Keepnet Amnesty here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Carrying on from this thread

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/2789

I opened my Anglers paper this morning and what do i see and i quote "Keepnet amnesty for 2003 to cut a long story short apparently loads of us fishermen are using landing nets and keepnets which don't bear the Kite mark.

As from next year if we don't have the kite mark we will not be allowed to fish commercial complexes or premier fisheries uk groups it goes on to say baliffs and owners will be checking all nets and anyone found not to have a net with the kite mark wont be allowed to fish.

But dont worry because if u go along to your local tackle shop you can give them your old nets and they will give you shiny new ones with the Kite mark on them at a discount and also if u save vouchers out of your weekly angling paper you will get a bigger discount.
What a load off smelley stuff, I already have a brand new all dancing all singing super safe nets anyway of which 99% of venues wont let me use anyway, talk about taking the urine.

I for one have decided to throw the keep net away, i will buy the landing net because it is a must for fish safety, but thats it i am afraid in my opinion its daylight robbery and taking adavantage of anglers once again.

Datafile2.gif
Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Last edited:

mike s

I suppose that if you DO hand in your old net(say 6 months old & cost 50) then you'll get something like 5 off a new one!
I own a tackle shop but this is one moneyspinner that can go stick it's head up a dead bears' bum!

"Wot, no Fish!"

MALC

Al,

It's only the large meshed nylon type of Landing nets which are the issue, (yes the one's that most match anglers appear to be using)(me included)[:(]

Also it's only the Premier Fisheries which are bringing in the Kite mark (at present) of which there are only a handful.

Main reason behind the move is that they are not as kind to the fish as they have a texture of a scouring pad and remove alot of slime from the fish when netted.

In my opinion they are a better net for netting the fish as they slide through the water easier and so speed up the netting process BUT i think they do have a point regards there roughness and as such i'll be getting a couple for when i fish at waters that they are needed.

In the eyes of the none angling public it will be another step forward for angling as we will be seen to be taking another step forward in protecting the welfare of the fish that we catch.

One thing i dont agree with is the way it is proposed that the existing Landing nets will be tested, which is by rubbing it across the back of the hand.!!!!

Also the ruling is meant to be effective from January 1st 2003 but the Kite Marked Approved nets are still not in the shops and not expected till sometime in January..!!!!!

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
will the net changes affect any of the venues that are being fished in next years bag up series???

Ian White

Big E
Ive been told that it will be a bit like when the new carp approved nets came in I am of the veiw that anything we can do to protect the fish we catch can only help our cause with the anti fishing mob , But yet again there is not a lot of info being give out by the fisheries or oragasitons as what the rules will be.
ALL THE BEST
MERRY CHIRSMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR Ian White.

martin.

Account Locked
ill stick to my drains, canals & rivers

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

MALC

Gingert76 and everyone else thats fishing The Summer Series.

At present none of the venues we are on are affected by the Kite Mark Landing Nets but if things change then i will advise everyone as soon as i find out.

Gingert76,
As you will already be aware though the match at The Glebe WILL require softer mesh Landing Nets though as Roy Marlow already only allows these.
And he's also one of the main people involved in their introduction.

MALC

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
which softer nets are allowed then, i think mine is soft already but i dont mind buying another one

splodger

Its all new to me, this keepnet kitemark thing so can anyone put up a list of venues which are enforcing this so i can take it to my next fishing club meeting?

SPLODGER

MALC

When i fished The Glebe in September which already enforce the new Landing Net policy (minus the kite mark) i enquired as to which of my nets were ok to use (6 nets were checked).

The 4 that i use most and have also bought most recently FAILED the check.[:(][:(!][:(]

The 2 that i had not used for a few years PASSED the check.[:(][:(!][:(]

The pictures below are of all 6 nets and hopefully they will help identify which are acceptable and which are not.[;)][:(]

Picture 1 is of the nets i use most which are the quick dry type with nylon mesh, which are also known under such names as Scoop and Whoosh.
These FAILED

Picture 2 is of the 2 nets that passed the check and are of a softer material (cotton type !!) with a finer mesh.
These PASSED

Picture 3 is a close up of 1 of the nets mesh which FAILED.

Picture 4 is a close up of 1 of the nets mesh which PASSED.

Hope that helps a little bit..!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

At the moment the only way the nets are being tested at The Glebe is by scrunching them up and rubbing the mesh against the back of the hand.
If its rough then it's failed if it's soft then it has passed (very technical stuff).

Unsure what the procedure will be once nets are actually released for sale with the kite mark though.

As for the venue which these new rules will apply to it's the Premier Fishieries (although more may follow suit) and the only one's i know for sure are in this group are
Mallory Park, The Glebe, Browning Cudmore (dont know how) i know there are a few others but not sure which ones.

MALC

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Give it 2 months and counterfit nets complete with kite mark (also false) will be at every car boot. IF THERE IS A BAN SOME BRIGHT SPARK ALWAYS TRYS TO MAKE A BUCK. Only get your nets from tackle shops or you may get stung.....haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
that is a very technical test! i will wait for the mark and buy one then, at least that way i know my nets will be fine! what about keepnets then? i have a keenets carp mesh keepnet, will that be allowed?????

thanks for the pictures malc, very helpful!

