly I would use one to help the fish recover, but the chance of me catching a barbel is very remote
Geoff, its not advisable to put barbel in a keep net the spine at the front of the dorsal fin has a nasty habit of getting caught in the mesh.
I rarely use a keep net but some times returning fish straight away has the effect of taking the rest of the shoal with them. Chub are probably the biggest culprits for this.
I think that this is one of those subjects that should be left to the individuals preference and not subject to critisisam.

chill out go fishing

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Point very well put Peter, I dont use a keepnet very often, infact the one I got last christmas has yet to have a fish in it, but the way I feel is that thay should not be banned but people should be educated in there use

Dai Fish

carper2002

'Ronnie'
hi peter
very informative thanks for the information ive fished for about 3 years and have never used any of the items you've mentioned
like i said i cannot think of an alternative for the match angler
but thats interesting about the size of the keepnet (28" dia) for
big bream but how do you feel about a limit in weight per keep net or amount of fish
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:how do you feel about a limit in weight per keep net or amount of fish

On a lot of the commercials down here there is a 2 keepnet rule in place.1 for carp and 1 for the silvers.Personally i normally take 3 nets with me.(just in case)
On waters that our club feels there is a chance of large numbers of fish being caught and retained,then we have a half hour break in the middle to allow the fish to be weighed and returned.

Actually trying to enforce a maximum weight per keepnet rule would be almost impossible to enforce as some anglers are better at estimating the weight of fish caught than others, and it's also easy to loose count of how many you've caught if the action is fast and furious.
Really it's all down to the common sense of the individual.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

jonesr

A good subject to post.This could run and run.
I have fished club matches for the last few years,and have had to use a keepnet for these.(sometimes Two).Down here we often have a break halfway.After 3 hours on 6 hour matches Some waters insist on it!We also have a club rule to the effect that ANY fish over 3lb is weighed straight away and returned.We also have as a club enough scales (identical)to go 1 set per 3 swims.This works as a club because we trust everybody to weigh their own and ask either of the swims to verify weights and log onto the pads put with the scales.
But I dont carry keepnets at all if pleasure fishing.
[:)]P.S.The break is handy sometimes where food and drink is availlable!
[:(]There is one problem we have found,and that is sometimes the fish go off the feed during the break with no feed going in.

Ron J

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

Last edited:

Larry

Lazarus
On my club waters there is a keepnet ban till 1st sept except for matches.IN MATCHES 2 KEEPNETS 1 FOR CARP I SILVER FISH. Pleasure fishing with net's all nets have to emptied at 12noon & sooner if alot have fish have been caught.I personally like to use a net where i can i like to see what iv.e caught.

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

MALC

Carper2002

Simple answer.

If you don't want to use Keepnets DONT.

If you do want to use Keepnets USE THEM.

As Peter has said it's not the nets that cause the problem it's improper use of them that are the problem.

Education is the way forward NOT banning.

90% of my fishing is via Matches but 10% is either practise for a match or pleasure fishing and for these i like to have the choice of if i use a keepnet or not and i dont always use a net BUT i do prefer to see my catch at the end of a session.

It should be each to their own without any do gooder trying to force their views on others (i'm not saying you are Ronnie)[:)].

Dont simply shout for a ban because you dont do or like it as that plays straight into the hands of the wrong people.[:)]

Just look at the situation in Germany.!!

Esox

quote:Geoff, its not advisable to put barbel in a keep net the spine at the front of the dorsal fin has a nasty habit of getting caught in the mesh.

As you know it's not only Barbel that have the above habit but Carp as well and with the types of Keepnets available now it is almost unheard of for either species to get stuck in the mesh although in the past almost without exception every fish of either species would suffer due to being hooked up in the mesh.

Dont get me wrong though as i've said in the past even in a match sometimes i'll get a decent fish weighed and returned rather than putting it in a Keepnet.

Anyway with my "JINX" following me around i don't really need Keepnets do i.[;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.