Keeping Worms

robinta

I had bought a large tub of worms about 2 months ago, and last used them around 6 weeks back.

When I checked on them this week the outcome was... Not good 🤢 and I had to throw the box away and wash everything else in my holdall.

So, I've bought another big box full when fishing this week and have the majority left.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep them so they don't rot/go off again?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Worms like to breathe so keep them in a ventilated container, preferably in a cool area, slightly damp compost but without any additives, and like you and me they like feeding every now and again :)
Check them on a regular basis and remove any dead ones and they should be fine.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
would also add depending how long you keep them and what you feed them you can end up with a lot of liquid in containers so may need checking/draining

much prefer keeping in a sack/pillow case on the garage floor or on cardboard on the floor in really cold weather, living things need the same as we do to live!

62tucker

Site Supporter
Need something with a good lid. Old storage box or bucket. As many small holes 1mm if possible and peat or fine soil. Paper. Cardboard and a damp tea towel on top. Remove lid every other day if possible to let air in and maybe mix up a bit. Keep in dark and cool if possible.
Had a big bag from Willy worms to feed fish tank fish and kept no bother for months.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
I have been experimenting with "Leaf Litter". I gathered up quite a lot of leaves and compressed them in a recycle bin. Just leaves NOTHING ELSE. Took out enough to make a 50/50 split with organic soil (usual used) and DID NOT MIX just placed the leaves on top. The worms just loved it and there were more in the leaves than the soil.
So i sort out what I need (in fact just done that for tomorrow) and put them in a gauze bag with some leaves and into a bait box. The only thing is that you have to sort out and pick out of the leaves at bank side but no big deal.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I keep the small tubs in the fridge, feed them a bit of cucumber and tea leaves and they last for weeks on end. Just damp the compost with an atomiser if it dries out.

legs230258

Site Supporter
I bought a willy worms tub purposely to keep my works alive. It came with 2 boxes of worm feed and 2 large bags of bedding. Still have fit and healthy live worms after 4 months. Tub lives on shed floor. Brilliant. Wished I'd tried one before.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Biggest threat to the health of worms (presumably we're talking dendrobaenas?) is sudden changes in temperature - not something that is a major problem at this time of year but in the summer never keep worms in the fridge.
I keep mine in the bag they come in - one of those white plastic hessian look ones - they're breathable and slightly porous. Depending on the venue I'll either take the whole bag with me or decant a handful of worms into a tub, returning them later. The bag normally lives in the corner of our bin store, so it's kept dry and protected from frost but doesn't get too warm in the summer. In the past I've taken worms to Ireland in September and still been using those I brought back at Christmas.

Simon

garys

Best way is to put worms in a sack and every so often put apple in sliced keeps um moist works a treat