MALC

quote:
what about keepnets then? i have a keenets carp mesh keepnet, will that be allowed?????

From what i found out in September the Keepnets sold at present under various names such as : Carp Friendly, Carp Safe, Carp Mesh are and will be okay.

I know on other site's a lot of people are talking about their keepnets not meeting the standard required for The Glebe but dont worry about it as the only criteria Roy has regards keepnets is that Carp go into a Carp net (full sack type) and other fish go into either a full carp type net or at least have bottom rings in carp mesh.

Hope that helps Tony.

MALC

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D]

Hi all -- I use a Keenets Ghost Slipstream landing net.....does that mean .......its redundant !!!!!!!!! on some waters.....

Daft to be honest....why do they bring them out in the first place.....

Congrats Al for winning a years supply of Ultrabite from IYCF mag !!!

Cheers ..... MOOKIE.....

norm

mookie mate
i have the same net as you ------
fail

the best bit is i was in a tackle shop today
(in sunderland)

and they are still selling the nets that will be band in 1 month time ----

so all them girl friends and wifes that think they are are buying some thing that there boyfriend or husband wants are getting ripped off big time

i even asked were the new nets were that complied with the law, and i was showen the same quick dry nets that i already own

and know for a fact that they will not pass,

so be careful boys and make sure your loverly female friends are not buying you nets from santa, as i can assure you they will be getting ripped off, so the tackle shops can get rid of the nets they have in shop at the min.

i know that there are some genuine people but a lot of tackle shops are selling the nets that will no the legal for long at sale price

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
What have i won a comp in there i have decembers mag and i can't see it mate ? my lucky week i won a shmano baitrunner in anglers mail last week as well lol.

quote:Originally posted by mookie

[:D][:D][:D]

Hi all -- I use a Keenets Ghost Slipstream landing net.....does that mean .......its redundant !!!!!!!!! on some waters.....

Daft to be honest....why do they bring them out in the first place.....

Congrats Al for winning a years supply of Ultrabite from IYCF mag !!!

Cheers ..... MOOKIE.....

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
As i read the article i understand it to be most waters here it is.

Youv'e heard of guns and knife amnestys now top match manufacturer keenets is offerin one on nets.

Loads of you are using landing nets and keepnets which will not meet the new Kite mark standard being introduced in the new year.

commercial complexes including the premier fisheries uk group won't allow you to use a net which as not got the kite mark on also other venue bailiffs and owners will insist on checking your net saying no to harsh meshes notably those found on nylon ghost varietys but rather than chucking out your old nets and splashing out the full ammount on a entirly fish fiendly one you will be able to trade in under keenets scheme starting early 2003 and keenets move will force other firms to follow suit as the nation struggles to get to grips with the change.

Keenets national sales manager Liam Bradel explained anglers will be able to go along to one of our retailers and hand over there old net which is not fish friendly and get money off one with a kite mark on instead we will run a voucher scheme in magazines.

As i say i am all for fish safety but why are tackle shops still allowed to sell the unsafe ones and also will this mean pleasure anglers will be allowed to use them on most fiheries ?.

Last edited:

Tony

There has never been such a more appropriate phrase as "caveat emptor" - buyer beware

If you are buying a new net before the ruling comes into effect, ask the retailer if it complies with the planned, new legislations/ruling.
If they don't know then shop elsewhere.

Under UK law a purchaser can return any item to a retailer if it is found to be unsuitable for the purpose intended. In this case if the customer was to ask the retailer if they are aware of the new legislation about to come into effect and they are, then ask if the net meets the standards laid down in that legislation. If the retailer advises that it does then in the coming months the purchaser has the right to return it for a full refund/exchange to the value of if it is found not to.
A retailer could then argue that they were not fully aware of the legislation at the time, but that would not hold credence as they should not have given you the advice that resulted in the sale in the first instance.
In either circumstance if the retailer refuses to act then the buyer has the option to involve their local Trading Standards department.
If the retailer will not commit themselves then walk away and go to another shop that will.

Take care, Tony

Polepot

Poles
Guys,

I felt propmted into action by this thread.

Point One - Anything that is better for the fish is ok by me.

Over the years we have seen barbless hooks - which will never work LOL - become the standard. Yet we all moaned about them when they first came out.

Point Two.

The intention as understand it is to get a better quality of landing net - which is better for the fish. I do not like Keenets aproach because their giving a false idea and trying to profit from a situation that is not yet sorted.

I am told that the new kite marked nets have not yet been given approval and this will be happening soon but it is only the netting material. That being the case the nets, themselves are unlikely to be going in the shops until late Feb.

Point Three

Common sense should reign in this situation. A net of acceptable quality is a must in this hobby. I am sure that if it is acceptable quality it will not need to be replaced. The idea of the Kite Mark is for people buying new nets so they can be sure they are acceptable. Common how many nets do you see claiming to be Carp friendly and you know they are not?

Now lets stop throwing our toys out of our prams and get on with enjoying the hobby we all love.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
first of all i aint got any toys or prams i sold em to replace the cost of my new nets lmao, i fully agree with comments about fish safety what p****s me off is anglers are being sold nets that won't be allowed next year and the biggest majority of venues won't let you use nets anyways ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.